Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 11:12 AM

57 posts, read 100,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Where in the Denver area do you want to move to?

The foothills can get fierce chinooks, like 70-80 mph gusts. There are some isolated cases of gusts over 100 mph that will destroy a bridge, but normally even the chinooks don't go that high.

BUT we had some days and nights with steady winds around 40-50 mph with higher gusts...all night, all day, for two days. The duration of high wind can get to you as much as isolated stronger gusts.

Another thing to consider is how suddenly those gusts can whip up. I was out mtn biking in the evening in perfect calm, when I heard a low, loud moan like a church organ's bass tones all played at once. The sound came from a nearby gully. In seconds, it blasted out of the gully and forced me not only to dismount but to SIT on the ground while holding onto my bike with it flat on the ground. Otherwise, I would have been knocked over and the bike flung somewhere. I have also been out when a gust picked up a 19' kayak left on the ground and sent it flying.
Yikes!! That sounds pretty intense. My husband would be working near DTC, so based on that and wanting great schools we would be looking at the Centennial area (north of 470, along I25-give or take).

I know that nowhere is perfect, just wondering since I hadn't seen much it.

We both grew up in the Midwest with humidity, tornadoes and ice storms so mostly everywhere seems great compared to that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2017, 11:16 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,697,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZmama13 View Post
Yikes!! That sounds pretty intense. My husband would be working near DTC, so based on that and wanting great schools we would be looking at the Centennial area (north of 470, along I25-give or take).

I know that nowhere is perfect, just wondering since I hadn't seen much it.

We both grew up in the Midwest with humidity, tornadoes and ice storms so mostly everywhere seems great compared to that!
Expect some days of high wind, but if you grew up in the midwest you will probably tolerate it.

Old 04-01-2017, 06:35 AM

22,333 posts, read 29,421,443 times
I live in the foothills and we do get some serious wind gusts here sometimes.

Old 04-02-2017, 10:14 AM

74 posts, read 85,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZmama13 View Post
Thanks guys! Yesterday was exceptionally bad, but spring and fall are just constant wind here. To be honest, the wind bothers me more than the 115 degree summers, so it occurred to me that I hadn't read much about wind in my CO research.
Whatever you do don't go to Kansas, The city I grew up in had wind that during the winter and early spring would blow anywhere between 25-40 mph. with occasional days where spring or summer storms brought 50-70 mph winds. But what made it miserable was that it was always windy and the wind could keep it up for a week or two straight with one or two days of calm before the next wave came.

Old 04-02-2017, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jHolman91 View Post
Whatever you do don't go to Kansas, The city I grew up in had wind that during the winter and early spring would blow anywhere between 25-40 mph. with occasional days where spring or summer storms brought 50-70 mph winds. But what made it miserable was that it was always windy and the wind could keep it up for a week or two straight with one or two days of calm before the next wave came.
Ha! I actually grew up 20 minutes away from the MO/KS border! We didn't have winds like that, just tornadoes every spring/summer.

Old 04-02-2017, 07:32 PM

I think tornadoes are far worse than straight wind! Sometimes I even have nightmares that involve tornadoes. Maybe I shouldn't have watched The Wizard of Oz as a child.

Old 04-03-2017, 08:15 AM

1,066 posts, read 765,859 times
In regard to Denver metro, it seems to be more windy to the northwest of Denver... foothills above Boulder and areas directly affected across the Rocky Flats plateau, to include parts of Arvada and Broomfield. South and east in Denver metro often will only have a light breeze when it is going crazy farther north.

Old 04-03-2017, 04:44 PM

All of the foothills are in the frontline of chinook strength.

Close to metro Denver, sometimes along Highway 93 is worst, and sometimes along C470 in the SW foothills is worst. Similarly, sometimes there will be snow blasting down either NW or SW, while the other quadrant only gets some edge wind but no precip.

Tip: When the weather forecasters trot out three or more weather models and no two quite match, WATCH OUT.

Old 04-03-2017, 05:20 PM

1,066 posts, read 765,859 times
Quote:
Tip: When the weather forecasters trot out three or more weather models and no two quite match, WATCH OUT.
^^^ This is so spot-on!

So to answer OP's question, yes it can get windy in Denver... by varying degrees.

Old 04-03-2017, 05:56 PM

Quote:
All of the foothills are in the frontline of chinook strength.

Close to metro Denver, sometimes along Highway 93 is worst, and sometimes along C470 in the SW foothills is worst. Similarly, sometimes there will be snow blasting down either NW or SW, while the other quadrant only gets some edge wind but no precip.

Haha!! This is GREAT! Thanks everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver