Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 04:45 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,401,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippitahoppita View Post
Why North Denver? I live in a condo that is worth right about 100k/2 bedroom in SE Denver and I like the area. Lots of restaurants, near the Light Rail, DTC and less ghetto. I think the difference between north Denver and south Denver is night and day. North Denver and it is getting worse. BTW, my zip code is 80231.
No, I do not agree. North Denver is not getting worse. North Denver is the area where the new growth and gentrifications are happening: Berkeley, Highland, West Highland.

The area where we are talking about in the Asian Community on Federal is not considered North Denver, that is Athmar Park and Ruby Hill, which is considered Southwest Denver. It does have some problems but I believe that there is no area of Denver that I would say is getting "worse", the whole city, all the neighborhoods, are getting to be a better place to live.
This past Sunday, The Denver Post had an article about the improvements in the Cole neighborhood and new people moving there. That is real surprising considering the condition of Cole in the last few decades.

The area you describe 80231 has some nice qualities, as you pointed out and is a great area to live and even better now with the commuter rail.

Livecontent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 11:04 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,975,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
I believe that there is no area of Denver that I would say is getting "worse", the whole city, all the neighborhoods, are getting to be a better place to live.
I agree. Virtually the entire city proper is on the upswing; and there's very few exceptions to this even on a neighborhood by neighborhood basis. The difference is very noticeable even from five years ago. The optimism is actually pretty contagious.

My only complaint is that costs have risen, and that's led to some changes. I used to be kind of bummed about the whole thing, but I've begun to realize that as property in parts of Denver have skyrocketed, it's only allowed other parts of the city, and even many neighborhoods outside city limits, to become attractive and desirable in their own right. So, even the cloud of rising costs has its own silver lining.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:21 PM

287 posts, read 503,393 times
Hi, this is my price range, as well. Montibello doesn't seem bad, I actually work in that area every day. It certainly isn't noticeable if in fact crime and gangs is a problem there. The area is clean, and I always feel safe. I think you should look a littlefurther East of Montbello. You will find an area called Green Valley Ranch. It is all new out there. Brand new businesses are going up to meet the needs of the new subdivisions. There are a lot of foreclosures in this area, which in turn have broughtdown the prices considerably. You can find a beautiful home for 110K in Green Valley Ranch. The only thing I am uncertain of is whether the houses are quality construction. They certainly look beautiful from the outside, but maybe theconstruction is cheap. The neighborhoods are very new looking. The area itself is my favorite area in the metro area because it is so uncongested and open out there. If you can bump your price range up by another 5-10K, you can definitely find a house to buy, rather than a condo or townhouse. GVR is very near DIA. Good luck, dude.

Old 03-08-2008, 04:45 AM

296 posts, read 802,945 times
Interesting comments, livecontent. You sound like a very interesting individual to talk to.

My work involves travelling throughout the UK. I especially enjoy the Asian areas. Yes, they can be run down areas but they are fascinating. The people are quick to smile - their clothing is beautiful. The asian food is just plain superb (on a Friday I get take away Asian food to bring home to my husband). Many of my colleagues don't want to work in the asian areas. Good - I'll take those jobs!!!

Old 07-02-2008, 05:22 PM

3 posts, read 9,806 times
Hahahahaha...............I almost died laughing....lol,,,

Old 07-02-2008, 08:14 PM

6,799 posts, read 9,350,606 times
Check out Zip code 80231. There are a few large townhome/condo complexes in the Indian Creek neighborhood in which units generally sell for around $100K. It's a good neighborhood. Granville and Granville West are ugly, in my opinion, because the homes are pastel-colored and look very '80s.. but hey, the interiors look fine. Arrowhead is another complex and also there is Topaz, Hunt Club, Landmark Townhomes and a few other places that look a bit dated, but sell for around that amount.

Good luck!

Old 07-08-2008, 11:21 AM

26 posts, read 81,985 times
I grew up, moved out, and now live in 80219, SW Denver. Good place, very safe if you live far enough west of federal. Good area to live, here are some boundries.
East: anything before Lowell Blvd is good. Stay away from Federal or any thing before Lowell Blvd.
West: anything after Lowell right up into lakewood is good.
North: Nothing after Jewell
South: Good sailing down into Bear Valley.

Area is a mixed population white and hispanic. Used to be all white when I was little. More white as you continue west. Very hispanic on Federal and past it heading east. Gets white again after broadway as you enter wash park and DU area.

Over all pretty safe area if you avoid Federal North of Jewell. Its sad but federal in general is on a decline in Denver.

Hope this helps

Old 07-08-2008, 01:23 PM

1,536 posts, read 6,088,525 times
I find it incredibly funny that folks think we has slums or ghettos here in Denver. Crime, yes, and it is slightly above the national average, but no ghettos for those who know what one is. Some examples from posters in NYC and Chicago:

Spanish Harlem, not the 125th street Harlem, but the east end of Manhattan for those who know it.
Going to NYC....want to see the ghettos

Cabrini Green, what is left as it not in the redevelopment phase and some of the smaller buildings will be kept.
How Many Cabrini Green Buildings are left?

South Phoenix:
Where is the absolute worst, rock bottom part of Phoenix?

Drug deals and crime happen all over and a major drug busts just occurred locally that had large distribution sites in Highlands Ranch and Jefferson County, supplying the Denver metro area:

9NEWS.com | Colorado's Online News Leader | 'Operation Shoestring' results in major drug bust

State drug ring busted that catered to rich - The Denver Post

From the Post, "The lower-level participants of the drug ring would then sell cocaine and marijuana from homes in Highlands Ranch, areas of unincorporated Jefferson County, Fort Collins, Wheat Ridge, Arvada, Denver, Aurora, Thornton and Westminster. "

I grew up in 80204, work in 80213 and currently live in 80203. Have family all over, most in the Highlands (North Denver) and can say that North Denver is not on the decline, total opposite. 80213, southeast corner of Denver is a fine place to live but you have to travel to get to art and theater, but plenty of restuarants and shopping. 80204 and south Sloan's Lake is in transition as the lightrail is going in that area next. Tons of homes and property are being gobbled up in this area. Historically, this area and into Lakewood was the JCRS area and where Casa Bonita is was a main site for a tuburculoses center in the early 1900s.

JCRS | Isaac Solomon Synagogue :: History

You can find many historic homes all around Sloan's Lake and into Lakewood, and homes in your price range.

The Westwood neighborhood is the area that most posters here are trying to keep you away from, and I agree. Closer to Sheridan for West and Southwest Denver for living are going to find less undesireable foot and car traffic. Anywhere in Denver that has true historic neighborhoods are seeing significant redevelopment - Curtis Park, Highlands, Five Points, Baker, and Cole for example. When redevelopment of a poorer area occurs, it is not always welcome by the residents but sometimes necessary if decay is occuring and properties become abandonded or are not kept up. To agree with Tfox, sadly, the prices are all rising in these areas and are becoming unaffordable to the average Joe/Jane.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:58 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,720,076 times
Denver A: You left out Opa Locka and Liberty City in Miami. And yep, once you see real ghetto, you realize how lux Denver really is.

One thing that I find a drag about my area of North Denver (Thornton) is the lack of mass transit. So my lesson learned is that when looking for housing, look for easy access to freeways and mass transit.

Old 07-08-2008, 02:04 PM

1,176 posts, read 4,482,801 times
I bought a bank owned 1 bedroom condo off of Cherry Creek Drive near Mississippi for 24k a couple years back .... technically a Glendale address. There are similar deals in the area still, up to 2 bedrooms.

Granted, I don't spend a lot of time over there but it seems like a safe and quiet part of Denver and it certainly rents easily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver