U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 11:11 AM

538 posts, read 284,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Craig... and the town's economy is nearly completely dependent on the power plant and the coal mines that support it.
The company that owns/operates that power plant pays the lion's share of the property taxes for Moffat County. I read they are closing one of the units soon and if that continues to play out with the other two units imagine the affect of that on the town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2017, 11:21 AM

133 posts, read 83,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowilldo View Post
Chiming in as I too have lived in this state all my lifetime, family here before me as well. A few observations and responses to OP's original post in regard to the Front Range area and parts close by...

Let me start by saying I don't disrespect anyone that chooses to come here to live, everyone has a right to move/live where ever they would like. What I don't like is that the growth doesn't seem to be well-planned or responsible, both the fault of state and local agencies, in addition to the people using the spaces themselves.

Yes, it's gotten more crowded but I think it seems worse because there is no improved infrastructure to support the additional warm bodies arriving. What truly worries me is that the Front Range is a dry, high desert. We've been lucky the snowpack has been pretty decent in the past few years; when the next drought hits and all of these people are water rationed, well then what? It has happened in the past and it will happen again.

It is tough to find homes in the lower six figures, competition is really keen... we don't call Broomfield by that name anymore. The new name for that town is "Apartment-field." It's depressing to see all the natural pockets of land that used to give welcome visual breaks between residents being scraped and built up with ugly gray boxes and lines and lines of cars everywhere. We live on an acreage that is tucked away in a very desirable location. It is is largely unaffected by what's going on around us fortunately. Have to wonder what it will bring when it goes on the market in the coming year? All the people flooding here will give us an advantage as sellers for sure. Who can complain about that?

Backcountry opportunities abound, but you'll have to fight heavy traffic (worst on weekends) to get into it (talking I-70) and once you reach a trailhead you may not have a place to park your car. Then there are hordes that don't respect the established paths and will braid the trails to avoid the mud. Or some even go looking for mud to drive on apparently. We were hiking off the top of Jones Pass last July when the runoff was still coming down pretty good. Some idiot had driven a vehicle through the wet tundra and willows above Butler Gulch. On our way back down the pass road (on the Henderson side), we could see where the tracks originated from, an abandoned campsite with Budweiser cans all over. They wrecked the pristine meadows full of wildflowers, ruts everywhere. When the snow comes off this year, those ruts will still be there, no doubt. Or, mountain bikers using trails within designated wilderness area boundaries in the national forests seems to have become a "thing." So not cool.
Great post and I agree on all points.

I find it interesting that people on the Denver forum get so defensive when natives post their opinion of Colorado's growth. We arent attacking anyone--just reporting our thoughts of how the region has changed over the years. Many of these changes are not for the better, just a product of cramming more people into the same space.

Regarding the backcountry thing--this is a huge sore spot for me. And I'm not blaming it entirely on "non-natives" or whatever, I just think it's a product of a massive, growing metro area with an active population.

The Jeepers are bad; I have no issues with recreational 4 wheeling but for the love of God keep it on designated trails! I cant count how many times I've come across either giant trash pit from off-road campers, or a pile of UNBURIED human waste and toilet paper off the side of a pristine mountain trail!!

Anything within a 2 hour drive of Denver gets the most impact.

Old 04-03-2017, 11:26 AM

86,988 posts, read 102,554,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MZMpac View Post
Great post and I agree on all points.

I find it interesting that people on the Denver forum get so defensive when natives post their opinion of Colorado's growth. We arent attacking anyone--just reporting our thoughts of how the region has changed over the years. Many of these changes are not for the better, just a product of cramming more people into the same space.

Regarding the backcountry thing--this is a huge sore spot for me. And I'm not blaming it entirely on "non-natives" or whatever, I just think it's a product of a massive, growing metro area with an active population.

The Jeepers are bad; I have no issues with recreational 4 wheeling but for the love of God keep it on designated trails! I cant count how many times I've come across either giant trash pit from off-road campers, or a pile of UNBURIED human waste and toilet paper off the side of a pristine mountain trail!!

Anything within a 2 hour drive of Denver gets the most impact.
I am a non-native and I'd bet I've lived here longer and seen more changes than you! I'm sick of this "defensive" keyboard psychology. If anyone sounds defensive, it's you, trying to defend your anit-nativism.

Old 04-03-2017, 11:30 AM

133 posts, read 83,872 times
You kind of just proved my point.

Old 04-03-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Do tell!

Old 04-03-2017, 11:49 AM

419 posts, read 261,894 times
Quote:
Yep.

I guess we're supposed to sweep the "growth" under the rug, hide it and pretend that it doesn't exist.

Last edited by MsBall; 04-03-2017 at 01:11 PM..

Old 04-03-2017, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBall View Post
Yep.

I guess we're supposed to sweep the "growth" under the rug, hid it and pretend that it doesn't exist.
Repost, from April 2007, TEN years ago:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
With apologies to Jonathan Swift; if you don't know who he is, check it out before reading this.

With the growth issue rearing its ugly head on this forum, I am submitting my own "modest proposal".

As of a predetermined date, all non-native Coloradans must leave the state. There will be no exceptions! If you give a non-native an inch, he/she will take a mile.

All non-native parents of minor children must leave. Orphanages will be established to care for the native children who are left behind. Parents will have the option of taking their children along, if the receiving state will accept them. This should not be a problem in some cities where population is declining and with it, school population. Pittsburgh comes to mind as one example.

Non-native married couples may go to either partner's native state, if it will accept both of them. Otherwise, they must separate and go to their individual states. A sort of "leper colony" will be established in Dinosaur, CO to house those who cannot find a state that will accept them. No marriage or procreation will be allowed at the penal colony!

All non-native educators must leave, as must all out of state students at all the colleges and universities. Never mind that out of state students at state colleges pay more than the cost of their education to subsidize the in-state students. Any increase in tuition will be more than welcome by the natives.

All non-native members of the Avalanche, Broncos, Nuggets, Rockies, Rapids, Mammoth, and Crush teams must leave, as must any non-native coaches.
No native may bring an elderly non-native parent here to care for him/her in the final years, period! Health care providers will not be allowed an exception. Get out!

Come on, natives! We are all non-natives deep down. If it was OK for a young couple to come here in 1945 to start and raise a family, why wasn't it OK for my DH and I to do so in 1980, at the height of "native" hysteria? Why isn't it OK today? We have come, sometimes for a lifetime, sometimes for a short while. While here, we have paid taxes, volunteered in the schools, and dare I say it: helped make Colorado a better place!

Old 04-03-2017, 01:59 PM

12,279 posts, read 8,084,120 times
Quote:
Repost, from April 2007, TEN years ago:
I think that was a joke that was posted on several different sites.

Old 04-03-2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
I think that was a joke that was posted on several different sites.
I wrote that one myself, ten years ago. There may be others that are similar.

Old 04-03-2017, 02:29 PM

12,279 posts, read 8,084,120 times
Quote:
I wrote that one myself, ten years ago. There may be others that are similar.
LOL, sorry. I missed your name attached to it. It looks similar to other native diatribes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or