Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 11:17 AM

214 posts, read 260,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
You mean Snobsdale. The women there are mostly laden botox, superficial leathery cougars.
At least they have women.

Old 01-19-2017, 12:05 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,809,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
So you want to move to Florida instead? Good luck with that, especially as it relates to dating.

Florida has, arguably, the lowest quality of people in the entire nation, especially in the major metro areas.

If you think women in Denver have a lot of baggage, just wait 'til you move to Florida, LOL. Everyone in Florida seems to be running from something - an abusive ex-partner or family, a past filled with substance abuse or con artistry, etc.

People in Florida also work a lot, too, and it's not the result of being "career-oriented" in the same respect you describe yourself.

Most people in Florida are uneducated and low-skilled, so they tend to work jobs that pay $10-$15/hour. Problem is, COL is disproportionately high relative to wages, so many people work two or three jobs just to squeak by. It was not uncommon to meet office managers or bankers who work 40-45 hours/week and then have an evening or weekend gig serving at restaurants, working at a clothing store, etc.

Florida is also a very stressful place to live, especially if you've grown up anyplace other than Florida.

If you think people speaking Spanish as a first language is problematic in Southern California, move to South Florida; it'll make Southern California seem like Iowa by comparison, LOL.

Driver habits tend to be very reckless in Florida, too - lots of speeding, tailgating, merging without turn signals, running red lights, etc. Hit-and-runs with pedestrians, cyclists and other motorists are also very common in Florida. Haven't you ever noticed that Florida cities dominate lists such as "Worst Cities for Pedestrians," etc.?

Lots of "fly-by-night" employers down there with very shady and, sometimes, downright unethical business practices. Employers in Florida also make it seem as though they're doing you a favor by hiring you because, let's face it, you're not going to find better or even comparable employment.

The lack of winter is very nice, but not worth it, IMO. You're better off spending the extra money and moving to Orange County or even Scottsdale, AZ.
With all do respect, it seems like a lot of people in Denver are running way from something or someone as well.

I mean does Florida really have these issues or is it all stereotypes inflamed by misconceptions and the media? There are private beaches in North Broward County that are super relaxing (low energy yes, but still nice). I have a buddy from CT who is relocating there and probably even to a more isolated area in the Panhandle for cheap real estate prices and a restart from being in L.A. He went to college in Tampa and loved it. So I'm always skeptical of Florida criticism. Probably because as someone from the Northeast we always went down there on vacations.

Orange County, CA is pretty darn snobbish even compared to the beach cities in L.A. (Playa, Redondo, Hermosa etc.) It's a possibility but if you aren't a sugar daddy it doesn't seem like a good fit.

Scottsdale? Absolutely not. Do you know how Bro-ey it is down there even compared to Denver?

Old 01-19-2017, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
I've obviously never met you in person, but online you come across as "Too good for this hickish cowtown". If you come across that way in real life, I would bet that dating will continue to be a challenge.
Well that's not exactly how I come off and I certainly don't come off that way in public. I used the hick comment in defense of being "eaten alive" for people moving here and not getting into outdoor sports - which by all means is a ridiculous mindset to have over a career.

Think about it, you can't even participate in outdoor sports without having a good career. It's way too expensive. People can live here and not drink the Kool Aid all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Same reaction here, over multiple posts to boot.

I don't see the dark sarcastic humor, only bitter sour grapes. Time to leave and cut the losses, and maybe, find a better match.
Yeah like I'm going to break my lease and weasel out of a job right now because a user on City Data forum told me so

Old 01-19-2017, 02:32 PM

255 posts, read 200,195 times
Default Take the good with the bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
Yeah like I'm going to break my lease and weasel out of a job right now because a user on City Data forum told me so
You have to realize that if you go on any location's forum for discussion, you're going to encounter a few different groups. You'll have the cheerleaders who can see little or no fault in the community they chose to live. You'll have those in between who don't feel strongly one way or the other. And you'll have the cynics who have a negative attitude about the place they live for a variety of reasons relating to their own bad experiences.

My advice is to dig deep and find the answers or suggestions that you find most useful and move on. No matter how you word it, you'll trigger someone for one reason or another. Everyone has their biases. Don't let it bother you.

Best of luck!

Old 01-19-2017, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Careerist View Post
You have to realize that if you go on any location's forum for discussion, you're going to encounter a few different groups. You'll have the cheerleaders who can see little or no fault in the community they chose to live. You'll have those in between who don't feel strongly one way or the other. And you'll have the cynics who have a negative attitude about the place they live for a variety of reasons relating to their own bad experiences.

My advice is to dig deep and find the answers or suggestions that you find most useful and move on. No matter how you word it, you'll trigger someone for one reason or another. Everyone has their biases. Don't let it bother you.

Best of luck!
Very true. The NJ forum is full of the first option you mentioned. Impossible to post with mild criticism without being attacked by cheerleaders.

Around here the cheerleading is along the lines of "cultural protection" = you blend into Colorado culture or you leave.

Old 01-19-2017, 03:21 PM

255 posts, read 200,195 times
Quote:
Very true. The NJ forum is full of the first option you mentioned. Impossible to post with mild criticism without being attacked by cheerleaders.

Around here the cheerleading is along the lines of "cultural protection" = you blend into Colorado culture or you leave.
You will encounter it no matter which forum you post to. It is what it is. Keep your head up and stay positive while you're out and about. Try the things that I, and others, have suggested and see if it works out. I think things will eventually change for you. I'm in a similar situation of trying to find and build new relationships, and I've been here for much longer than you. Unfortunately, it's the course that life takes us as we get older.

Old 01-19-2017, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Careerist View Post
You will encounter it no matter which forum you post to. It is what it is. Keep your head up and stay positive while you're out and about. Try the things that I, and others, have suggested and see if it works out. I think things will eventually change for you. I'm in a similar situation of trying to find and build new relationships, and I've been here for much longer than you. Unfortunately, it's the course that life takes us as we get older.
That I really appreciate it and your posts BTW!

Old 01-19-2017, 04:10 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
Quote:
Well that's not exactly how I come off and I certainly don't come off that way in public. I used the hick comment in defense of being "eaten alive" for people moving here and not getting into outdoor sports - which by all means is a ridiculous mindset to have over a career.

Think about it, you can't even participate in outdoor sports without having a good career. It's way too expensive. People can live here and not drink the Kool Aid all the time.

I personally don't care what you do. You make what you want from the situation you put yourself in. You yourself complained of not fitting in, in the title and the first post.

Old 01-19-2017, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
I personally don't care what you do. You make what you want from the situation you put yourself in. You yourself complained of not fitting in, in the title and the first post.
Nice attitude. Not like you're helping anybody out with your posts and your bad advice.

Old 01-19-2017, 05:35 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
Quote:
Nice attitude. Not like you're helping anybody out with your posts and your bad advice.
Given that you already know it all about everything, nobody could possibly help you. You have to help yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver