U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 10:53 AM

757 posts, read 580,818 times

Advertisements

90,000 people into a state of about 5.7 million is a massive amount. Seeing the growth numbers for Texas is different because Texas has multiple metros of multi million populations.

It does kind of *feel* slower this spring compared to last. This time last year every other vehicle on I70 was an out of state plate with a U haul or two trailing behind. My evening commute is Tower and Colfax to 26th and Federal, and it became about 1-2 mins longer per week on average in Spring. Commute started around 33 mins in mid March, and then came out to be about 50 mins by summer. Now it's been back down to about 42-45 mins. The U hauls have been out in full force again this Spring, but not at the level of last year....at least what it seems. I also know this is a horrible metric to use

In years past, the out migration was a lot higher. So even though the state added 100,000 people, something like 200,000 moved out, and 300,000 moved in. (Numbers might be exaggerated, it was from an older article I can't find at the moment).

Natural birth rates also seem to be increasing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2017, 11:27 AM

133 posts, read 83,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
I'm curious to know where these people are going?
We can handle the COL but are considering moving because of the COL.

And when I say COL, I really mean cost of housing. In Michigan for example we can cut our COL in half. Easily.

Old 03-31-2017, 01:12 PM

5,444 posts, read 4,808,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
I've heard a few mid west cities like Chicago and Cleveland, and Southern cities like Houston, Charlotte, and Atlanta. Those cities are generally more affordable or have some areas that are affordable, so I've assumed COL was the motivator.
You couldn't pay me to live in any of those cities.

Old 03-31-2017, 01:43 PM

12,243 posts, read 8,029,930 times
Quote:
For $10,000,000?

Old 03-31-2017, 01:49 PM

1,303 posts, read 428,633 times
Quote:
How many are leaving CO though to return to family? In my running group alone, five of us are from IL, two from TX and two from the East Coast. Not a single one of us is a native* (technically I am, born in Broomfield, but moved when I was a baby to the midwest).

If Denver didn't work out, I probably would go back to Chicago. It's a lot easier to have a life as a future parent if you have aunts, uncles, parents, brothers, sisters etc to help watch kids once in awhile.

Old 03-31-2017, 02:21 PM

5,444 posts, read 4,808,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
For $10,000,000?

Only if there was a contract stating I only needed to stay for a year or something. Then, after a year, my richass is moving right back out here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisphotographer View Post
How many are leaving CO though to return to family? In my running group alone, five of us are from IL, two from TX and two from the East Coast. Not a single one of us is a native* (technically I am, born in Broomfield, but moved when I was a baby to the midwest).

If Denver didn't work out, I probably would go back to Chicago. It's a lot easier to have a life as a future parent if you have aunts, uncles, parents, brothers, sisters etc to help watch kids once in awhile.
I could see this happen if you have some sort of attachment to those cities such as family, job, etc., but to just up and move to one of these cities, no way.

Old 03-31-2017, 04:08 PM

24 posts, read 20,921 times
"And when I say COL, I really mean cost of housing. In Michigan for example we can cut our COL in half. Easily."

Housing in Michigan is much cheaper but the effective property tax rate is about 3 times what you pay in Colorado: it's ~1.8% in Michigan and .6% in Colorado.

Here's the effective property tax amount you would pay on a $250,000 house in both states over a 30-year mortgage:

Colorado: $45,000

Michigan: $133,500

In Michigan, you pay $88,500 more in taxes on average over the life of a 30-year loan on a $250,000 house than you would in Colorado. When you add up the associated costs, Colorado remains more expensive in general but you still end up paying a significant part of that discount back in the form of property taxes.

Only a few states have higher effective property taxes, like Illinois and Texas, which famously have low house prices--but one must remember the property taxes are quite high in some of these states with cheaper houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or