Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 01:00 PM

22 posts, read 42,382 times

Advertisements

Hi all! My wife and I are hoping to move to the Denver area, which I know is overall pretty LGBT friendly from the things I have read on here and other places. I have an MBA and she's a graphic designer. We are having our first child NEXT MONTH (wooh!) and we really do not want her to grow up in the same environment that we did here in southern Oklahoma. We are hoping to relocate after we both get back from maternity leave later this year or early next year.

I don't think that we want to be in the city as much as in a suburb that is 15-20 minutes outside of the city (provided we both get jobs in the city, we would be willing to look more like 30 minutes if we don't get jobs in the city) so I'm just looking for some advice on where to even start looking in terms of suburbs. A good school district is going to be super important to us!

P.S. yes I realize all of the normal things that we will see once we move. Ie,. higher cost of living, colder weather, more snow, etc. Thank you in advance for any advice you guys have!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2017, 01:09 PM

2,289 posts, read 2,933,818 times
Budget?

Old 04-03-2017, 01:13 PM

5,531 posts, read 12,618,416 times
Jobs could be downtown Denver, could be Denver Tech Center (way south of downtown), could be Broomfield (north of downtown), could be just about anywhere. That's why we usually tell people to find the job(s) first, then look for where to live.

Your question about a suburb 15-20 minutes outside of the city is really not answerable. Denver as a city is very spread out, so perhaps you are thinking that jobs would be downtown? In that case, 15-20 minutes from downtown won't get you to many suburbs.

What will your housing budget be? Rent or own?

Old 04-03-2017, 01:24 PM

22 posts, read 42,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Jobs could be downtown Denver, could be Denver Tech Center (way south of downtown), could be Broomfield (north of downtown), could be just about anywhere. That's why we usually tell people to find the job(s) first, then look for where to live.

Your question about a suburb 15-20 minutes outside of the city is really not answerable. Denver as a city is very spread out, so perhaps you are thinking that jobs would be downtown? In that case, 15-20 minutes from downtown won't get you to many suburbs.

What will your housing budget be? Rent or own?

It sounds like maybe I haven't done as much research as I need to. Which is crazy because I feel like all I have been doing is reading stuff on the area. I'm not sure what the rental market is like - in terms of animal friendliness? We have dogs and I know here people are overall pretty against renting to people with animals. I would really prefer to buy. I think you're right that we should look for jobs before trying to pick an area. Do you have any suggestions on areas/towns around Denver to look? We plan on coming to Denver in September to get a feel for where we might like to be, so hopefully that helps too. This is our first big move - I'm a bit of a novice.

Old 04-03-2017, 01:44 PM

1,330 posts, read 696,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolexanne View Post
It sounds like maybe I haven't done as much research as I need to. Which is crazy because I feel like all I have been doing is reading stuff on the area. I'm not sure what the rental market is like - in terms of animal friendliness? We have dogs and I know here people are overall pretty against renting to people with animals. I would really prefer to buy. I think you're right that we should look for jobs before trying to pick an area. Do you have any suggestions on areas/towns around Denver to look? We plan on coming to Denver in September to get a feel for where we might like to be, so hopefully that helps too. This is our first big move - I'm a bit of a novice.
Many apartments are dog friendly, as long as you don't have a Pitt (which aren't allowed in Denver Proper or Aurora anyways)

If you're going to buy, plan on $300k + for a starter house.

Old 04-03-2017, 04:14 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,072,370 times
Depending on your industry there are a few big employment hubs, once you have that figured out you can set a budget and only then can I really give you advice. There are just so many family focused, LGBT friendly suburbs with decent to good schools that any suggestions would be useless to you.

Old 04-03-2017, 04:43 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,395,340 times
I live in what is considered a more "conservative" suburb. I honestly don't think you'll have an issue. My kids (adults now) had friends who were LGBT or whose parents were. As far as I know it wasn't an issue for anyone. I'd bet that compared to Oklahoma, even suburbs that are considered "conservative" here, aren't comparable.

Old 04-03-2017, 05:30 PM

556 posts, read 1,197,653 times
There are a lot of neighborhoods in Denver proper that are pretty suburban by city standards. If you can afford it, there is no reason to commute further out.

Old 04-03-2017, 10:47 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,500,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolexanne View Post
Without any idea of your budget and what kind of house you want, it will be hard to make suggestions.

Old 04-04-2017, 10:00 AM

401 posts, read 484,850 times
So maybe start with some of the more popular school districts with parents and then drill down from there. Not in any particular order

Cherry Creek
Adams 12
Douglas County
Boulder Valley

These seem to be the school district's parents talk about the most in a positive light. My son is in Adams 12 school district and there are several children in his school that have LGBT parents, I know my kiddo thinks nothing of it.

I would do some research on each school district and the different school options they offer and then go from there. Your budget may also play a part in that and once you have a clearer idea what you can afford this forum would be happy to offer up some suggestions

Last edited by Mike from back east; 04-04-2017 at 10:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver