U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2006, 09:16 PM

7 posts, read 55,342 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I just got a job near Leetsdale/Parker (Denver/Aurora line). I am trying to keep my commute under 30 minutes (Belmar is about 35/40). I'm a single female and so concerned with safety. I've looked into Breakers, Lakewood Towers, Willows, and other complexes but it is time-consuming and the ones I find on-line are the more expensive, bigger community ones. I want to keep costs under $750/mo ($850 with utilities, trash, water, etc) and would prefer a 2BR.

I've heard Belmar area is safer (and I asked a police officer there about it too) but I *would* like to be closer to work if possible. I do like the thought of living there as I am closer to the mountains and hiking/walking.

I drove in the area and found a few other complexes near Belmar (Cape and Huntington?) but can't find info on the web.

I also like the thought of living near Denver University but unsure if that's a safe area(?).

Does anyone know of less expensive apartment complexes or rentals near Belmar OR closer to where I work (but I would prefer a gated community) in a safer neighborhood? I know craigslist.com lists individual's renting, but I'd appreciate any leads! Thus far, Breakers is the only gated community I've found.

I've read some of the other threads and really grateful to all who post and enlighten Denver newbies!

Much thanks and happy winter! (It IS winter, right?

Annie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2006, 09:28 PM

649 posts, read 2,695,243 times
I am not familiar w/ the Denver area. But go to http://www.familywatchdog.us/ and that will give you and idea of safety. You can also go to the local police department and get the crime rates for those areas. I do agree w/ you that you need to be very careful where you move! bashep

Old 12-02-2006, 08:26 AM

10,905 posts, read 29,393,405 times
Try Centennial, Parker & souther Aurora for good place to live that are closer to you. Lakewood to Parker/Leetsdale would be 50 minutes on a good day in traffic. Even Palomino Park in HR (gated) would be easier commute. There is also one on County Line Road between Colorado & University.

A few gated communities here leave the gate open during the day.

I don't know why you prefer a gated community, they are not popular here. Gated communities do not get city/county maintenance services for snow removal & road repair.

Old 12-02-2006, 10:53 AM

210 posts, read 1,258,800 times
There are some newer, nicer apartment buildings going up around the University of Denver. To the east is the Observatory Park neighborhood, which is pretty safe and is a beautiful neighborhood. To the west, it's still nice, but it slowly goes downhill as you move west towards Broadway. Overall, that is a safe area, although they have very recently had a few problems with attempted robberies, assaults, etc on pedestrians (mostly late at night). Belmar is a nice area but would be a long commute, as others have noted. I think 2bindenver has some excellent suggestions of places to look into, and I really don't have anything to add, except good luck!

Old 12-02-2006, 03:08 PM

649 posts, read 2,695,243 times
I think she was looking for a gated community, so there is a less chance of crime and people that are not tenants getting in there. bashep

Old 12-02-2006, 03:24 PM

210 posts, read 1,258,800 times
Hi bashep,

I know.... a couple of the new complexes going up by DU are essentially gated in their setup.

Old 12-03-2006, 08:55 PM

7 posts, read 55,342 times
Thanks to all! Yes; I am looking for gated (near Denver area) because of the added security. I can walk to work from Breakers (a plus).
And thanks for the familywatchdog link - that really helps too!

The best to you all!
Annie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or