U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2017, 08:49 AM

34 posts, read 28,778 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody! Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this and share your thoughts, advice, and experiences! So here's my story: I'm from a smaller-ish town in Florida (Port St Lucie) and am planning to move away from here as I am sick of it because there is nothing to do at all for someone my age. My job (real estate) is very well paying and is easily transferred, especially with the way I do my business, so it will be pretty easy for me to start over, so I'm not worried about money. I keep hearing incredible things about Denver so I figured I would check on here to see if all the hype is true! Here's what I'm looking for and interested in:
1. Somewhere with a lot of people my age - preferably new college graduates and young professionals. Are there a lot of people my age here? As I said in the title, I am single so it is important to me to have plenty of young women around for me to socialize with.
2. GREAT NIGHTLIFE - I love nice bars, breweries (which I've heard Denver is famous for), and nice restaurants. But I also do like the night club and specifically techno club scene. Is Denver a good place for this?
3. Walkable downtown. I already know Denver has this so I'm not worried about that.
4. Where in Denver should I live? I'm planning to visit Denver next month so I'm going to be scoping out the city for a week or two and will wanna take a look at some apartment complexes. What are the best areas for people my age, like where the highest concentration of recent college graduates and other young professionals is?

Based on what I've said I'm looking for, in your opinion, is Denver a good city for me to consider? And if so, please answer #4 so I can tour apartments in that area when I visit!

Thank you again for taking the time to read this and share your opinions and advice! I am planning to come to Denver next month so I wanna know a good amount about the city before I visit so I can spend my time here checking out the smaller details! Thank you everyone!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2017, 12:05 PM

648 posts, read 1,658,205 times
from your post you really haven't given a reason to come to Denver. That being said, and for what you have listed as being important and from my personal experience, I would go to DC. Not that Denver doesn't have those things, but DC has it on a much grander scale. As I have stated many times before in other posts, I have huge issues with mass transit here. Denver 16th street mall area is very walkable, but you still have to get there. So, unless you are living in the area you'll be using uber/taxi or driving.

Like Denver, DC's housing market is pretty stout, but I have no idea how hard that is to break into. I think that would be one of my first hurdles to get past if I were looking to move and stay within the same profession. I really don't know how much of a difference there is in apartment/condo renting between the two cities. Again, I am sure it depends on location. Not worry about that aspect when I/we moved here, the only real difference in price that I noticed was gas. Going out, groceries, etc were basically the same. We paid $2000/month for a two bedroom house with a yard, finished basement, one car garage and about a mile from the Silver Spring Metro and about a mile from Takoma park metro on Valley St.

Old 02-23-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mettler View Post
from your post you really haven't given a reason to come to Denver. That being said, and for what you have listed as being important and from my personal experience, I would go to DC. Not that Denver doesn't have those things, but DC has it on a much grander scale. As I have stated many times before in other posts, I have huge issues with mass transit here. Denver 16th street mall area is very walkable, but you still have to get there. So, unless you are living in the area you'll be using uber/taxi or driving.

Like Denver, DC's housing market is pretty stout, but I have no idea how hard that is to break into. I think that would be one of my first hurdles to get past if I were looking to move and stay within the same profession. I really don't know how much of a difference there is in apartment/condo renting between the two cities. Again, I am sure it depends on location. Not worry about that aspect when I/we moved here, the only real difference in price that I noticed was gas. Going out, groceries, etc were basically the same. We paid $2000/month for a two bedroom house with a yard, finished basement, one car garage and about a mile from the Silver Spring Metro and about a mile from Takoma park metro on Valley St.
The reasons being that I've heard nothing but good things about it. From how laid back it is, to the snowboarding (which I LOVE), to the legal marijuana, to the breweries located throughout, good nightlife, etc.

Old 02-23-2017, 01:10 PM

902 posts, read 522,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin1232 View Post
The reasons being that I've heard nothing but good things about it. From how laid back it is, to the snowboarding (which I LOVE), to the legal marijuana, to the breweries located throughout, good nightlife, etc.
Have you ever been to Denver? It's a great city but sometimes the good points can be overhyped. I'd suggest visiting the city to scout out locations and to get a real feel of where you'd want to live. I agree with the mass transit still being inconvenient. Also, if you are in real estate how will it work with having a license to practice in Colorado? The market here is hot of course but there are many agents in the business.

Old 02-23-2017, 01:57 PM

1,510 posts, read 2,225,246 times
Do some homework on the rent prices in Denver and surrounding areas. Not sure what it is where you are, but rents are very high here.

Old 02-23-2017, 03:06 PM

759 posts, read 582,040 times
You have "Great Nightlife" in bold, which leads me to believe that you would be very disappointed in the nightlife here. We have some, but it's nowhere near what you would have in other major cities. People here are more of the couple with a dog and kid, day drinking at a brewery, and going to bed early crowd. Night life here is enough when you visit or are on vacation, but not really enough to sustain a lower 20s guy full time.

Denver is a very cool looking city, and the mountains are fantastic...but like many say on here, "you can't eat the scenery".

Denver is walkable, but it's not THAT walkable. There aren't enough ways to easily get from neighborhood to neighborhood without a car.

Old 02-23-2017, 03:08 PM

74 posts, read 63,592 times
Quote:
while yes, what you've been told is mostly true there is also some glaring negatives to Denver that no one really tells outsiders. One of which being how expensive it is in the long run. Most tell you its expensive but dont really tell you that it keeps getting more expensive every quarter and every year, they kind of down play it mainly because they may be established already or figured out how to keep up with the increasing cost of living here. Another downside is the traffic. Traffic is one of the biggest things other than the COL that people complain about but I have no issue with it. One of the growing issues I'm hearing now from several young people who moved here is that Denver is not the utopia they had heard so much about, like that its so close to the mountains and that they think its green( its usually not, its more of an arid landscape) and they hear that its apparently got this great top notch public transport system. I have no clue what they are talking about, While its used frequently I still see it being ignored by those outside the city center. The homeless population is really really bad now, in 2011 the homeless were just down town basically, then in 2014 they were farther out in close suburbs and now in 2017 they have grown and have started showing up a block from my friends house at 92nd and federal in westminster. And the worst part is that a lot of the homeless are not old but very young in the age range of 19-early 30s.

Over all Denver is a wonderful city and I do think you'd like but you should know that people also hide the sad realities of the city and like to inflate its pluses. Me and my friends like it but we all know its not the beacon of perfection that so many rave about, Its not anywhere close to LA, San Diego, San Fransisco or any of the other huge coast cities even though people have made it seem like to outsiders.

Old 02-23-2017, 03:25 PM

24 posts, read 20,949 times
Quote:
title, I am single so it is important to me to have plenty of young women around for me to socialize with.
2. GREAT NIGHTLIFE - I love nice bars, breweries (which I've heard Denver is famous for), and nice restaurants. But I also do like the night club and specifically techno club scene. Is Denver a good place for this?
As somebody who is single and loves the nightlife here, I'm differ from the comments some others have made. I've lived in Chicago, New York and a year abroad in Barcelona, and I will say Denver has excellent nightlife, particularly if you are young and into techno/EDM. As this article notes, "Denver is steadily becoming one of the biggest markets in America for electronic dance music."

Denver, Colorado - The Best Cities in America for Dance Music Right Now | Complex

For fun neighborhoods filled with young people, I'd check out these neighborhoods:

RiNo
Uptown
Five Points
LoHi
Capitol Hill
Baker (all around South Broadway)
West City Park

Some locals here are increasingly irritated by the influx of new residents, so I would regard negative opinions and comments with some skepticism. Just my two cents. This city is amazing!

Old 02-23-2017, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritapriati View Post
As somebody who is single and loves the nightlife here, I'm differ from the comments some others have made. I've lived in Chicago, New York and a year abroad in Barcelona, and I will say Denver has excellent nightlife, particularly if you are young and into techno/EDM. As this article notes, "Denver is steadily becoming one of the biggest markets in America for electronic dance music."

Denver, Colorado - The Best Cities in America for Dance Music Right Now | Complex

For fun neighborhoods filled with young people, I'd check out these neighborhoods:

RiNo
Uptown
Five Points
LoHi
Capitol Hill
Baker (all around South Broadway)
West City Park

Some locals here are increasingly irritated by the influx of new residents, so I would regard negative opinions and comments with some skepticism. Just my two cents. This city is amazing!
Thank you so much for your opinion! I'm definitely excited to check out the EDM scene, as that is my primary scene! I can certainly understand some of the locals' irritation with everyone coming to Denver though. It probably does get annoying.

Old 02-23-2017, 04:35 PM

414 posts, read 257,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jHolman91 View Post
The homeless population is really really bad now, in 2011 the homeless were just down town basically, then in 2014 they were farther out in close suburbs and now in 2017 they have grown and have started showing up a block from my friends house at 92nd and federal in westminster. And the worst part is that a lot of the homeless are not old but very young in the age range of 19-early 30s.
The homeless have definitely hit the outer suburbs. I've seen an uptick in panhandlers here in Unincorporated Jefferson county around the Southwest Plaza area. The ones I have seen are in their 20-30's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or