U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 03:10 PM

12,225 posts, read 7,999,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
I hit the Farmers Market in Little Italy on Saturday morning and found an artist that I bought something from when I was in San Diego 5 or 6 years ago. He commented about how much San Diego had changed. I laughed and said everywhere has changed. It's the nature of the world.
Little Italy is great. The original Filippi's is there. I love their pizza.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2017, 04:52 PM

86,825 posts, read 102,134,129 times
Time to repost:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
With apologies to Jonathan Swift; if you don't know who he is, check it out before reading this.

With the growth issue rearing its ugly head on this forum, I am submitting my own "modest proposal".

As of a predetermined date, all non-native Coloradans must leave the state. There will be no exceptions! If you give a non-native an inch, he/she will take a mile.

All non-native parents of minor children must leave. Orphanages will be established to care for the native children who are left behind. Parents will have the option of taking their children along, if the receiving state will accept them. This should not be a problem in some cities where population is declining and with it, school population. Pittsburgh comes to mind as one example.

Non-native married couples may go to either partner's native state, if it will accept both of them. Otherwise, they must separate and go to their individual states. A sort of "leper colony" will be established in Dinosaur, CO to house those who cannot find a state that will accept them. No marriage or procreation will be allowed at the penal colony!

All non-native educators must leave, as must all out of state students at all the colleges and universities. Never mind that out of state students at state colleges pay more than the cost of their education to subsidize the in-state students. Any increase in tuition will be more than welcome by the natives.

All non-native members of the Avalanche, Broncos, Nuggets, Rockies, Rapids, Mammoth, and Crush teams must leave, as must any non-native coaches.
No native may bring an elderly non-native parent here to care for him/her in the final years, period! Health care providers will not be allowed an exception. Get out!

Come on, natives! We are all non-natives deep down. If it was OK for a young couple to come here in 1945 to start and raise a family, why wasn't it OK for my DH and I to do so in 1980, at the height of "native" hysteria? Why isn't it OK today? We have come, sometimes for a lifetime, sometimes for a short while. While here, we have paid taxes, volunteered in the schools, and dare I say it: helped make Colorado a better place!
A Modest Proposal

Old 03-28-2017, 05:30 PM

781 posts, read 419,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Time to repost:

A Modest Proposal
You could tweak this plan based on the movie 'The Lobster'. Give the non-natives at least a chance to prove their stellar mating abilities and ship them up to luxury mountain hotels for a weekend. If they mate with a native, they stay and gain secondary citizen 'mative' status. If not, they are transformed into an endangered Colorado specie animal of their choice, and cast off into the mountains!

Last edited by Chloe333; 03-28-2017 at 05:49 PM..

Old 03-28-2017, 07:45 PM

13,923 posts, read 20,122,306 times
I so want Denver to be like La Jolla.
Ocean.
Clement weather.
Prop 13 to keep my real estate taxes low in perpetuity.
Booze in supermarkets.
Fish tacos.
Mitt Romney as a neighbor.

Old 03-28-2017, 08:45 PM

20,812 posts, read 38,988,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
I so want Denver to be like La Jolla.
Ocean.
Clement weather.
Prop 13 to keep my real estate taxes low in perpetuity.
Booze in supermarkets.
Fish tacos.
Mitt Romney as a neighbor.
I hear he needs a new operator for the elevator in his garage. The job is not without its ups and downs.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-28-2017, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I hear he needs a new operator for the elevator in his garage. The job is not without its ups and downs.
Ha! Does Mitt like fish tacos though?

Old 03-28-2017, 09:51 PM

6,893 posts, read 6,468,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
Ha! Does Mitt like fish tacos though?
All I know is that over the course of 5 days, I ate fish tacos 6 times.

Old 03-29-2017, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
All I know is that over the course of 5 days, I ate fish tacos 6 times.
I am jealous.

I used to live by the original Rubios which was pretty much it back in the day. There a lot more options these days.

Old 03-30-2017, 10:49 AM

5,280 posts, read 2,726,476 times
CO-themed clothing has been popular for literally decades. The only themish clothing that has mushroomed in recent years has been pro-pot shirts.

All the other stuff about the mountains, the sports teams, and recreation has been clothinged to the nth degree already, long ago. NOTHING NEW about that.

The reason that someone sees more upscale homogeneity in some Boston burbs is because they are MUCH more heavily populated than similar areas near Denver. Snob subdivisions definitely exist in the Denver area. But they have fewer people living in them.

I saw my first MANNED gate for a subdivision in a Littleton burb. (Never saw one in or near Boston.) I used to think "gated subdivision" meant that a video cam would record what cars went in and out, nothing more than that. We were visiting someone and had to hand over driver's license, plate number, our names, and the names of who we were visiting. I was flabbergasted. It was as invasive as two defense-related employer guard gates where I used to work!

I could not live in a place like that.

Old 03-30-2017, 10:58 AM

86,825 posts, read 102,134,129 times
There seems to be a lot of Colorado-flag festooned clothing these days. I gave a Colorado flag T-shirt to my brother in Pittsburgh; he said it looked like the Cuban flag!

There is a suburb in Lafayette that used to have a person at the gate, but they don't seem to do that any more. DH thinks it was to direct you to the sales office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or