Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 08:58 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times

Advertisements

Nope. It can get cold here but the temps after drop much lower to have the same feeling of coldness as the Northeast, where I lived my whole life before here. I'm still pleasantly surprised at how comfortable it can be to be out and about in weather that seems cold on the thermometer but is much more bearable than the same temps would be elsewhere.

But I also agree with davebarnes, not sure I see the need for yet another thread on this subject when there have been so many already.

Old 01-25-2017, 12:59 PM

137 posts, read 197,040 times
It's not cold here.

Old 01-26-2017, 05:03 AM

15,420 posts, read 9,078,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
If it snows there, it's cold.
^^^^^^^^ This. Snow means freezing temperatures. Freezing temperatures can kill you, if you don't have shelter. How much colder, than cold enough to kill you, would it have to get to be considered cold?

I live here on the Oregon Coast. I consider this to be a mild climate. Because the winters are normally warm, it doesn't normally get below freezing, and the summers are cool (too cool for a lot of people), but I think by definition the climate here is mild. But this year has been cold here. We have had a lot of hard freezes, and one major snowstorm. This is the first time I have seen any snow here. It's been cold here this year. Snow = cold. But looking at the data, our weather as cold is it has been, looks tropical compared to what Denver's weather has been this month.

Looking at the climate data, I can not imagine what criteria you could use to conclude that Denver is not a cold place. On the spectrum of US cities from Chicago and New York, to Honolulu and Miami, Denver might not be the coldest, but it's a lot closer to that end of the spectrum, then to the warm end.

Old 01-26-2017, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
How many times are we going to revisit this issue?
Some friendly advice, that might stop it. It might help if people in Denver would stop making grandiose claims of Denver being some type of tropical paradise. It's hard to take claims of 300 days a year of sunshine seriously, while looking at pictures or video of your airport shut down by a major blizzard.

Old 01-26-2017, 05:48 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,617,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Some friendly advice, that might stop it. It might help if people in Denver would stop making grandiose claims of Denver being some type of tropical paradise. It's hard to take claims of 300 days a year of sunshine seriously, while looking at pictures or video of your airport shut down by a major blizzard.
Maybe you should direct your friendly advice towards the Chamber of Commerce. I don't know anybody in my circle of friends and colleagues that claim Denver is a tropical paradise. Even if they did, who cares? People like the weather here and there is nothing wrong with that. If I remember correctly the photos/videos you are looking at are from the 2006 blizzard. That is the only time I can recall the airport being shut down due to weather since I moved here in 1999.

Old 01-26-2017, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
Maybe you should direct your friendly advice towards the Chamber of Commerce. I don't know anybody in my circle of friends and colleagues that claim Denver is a tropical paradise. Even if they did, who cares? People like the weather here and there is nothing wrong with that. If I remember correctly the photos/videos you are looking at are from the 2006 blizzard. That is the only time I can recall the airport being shut down due to weather since I moved here in 1999.

The Chamber of Commerce or whoever is making the claim doesn't matter. As long as the claims are being made, people who are more informed, will probably take issue with it. Denver has a reputation of a city that gets a lot of snow and cold weather, while the locals all deny it. Which will naturally cause differences of opinion.

Google says the last time the Denver Airport was shut down because of a blizzard was March 23, 2016. Less than a year ago. I guess you forgot about that one. You might be able to block those blizzards and cold weather out of your mind, but they make national news, so everybody in the country knows about them.

Quote:
Blizzard Shuts Down DIA, Closes Highways
March 23, 2016 5:12 PM

DENVER (AP) – A powerful spring blizzard stranded travelers at Denver’s airport and shut down hundreds of miles of highway in Colorado, Wyoming and Nebraska as it spread into the Midwest on Wednesday.

Snow blown by gusts up to around 50 mph made it unsafe for planes to land or take off at Denver International Airport, leading officials to close it around midday.

Old 01-26-2017, 07:18 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,124,244 times
I consider Denver to be cold.

While it is nice that the sun is out making everyone feel better about the 30 degree day, when the sun goes down, the temperature drops 20 - 30 degrees. As I type this, the sun has not yet come up, so it is 11 degrees (with a wind chill of -1) and the high will be 33 degrees. Because my job starts so early in the morning, I only get to see the last hour of sunlight of the day, and at that point, the indirect sun and dropping temps make the temperature seem as cold as it is.

My neighborhood is near the foothills, so we see a lot of wind through the winter and into April.

Old 01-26-2017, 07:26 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
It's an unanswerable question.

Denver's summers often have days that are 90+, sometimes even hitting 100 degrees. Do you consider Denver to be "hot"?

After all, people have been known to die in temperatures over 100 degrees if they don't have air conditioning. How much hotter, than hot enough to kill you, would it have to get to be considered hot?

Denver is a 4 season climate. Some days in some seasons are hot; some days in some seasons are cold.

Old 01-26-2017, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
The Chamber of Commerce or whoever is making the claim doesn't matter. As long as the claims are being made, people who are more informed, will probably take issue with it. Denver has a reputation of a city that gets a lot of snow and cold weather, while the locals all deny it. Which will naturally cause differences of opinion.

Google says the last time the Denver Airport was shut down because of a blizzard was March 23, 2016. Less than a year ago. I guess you forgot about that one. You might be able to block those blizzards and cold weather out of your mind, but they make national news, so everybody in the country knows about them.

I completely forgot that blizzard. My bad. We tend to get a lot of snow but it also doesn't stick around long at all. That March blizzard snow was gone in just a few days.

I have never agreed with the 300 days of sunshine because it counts days that start out sunny but end up cloudy or stormy.

I am originally from Southern California and I find it pleasant here. It doesn't beat Southern California's weather but not very many places do. I think a lot of people deny it because they have lived or visited places that the weather is cold all Winter and snow never melts until mid to late Spring.

To each their own.

Old 01-26-2017, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
It's an unanswerable question.

Denver's summers often have days that are 90+, sometimes even hitting 100 degrees. Do you consider Denver to be "hot"?

After all, people have been known to die in temperatures over 100 degrees if they don't have air conditioning. How much hotter, than hot enough to kill you, would it have to get to be considered hot?

Denver is a 4 season climate. Some days in some seasons are hot; some days in some seasons are cold.
Great comment. I tried to rep you but I have to spread it around a bit first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: