Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 04:01 AM

2 posts, read 1,692 times

Advertisements

I am a schoolteacher and my wife is a nurse. We have two children under two, we live in a brand-new house that was built two years ago, and I have a new school teaching job that I love. The school I work at is great, the principal is amazing, and my parents also moved from Rhode Island to be with their grandkids here in Florida.

We moved from Rhode Island three years ago to get away from the winters. After being in Florida for three years I don't think is what we want. We both have steady income and reliable jobs here in Florida. If we sold our house we would roughly make 30 to 50 grand. I have relatives on the outskirts of Denver and I've also lived in Colorado for four years. I have many friends there and love the outdoor life. The last month or so we have really been talking about moving to Colorado and putting our house on the market.

Now that we have talked to a realtor and cleaned up our house I am starting to get cold feet. The job outlook in the Denver area and surrounding area makes me nervous. My wife would get a job no problem as a nurse with over 10 years experience in critical care. I currently do not have a teaching certification but I would be able to teach under a temporary certification in Colorado. I would also like to teach math and I don't think I would have that difficult of a time eventually finding a teaching position in math.

I've made a pros and cons list and I am still driving myself crazy. I know I would love to go hiking and skiing and be with my cousins who also have two small kids but I am very nervous on ruining what we have good here. Yay for when we move to Colorado we would have to pay for daycare which is expensive and I budgeted that in. I don't think they care and be a bad thing I think it would be good for my kids. My wife is also in grad school which could be very stressful. As much as I thought we don't want to be in Florida and I want to go to Colorado and living that lifestyle now that we have the chance to do it I'm getting cold feet.

I know the schools are much much better in Colorado for my children and in general I like the lifestyle and people that live in Colorado. But we have worked hard as well to get to the position we are in a new home and comfortable finances.

I know in another month or so come April May June July August September I will probably be pulling my hair out because it will be 120° here in Florida. The weather in the summer is so unbearable you basically just don't go outside. The weather we currently have right now is whether people were born for and maybe that is impairing my decision as well as cold feet. In my pros and cons list I don't know if the pros way evenly to some of the cons. I can't even remember what made me want to move out of Florida so much to the point where now that we are ready to sell our house and I have a applied to jobs in Colorado where I am second-guessing myself.

As a nurse my wife will make around five to $10 more an hour. As a teacher I will roughly make about the same. And that's if I can get a teaching job to start. We plan for my wife to take a travel assignment in nursing out to Colorado to hopefully compensate for any lost wages if I can't find a job. He travel assignment typically last 13 weeks and she's able to extend it.

Sorry for the lengthy post this is last resort to hopefully get some real life answers from people that I have actually gone through the same thing. There's only so much advice I can get from research articles and looking at housing prices for renting online. We are set to put our house on the market next week and I think we might push back the date. We fly out to Denver for a family vacation over April vacation.

Please if you have any advice please please please let me know. We are very Active outdoorsy skiing hiking exercising type of people and I don't feel that much of a wiring like that here in Florida. The other big big big thing is that we could just wait another year or two until I get my teaching certification and or my wife finish his grad school and become a nurse practitioner. Or do we say screw it and move this summer and start establishing our lives in Colorado?

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 03-02-2017 at 05:33 PM.. Reason: to make the post a little easier to follow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2017, 04:02 AM

2 posts, read 1,692 times
Sorry for any miss spelled words or incorrect sentences I wrote this post through voice recording.

Old 03-02-2017, 04:42 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,660,633 times
I just struggled to read through your post, which is extremely difficult to follow. All one big huge paragraph!

If I understand you correctly, both you and your wife have solid, good paying jobs in Florida. Your parents moved to be near you and apparently take care of your children as you don't pay for child care. For some reason (it's too hot in the summer) you want to leave all this and jump into the unknown because you think you'd be happier in Colorado. It's going to take you a year or two to get your teaching certificate and for your wife to finish grad school.

You've made lists of pros and cons of moving and are still unsure what to do, so now you want a bunch of anonymous people to give you guidance. I think that you already know the answer. Trust your instincts.

Old 03-02-2017, 07:51 AM

3,605 posts, read 9,055,148 times
Please, please, please go back and edit your post with paragraph breaks. I just can't read it this way.

Old 03-02-2017, 07:58 AM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
Have your wife finish school first.

Old 03-02-2017, 08:00 AM

3,125 posts, read 5,047,057 times
Stay put. Stay put. Stay put. You have a good life. You have a house. You have jobs. You have dreams of doing some things differently. But real life isn't a vacation and it won't be one if you move here. Just keep vacationing here.

And what is this 13 week travel assignment? Does that mean she will be away from home for 13 weeks. And you have free trusted childcare with grandparents? Are you insane?

Old 03-02-2017, 08:18 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Have your wife finish school first.
^^This

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
Stay put. Stay put. Stay put. You have a good life. You have a house. You have jobs. You have dreams of doing some things differently. But real life isn't a vacation and it won't be one if you move here. Just keep vacationing here.

And what is this 13 week travel assignment? Does that mean she will be away from home for 13 weeks. And you have free trusted childcare with grandparents? Are you insane?
^^And this!

Old 03-02-2017, 05:35 PM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
Please, please, please go back and edit your post with paragraph breaks. I just can't read it this way.
I went ahead and took care of it Dogmama50. MFBE, hope you're ok with it!

Old 03-02-2017, 06:22 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
You're a better man than I....thank you for doing that.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-02-2017, 06:26 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,055,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Thank you! So much easier to read on my getting older and might need reading glasses eyes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: