U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-04-2017, 04:35 PM
 
Location: Aurora, CO
6,554 posts, read 10,261,428 times
Reputation: 9796

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Generally, as opposed to no fencing. It seems to be from here west that people want these "privacy" fences. You go to Omaha, and you don't see that. Nor do you see it in the suburbs of eastern cities. My dad from Pittsburgh used to say it looked like a cattle feed lot out here with those privacy fences.
Houses in Dallas are commonly built with 6' high privacy fences but the builders do really stupid *&^% like using wood fence posts and allowing the slats to touch the ground which causes the fence to rot and/or be infested by termites in no time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-04-2017, 06:50 PM
 
Location: In The Thin Air
12,279 posts, read 8,081,631 times
Reputation: 8917
Quote:
Originally Posted by crillon View Post
I agree--there are plenty of places in the country that have the same problems, which is why Colorado was so very special. Seeing it deteriorate, especially in the Denver Metro area, is very sad. Those of us who love this state are heartbroken. The influx of new people has changed the state in ways that are irreversible.

It is not a myth that the population has exploded in Colorado--over 100,000 people in one year.

Here you go:
Colorado’s population jumped by 101,000 in 12 months – The Denver Post

That the legalization of recreational marijuana--the first state to do so--has no impact on the influx of new residents is naive. That's no myth. 4 out of 5 people move to Colorado for marijuana.
Here you go:

According to a new survey, 4 out of every 5 people move to Colorado for Marijuana | The Denver City Page

And, I'm very happy to contribute facts into the discussion here.
I didn't say the population exploding is a myth. I said it is a myth that the population is exploding because of pot. Yes, the population has increased because of it but not that much. I bet it is less than 5%. That survey is completely false. You might want to do some more research. It hilarious to think 80% of the people moving here are doing it for pot. You have not delivered any facts. You just posted a link to "fake" news.

Look at what the job market has done. It is blowing up here.

Last edited by Timmyy; 04-04-2017 at 07:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2017, 07:17 PM
 
Location: Denver CO
21,159 posts, read 11,761,610 times
Reputation: 32142
I would love to hear an example about a metropolitan area that successfully built out housing and infrastructure for a population what wasn't going to be there for decades. Yes, it's frustrating when capacity is exceeded by the time new projects are finished but there's no tax base to build that far into the future, even assuming that current projects remain reasonably accurate. And of course huge risk that something happens to throw all of those projections out the window.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2017, 07:48 PM
 
175 posts, read 124,352 times
Reputation: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
I didn't say the population exploding is a myth. I said it is a myth that the population is exploding because of pot. Yes, the population has increased because of it but not that much. I bet it is less than 5%. That survey is completely false. You might want to do some more research. It hilarious to think 80% of the people moving here are doing it for pot. You have not delivered any facts. You just posted a link to "fake" news.

Look at what the job market has done. It is blowing up here.
So, I guess all the news reports-even from The Denver Post--are "false" just because you say so--you must be the resident expert. I had no idea! Where are your facts? I notice you don't even offer "alternative" ones to support your ridiculous claims.

Colorado has boomed with all the associated and escalating problems, because of people relocating to the state in record numbers. That's a fact. It's deductive reasoning--the population explosion "coincidentally" happened once Colorado approved recreational MJ. What's "hilarious" and naive, frankly, is saying it's no more than 5% of the newcomers.

And, the job market is not "blowing up" here. What's blowing up is our quality of life in every aspect. Based on what you've said, I seriously doubt you even live in Colorado, because you are so misinformed. The only thing "fake" here may be you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2017, 08:16 PM
 
Location: Washington Park, Denver
6,939 posts, read 6,548,353 times
Reputation: 7426
Quote:
Originally Posted by crillon View Post
So, I guess all the news reports-even from The Denver Post--are "false" just because you say so--you must be the resident expert. I had no idea! Where are your facts? I notice you don't even offer "alternative" ones to support your ridiculous claims.

