U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 09:26 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,666,094 times

Advertisements

Im going to be moving to the area in a few months (probably by march) and have been doing a good bit of online research of the area, where i want to live, etc. Job is in the tech center and apparently there is a light rail station right outside of the building.

When looking for a house, the idea of riding the train each day is kind of appealing but I wanted to get opinions from those of you who either can or do ride it regularly.

How crowded is it during peak times?
How reliable is the timing?
Is it generally a "safe"/clean/not traumatizing experience?

I have researched a little bit of future plans, seems like parker isn't even on the drawing board yet for getting light rail, you locals hear anything different in regards to that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 09:36 AM

255 posts, read 139,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tim Tim View Post

It can get crowded from time to time. The most I've seen it crowded is usually during a big game downtown. But during the typical M-F rush hour grind, it's not horrendous. From my experience, you'll find a seat in most cases.

Reliability is pretty high. I've taken the light rail a number of times and I've only seen it be late once. And how that is possible, I do not understand to this day. Unlike the buses, the train waits for nobody.

I've always experienced a safe and clean ride. Occasionally, on the late night trek home during the weekend, you might find a drunkard passed out or some mildly rowdy folks. But I've not experienced anything that compromised my safety and health. Some women I've met seem to have different feelings about this, as they generally feel less safe alone in public environments. So YMMV.

Last edited by Careerist; 01-19-2017 at 09:55 AM..

Old 01-19-2017, 09:42 AM

902 posts, read 522,038 times
My husband takes the light rail everyday. It's very reliable (except for A line to the airport but that's a separate issue). If you plan on driving to the rail station and parking the time of day as well as the station will make a difference with finding a spot. Some stations have limited parking to where you must get there well before 7:00 am. But if you plan on walking that won't be an issue.

Have you looked at a map of the rail stations? Parker/Lone Tree is getting a station at Ridgegate Parkway which has already broken ground. The train is actually going to cross I-25. And the Lincoln station is not that far already.

Old 01-19-2017, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post
My husband takes the light rail everyday. It's very reliable (except for A line to the airport but that's a separate issue). If you plan on driving to the rail station and parking the time of day as well as the station will make a difference with finding a spot. Some stations have limited parking to where you must get there well before 7:00 am. But if you plan on walking that won't be an issue.

Have you looked at a map of the rail stations? Parker/Lone Tree is getting a station at Ridgegate Parkway which has already broken ground. The train is actually going to cross I-25. And the Lincoln station is not that far already.
I have looked at a map, I see the Lincoln station listed but that doesn't seem like parker (although i dont know the exact city limits.

In the pic attached I circled the area i was thinking for living (this is a real general area, im not dead set on anything yet) but see the last light rail stop on the map.
Attached Thumbnails
Light rail usability-screen-shot-2017-01-19-1.23.56  

Old 01-19-2017, 11:32 AM

369 posts, read 839,607 times
Light rail is awesome if there are stops near your work/home or parking convenient to your commute - timing is usually pretty good (except for new lines that take a while to shake out), it's safe, etc. It can get a bit crowded, but everyone's polite and usually keeps to themselves - especially in this era of ear buds and cell phones. We use it as a family to get into downtown for events from the DU area, and I've commuted multiple jobs into downtown since '99 on it. I currently commute on warm days with my bike on it with no problems. The best was an employer who paid for an Eco-pass and had an office next to Union Station - not many miles on my car those years...

I wouldn't expect it to get out to Parker anytime soon - the current Lone Tree expansion is it for a while. Here's the current plan:

RTD

This has some interesting background on RTD:

How Denver Leaders Pulled Off a Public Transit Miracle - The Atlantic

Old 01-19-2017, 11:42 AM

369 posts, read 839,607 times
Quote:
I have looked at a map, I see the Lincoln station listed but that doesn't seem like parker (although i dont know the exact city limits.

In the pic attached I circled the area i was thinking for living (this is a real general area, im not dead set on anything yet) but see the last light rail stop on the map.
You're correct - Lincoln Station is in a town called Lone Tree, not Parker.

I would guess the area you've circled won't be getting light rail in a very long time, if ever - that area is suburban to exurban to rural, not high enough density for rail.

Check out those Park and Ride stations if you're interested in public transportation. In general, I would say Parker isn't huge on public transportation because it's so low density and folks there tend to lean conservative...

Old 01-19-2017, 11:52 AM

Awesome, thank you all for the info.

I am not dying for it, I just saw that its actually an option here (im from Tampa, Fl, we have 0 public transit). It appeared it *could* be nice so figured id get an idea. Being that more rural sort of people, i'd imagine ill just have to stick to commuting and wait for the Tesla model 3 so i can go all electric

Old 01-19-2017, 03:14 PM

3,246 posts, read 1,614,096 times
The light rail runs so frequently that it is rarely crowded unless there is an event going on. I mean many of the stations have a train every 5 minutes or so during peak times from like downtown to I-25 and Broadway. Most stretches are 5-15 minutes between trains during rush-hour.

I don't know if your buying or renting but the light-rail stations at Yale, Evans (University of Denver) and Colorado (Glendale) are minutes from downtown Denver and the tech center and are for the most part relatively good areas with lots of retail.

The timing is super reliable. They run so frequently, that unless there is an outage or terrible weather then all is well. It just isn't preferable to take the last train in the early AM.

Denver trains are relatively clean, but I noticed they have been not as clean as before. I was in Colorado all of last summer and was just there a few weeks ago.

The thing about Denver trains is all the Denver different zone fares. One can't travel far without being in a different zone. There are stretches where just 5 miles can require buying an regional fare or pass.

With this in mind, many people end up just buying the $171 a month regional pass as opposed to the $99 a month local pass which is great for buses, but with light-rail not so much with only 5 miles of travel in some stretches meaning a higher fare.

Here is a link to RTD fare information and information of the rail routes.

RTD

Old 01-22-2017, 02:26 PM

3,176 posts, read 2,619,490 times
Quote:
Im going to be moving to the area in a few months (probably by march) and have been doing a good bit of online research of the area, where i want to live, etc. Job is in the tech center and apparently there is a light rail station right outside of the building.

When looking for a house, the idea of riding the train each day is kind of appealing but I wanted to get opinions from those of you who either can or do ride it regularly.

I have researched a little bit of future plans, seems like parker isn't even on the drawing board yet for getting light rail, you locals hear anything different in regards to that?

The light rail is well used, but relatively clean. Obviously there's wear and tear and it's not going to be like an Uber, but the seats don't feel gross or leave stains on your clothes or anything. There are a lot of characters who ride, which can be interesting or annoying.

They come every 15 mins for Lincoln Station. You'll always have a seat if you get on there. By downtown it's standing room only most days.

Colorado & Yale stops parking fills up by 7:15, which is annoying as crap if you don't want to get into the office that early.

Coming from Parker, it'll be shorter if you drive, but less stressful if you rail. I'd rather rail as you come into the office in a better mood after reading the news and listening to podcasts than after yelling at the car in front of you.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:03 AM

902 posts, read 522,038 times
Quote:

The Lincoln station is 2 miles west of where Parker officially begins. If you lived near Stonegate it would take you about 10-15 minutes to get to Lincoln station. If you lived in Pinery and had to take Parker Rd (83) it would take considerably longer as many people use 83 as a way to get from the eastern parts of Castle Rock to avoid I-25.I live in Parker and am amazed at the incredible increase in traffic since new subdivisions have exploded. Light rail is great if you live close to a station but not much of a help time-wise overall if you have an extended drive just to get to a station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or