U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 07:46 PM

5,074 posts, read 2,033,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I didn't realize we had 300 day years here in Denver. We must, otherwise, the fact that there could be one blizzard day per year makes 300 incorrect, right?

In any case, I think pretty much everyone I know considers the 300 days of sunshine claim pretty spurious but it's not completely wrong either IMO - I'm happy with approximately 300 days with *at least some sun* during that day. That's more than in many places, and it's plenty for me. I think anyone who assumes that means 300 days of 100% sunshine is just looking for something to be petty about.
By that definition of "at least some sun" almost any place can make that claim. The same claim is made here in Oregon, but nobody here actually believes it.

Bend, Sunriver and Central Oregon Weather | Visit Central Oregon

Old 01-26-2017, 08:25 PM

12,252 posts, read 8,038,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
By that definition of "at least some sun" almost any place can make that claim. The same claim is made here in Oregon, but nobody here actually believes it.

Bend, Sunriver and Central Oregon Weather | Visit Central Oregon
Why does it bother you that people here believe it? The only time I hear people talking about it is on this forum and it is usually somebody from out of state challenging it. I know we do get our fair share of sun every year but I have never believed it was 300 days.

It is cold here tonight, supposed to get down to around 10 degrees. The weather for the weekend is forecast to be in the mid to upper 50s during the day. To a lot of people that is considered mild. It is not uncommon to have quite a few 50 and 60 degree days in the winter.

I guess I don't understand your point. Are you just trying to prove people wrong about the days of sunshine? Pretty much everyone will agree we don't get nearly as much as advertised. Are you trying to prove that it is cold here? We already know it gets cold and most of us like it. I think a lot of us like it here because we know that it will be cold for a day or two or even longer on occasion but that "mild" weather is coming back real soon. People in other states don't have those nice days mixed in with the cold days so they tend to be more miserable this time of year.

Old 01-26-2017, 10:08 PM

5,074 posts, read 2,033,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
Why does it bother you that people here believe it? The only time I hear people talking about it is on this forum and it is usually somebody from out of state challenging it. I know we do get our fair share of sun every year but I have never believed it was 300 days.

It is cold here tonight, supposed to get down to around 10 degrees. The weather for the weekend is forecast to be in the mid to upper 50s during the day. To a lot of people that is considered mild. It is not uncommon to have quite a few 50 and 60 degree days in the winter.

I guess I don't understand your point. Are you just trying to prove people wrong about the days of sunshine? Pretty much everyone will agree we don't get nearly as much as advertised. Are you trying to prove that it is cold here? We already know it gets cold and most of us like it. I think a lot of us like it here because we know that it will be cold for a day or two or even longer on occasion but that "mild" weather is coming back real soon. People in other states don't have those nice days mixed in with the cold days so they tend to be more miserable this time of year.
I was just agreeing with the original comment I saw. "If it snows there, it's cold." I agree with the comment. It's fine if you like the cold. But there appeared to be quite a few comments challenging the notion that Denver is a cold place, and claiming that it's actually a mild city.

I actually find it more interesting that people in Denver seem so defensive about the weather. In most places, people complain about the weather all the time, and it doesn't seem to generate such a reaction.

Old 01-27-2017, 12:38 AM

5,440 posts, read 8,110,118 times
Overall, no. When it's the middle of July and feels like a sauna, definitely not. I like to think of it as a mild city as well
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
SHOOK

Old 01-27-2017, 02:14 AM

144 posts, read 108,454 times
You can put me in the mild winter camp.

It's all relative of course and depends on what you are comparing Denver too. I grew up in northern Indiana near Lake Michigan (think an hour from Chicago) and lived in Erie, PA about two hours from Buffalo and two hours from Cleveland prior to living in Denver for a few years in the mid to late 80s and found Denver so much more mild in the winter than any other place I had lived. Loved that winter sun that melted the snow in Denver proper, but the snow in the mountains available for skiing any weekend. I had moved from an area that had snow on the ground all year between Dec. and February, so this was warm and mild.

The dry climate also doesn't "chill you to the bone" like some more humid climates. And summer is just "Oh so pleasant". We don't live in the Denver area any more, but there is many a summer vacation where we fly into Denver, acclimate for a day, and spend a week in the mountains enjoying the stunning beauty and heavenly summer climate. In fact, we have a week planned for vacationing in the state this coming July.

Every climate has it's pros and cons. The dry means less lushness and greenness and fewer broad leaf trees for a stunning fall. And in the mountains above the tree line in the winter with the wind it is freezing. Burr.

All in all I think the Denver climate is pretty darn nice. I don't live there now, but think it's the nicest climate of the hand full of places where I have lived.

The great climate, city amenities, and mountain access were enough to get me to take a look at possibly moving back to Denver for retirement. Housing prices in the areas I like, though, mean I've scratched that idea. Housing prices in Denver's charming older neighborhoods were very comparable to other reasonably sized midwest cities in the 80s, but the popularity and growth of the area (somewhat understandable) and the limited inventory of close in places that ooze with charm (Denver is a pretty new city) have made the neighborhoods I like awfully expensive (again relative to what you are comparing it to -- in my case, other reasonably sized midwest cties with metro areas with populations between one million and four million people).

Old 01-27-2017, 09:14 AM

20,842 posts, read 39,064,756 times
In the 11 years I've been moderating these Colorado forums, the issue of weather has been beat to death, over and over.

Time to close this thread and let people focus on more substantive issues. Thank you.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or