Colorado has boomed with all the associated and escalating problems, because of people relocating to the state in record numbers. That's a fact. It's deductive reasoning--the population explosion "coincidentally" happened once Colorado approved recreational MJ. What's "hilarious" and naive, frankly, is saying it's no more than 5% of the newcomers.

And, the job market is not "blowing up" here. What's blowing up is our quality of life in every aspect. Based on what you've said, I seriously doubt you even live in Colorado, because you are so misinformed. The only thing "fake" here may be you.
You need data. Here's some: http://www.city-data.com/forum/42427034-post12.html

If you really believe that pot is driving the population and housing prices, that should all come to an end now that Nevada and California have legalized. It isn't.

I'm a 5th generation Coloradan and I find your nativist yammering extremely off putting.

Last edited by SkyDog77; 04-04-2017 at 08:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2017, 08:17 PM
 
Location: In The Thin Air
12,279 posts, read 8,081,631 times
Reputation: 8917
Quote:
Originally Posted by crillon View Post
So, I guess all the news reports-even from The Denver Post--are "false" just because you say so--you must be the resident expert. I had no idea! Where are your facts? I notice you don't even offer "alternative" ones to support your ridiculous claims.

Colorado has boomed with all the associated and escalating problems, because of people relocating to the state in record numbers. That's a fact. It's deductive reasoning--the population explosion "coincidentally" happened once Colorado approved recreational MJ. What's "hilarious" and naive, frankly, is saying it's no more than 5% of the newcomers.

And, the job market is not "blowing up" here. What's blowing up is our quality of life in every aspect. Based on what you've said, I seriously doubt you even live in Colorado, because you are so misinformed. The only thing "fake" here may be you.
I must have touched a nerve.

The Denver Post article you linked was legitimate. I never questioned that one. I agree that people are flooding into the state. Sorry you see it as a problem. I guess your entitlement leads you to believe that nobody but natives can live here.

Now this link is outrageous and false information: According to a new survey, 4 out of every 5 people move to Colorado for Marijuana | The Denver City Page. Go ahead and call the Health Department and find out how wrong you are. In fact there was no survey taken. There certainly is no proof of it.

Here is a great comment from that link
"Complete Bunk! I asked the CO Dept of Public Health & Environment if this was true. Here is their response: "Thank you for your email inquiry. The survey that this web site is referring to is the 2014 Colorado Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS). I have attached a copy of the 2014 results of the questions pertaining to marijuana, which were released in the summer of 2015. Please note, the 2015 BRFSS results will not be available until later this year and the web site/link you sent has this incorrectly cited. Also, the BRFSS survey does not and has not in the past asked any questions regarding "how many new residents are moving to Colorado for the legal drug" as this web site claims. This department does not have any surveys that currently ask this question and we are actively investigating this claim."

The population started exploding long before pot was legalized. Maybe my estimate of 5% was a little outrageous. It may be more like 6%.

I live in Colorado and I am very informed. I literally laughed out loud when you said I may be "fake". I am now the fake poster.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 04-04-2017 at 08:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2017, 12:17 AM
 
2,596 posts, read 1,111,693 times
Reputation: 3427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
I must have touched a nerve.

The Denver Post article you linked was legitimate. I never questioned that one. I agree that people are flooding into the state. Sorry you see it as a problem. I guess your entitlement leads you to believe that nobody but natives can live here.

Now this link is outrageous and false information: According to a new survey, 4 out of every 5 people move to Colorado for Marijuana | The Denver City Page. Go ahead and call the Health Department and find out how wrong you are. In fact there was no survey taken. There certainly is no proof of it.

Here is a great comment from that link
"Complete Bunk! I asked the CO Dept of Public Health & Environment if this was true. Here is their response: "Thank you for your email inquiry. The survey that this web site is referring to is the 2014 Colorado Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS). I have attached a copy of the 2014 results of the questions pertaining to marijuana, which were released in the summer of 2015. Please note, the 2015 BRFSS results will not be available until later this year and the web site/link you sent has this incorrectly cited. Also, the BRFSS survey does not and has not in the past asked any questions regarding "how many new residents are moving to Colorado for the legal drug" as this web site claims. This department does not have any surveys that currently ask this question and we are actively investigating this claim."

The population started exploding long before pot was legalized. Maybe my estimate of 5% was a little outrageous. It may be more like 6%.

I live in Colorado and I am very informed. I literally laughed out loud when you said I may be "fake". I am now the fake poster.
crillon appears to be another chickenlittle screaming that the "sky is falling" due to legalization.

I'm surprised there's any left with all the available data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2017, 08:22 AM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
3,078 posts, read 2,111,256 times
Reputation: 3582
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburress View Post
crillon appears to be another chickenlittle screaming that the "sky is falling" due to legalization.

I'm surprised there's any left with all the available data.
Yes, there are still plenty of hold outs with that view.

While a lot of us want a to live in a place that is showing positive growth for jobs, income, and opportunity, there are still a percentage of population out there who want Colorado to be this sleepy place that has some urban amenities, some pop culture, and modern outdoors access with these stunning vistas. They still want a slumbering, secret place that isn't too hip, isn't exactly backwoods, doesn't require a college degree to make a good living, and is full of courteous people who are similar to them in values, opinions, and perceptions.

As a fourth generation native, I certainly can understand that perspective and appreciate what we've come through to get here. There are numerous aspects of the Colorado I grew up in that are different now and some of those won't be ever be coming back. Yes, sometimes that is disappointing to think about. However, there also are new things, as well as simply more of some things, good and bad, that are now possible here that we didn't have access to 20 or 30 or 50 years ago. But I also know that if we aren't growing and progressing, then we will be stagnant or worse yet, failing. The fact that Denver is often mention in conversations along with Portland and Seattle, or places in California shows the great potential and the perception of our state. Personally, I find that to be a good thing.

Could things be better, of course they could. But they also could be a lot worse. I certainly don't want Colorado to become a Wyoming or Kansas that has a net loss of jobs, loss of prosperity, and loss of population. However, I realize there are some here that do want exactly those things. I'm not sure what to tell them other that what I've said above. Then again, show me someplace else that has the perfect combination of all things because I'm pretty sure it doesn't exist. The problem is any place that is great is going to attract people and become expensive or crowded or busy. There are no two ways around that. Cheap and uncrowded places are usually cheap and uncrowded for a reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2017, 12:38 PM
 
Location: Brighton, MI
133 posts, read 83,787 times
Reputation: 474
^ This is essentially my view as well.

Personally, there is too much growth for my liking. If I lived in a more rural part of Colorado it probably wouldn't bother me, it is mostly a Front Range issue. It brings good and bad. More bad than good, IMO.

We can always compare it to other cities with worse traffic, worse housing markets, etc. But that's kind of irrelevant, because some of us dont want it to become like those other cities!!

I've lived in 7 states now and I still feel Colorado is a great place to live. I just think it is losing many of it's charms with the population expansion. It is what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2017, 02:58 PM
 
Location: Denver
1,303 posts, read 434,362 times
Reputation: 1239
Quote:
Originally Posted by crillon View Post
So, I guess all the news reports-even from The Denver Post--are "false" just because you say so--you must be the resident expert. I had no idea! Where are your facts? I notice you don't even offer "alternative" ones to support your ridiculous claims.

Colorado has boomed with all the associated and escalating problems, because of people relocating to the state in record numbers. That's a fact. It's deductive reasoning--the population explosion "coincidentally" happened once Colorado approved recreational MJ. What's "hilarious" and naive, frankly, is saying it's no more than 5% of the newcomers.

And, the job market is not "blowing up" here. What's blowing up is our quality of life in every aspect. Based on what you've said, I seriously doubt you even live in Colorado, because you are so misinformed. The only thing "fake" here may be you.
All of the friends I've made here (around 15, so far) are migrants to CO within the last 3 years. None of us came here for marijuana. All of us are in our 20's.

We came for jobs, the mountains, the weather, and the ample outdoor activities that weren't offered where we came from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top