Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 09:10 PM

29 posts, read 31,290 times

Advertisements

My boy! Both dogs LOVE snow!!
Attached Thumbnails
Seattle to Colorado-christopher-resized.jpg   Seattle to Colorado-christopher-resize2.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2017, 07:34 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,390,777 times
Nascar sanctioned racing is just north of Denver in Erie at Colo National Speedway.

Old 05-10-2017, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
Nascar sanctioned racing is just north of Denver in Erie at Colo National Speedway.
That's awesome!!

Thank you!

Old 05-10-2017, 09:15 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todtopo View Post
Thank you for editing my post! You kept the right stuff! Kinda scary to think it might not be better than here.

I hate this state.
Coming in as a strong reaction to another state isn't a great mindset. Just something to remember for any move.

The claim that CO is very introverted and guarded isn't true, nor is the opposite. There are all kinds, but I would say that overall, people here are not in-your-face-extroverted, pretty much in the middle of the extremes. Which is a comfortable place to be.

You are planning to leave one of the two most dog-crazy states I have seen. The other one being Oregon. My impression was that many in the Puget Sound area (definitely not all, but enough to give a negative impression) consider dog privileges to be more important than people's legal rights. Maybe you are not appreciating how much adoration your dogs get in your present area, because you hate other things there?

The race thing won't be a problem in the Denver area. There might be the pockets of snobbery you find anywhere, though. Don't put out antennae looking for it, and you will find plenty of other people to be happy around.

You really should visit first and spend a few weeks here before actually moving. Pretty good advice for anywhere, really.

Old 05-11-2017, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Coming in as a strong reaction to another state isn't a great mindset. Just something to remember for any move.

The claim that CO is very introverted and guarded isn't true, nor is the opposite. There are all kinds, but I would say that overall, people here are not in-your-face-extroverted, pretty much in the middle of the extremes. Which is a comfortable place to be.

You are planning to leave one of the two most dog-crazy states I have seen. The other one being Oregon. My impression was that many in the Puget Sound area (definitely not all, but enough to give a negative impression) consider dog privileges to be more important than people's legal rights. Maybe you are not appreciating how much adoration your dogs get in your present area, because you hate other things there?

The race thing won't be a problem in the Denver area. There might be the pockets of snobbery you find anywhere, though. Don't put out antennae looking for it, and you will find plenty of other people to be happy around.

You really should visit first and spend a few weeks here before actually moving. Pretty good advice for anywhere, really.
You are right about that!

And great response, thank you. There's good news and bad news in it for me. The fact that CO is not saturated with introverts is great news. That is the vast majority here. Which leads me to my strong disdain for this place, along with gray and rainy weather for 7 straight months. This dreary pattern only exacerbates my PTSD. I need more sun, vitamin D, and less of the seasonal affective disorder.

Colorado Springs is still on my radar because the cost of living is cheaper. I have a recruiter assisting me with job placement, which is huge. As far as puppy love, yes, that is strong here, and I do dismiss it due to the "gray and cold" people here. So you would be correct on that one. One of my dogs gets severely carsick, so going out into the public is not a big deal for me. They LOVE people, but they are both home bodies. I give them all my love and attention, and walk them all the time to make up for it. And boy do they love snow!

Perhaps more significant is the fact that I am my 92 year old mom's only caregiver. Essentially, I have been locked in a box for 6 years. Unsurprisingly, mom is super high maintenance, so I have not been able to work or develop relationships and haven't had any time for personal pursuits. So when I DO go out and meet people, I really hope to make new friends and bonds. Washington is not conducive for my intents and purposes.

So, it would be difficult to not like a new life, even though CO may not be Utopia. I'll have freedom and my life back, and I can't afford to live here after mom goes back to Hawaii. Bottom line is that I have no choice but to leave here. In exchange, I will be liberated.

Again, I thank you for your thoughts and energy as applied to my situation .

Old 05-11-2017, 07:26 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,390,777 times
Given the high percentage of transplants in Denver and military presence in Cos, its is not unreasonable to say that the vast majority of people you will meet there are not from here, so they were in your shoes not long before you arrived. This tends to make people more willing to open and share, even if it is to help you find a place that provides X. However, the flip side of that mobility is I have seen posters on here say that can become an impediment to building solid long term friendships. Not so sure about that as most of the close friends I have now are ones I've had for 20+ years and my more casual friends I've know for 5-10 years. So, YMMV.

Old 05-11-2017, 08:18 AM

387 posts, read 638,222 times
With your interest in the cannabis industry, and being a seed breeder, I'm not certain Cos would be the best match for you. Yes, it's definitely less expensive than the Denver metro, but the cannabis industry is much stronger in Denver than Cos. Also, as a seed breeder, you may want to keep an eye on the CO Department of Ag website; there is an industrial hemp seed breeding program managed by CDA. Periodically there are job openings in Ag, and your back ground might be helpful. Here's some info about the state's industrial hemp program, including seed info: https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/agp...ndustrial-hemp. I don't think they post jobs at that specific page, but it should be easy enough to find.

Old 05-11-2017, 09:18 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
Gray and cold people, LOL. But I get what you mean. Not long ago, I described CO people as generally (VERY generally) being more sunny-natured and open. Funny how words for weather and environment match what a body of residents skews towards.

Since you know HI and are half-Asian, just be aware that nowhere else in the US is likely to have HI's openness to Asians. I was 30 when I visited there, and as soon as I stepped off the plane, I immediately felt the difference. I was living in the Boston area at the time, my birth state, and suddenly realized that my whole life had been spent with an invisible barrier around me. Never even thought twice about it when I had lived there because I knew nothing else. Oh, there were individuals who were warm and open, of course. But that is NOT the same as being in the majority group. Ironically, in HI I did hear some comments with resentment towards whites...ironic to me because it was the reverse of all I had seen or heard before.

CO should be relatively mellow in that respect. It's all relative to what you are used to.

Old 05-12-2017, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
Given the high percentage of transplants in Denver and military presence in Cos, its is not unreasonable to say that the vast majority of people you will meet there are not from here, so they were in your shoes not long before you arrived. This tends to make people more willing to open and share, even if it is to help you find a place that provides X. However, the flip side of that mobility is I have seen posters on here say that can become an impediment to building solid long term friendships. Not so sure about that as most of the close friends I have now are ones I've had for 20+ years and my more casual friends I've know for 5-10 years. So, YMMV.
Thank you, I value this information!

Old 05-12-2017, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALStafford View Post
With your interest in the cannabis industry, and being a seed breeder, I'm not certain Cos would be the best match for you. Yes, it's definitely less expensive than the Denver metro, but the cannabis industry is much stronger in Denver than Cos. Also, as a seed breeder, you may want to keep an eye on the CO Department of Ag website; there is an industrial hemp seed breeding program managed by CDA. Periodically there are job openings in Ag, and your back ground might be helpful. Here's some info about the state's industrial hemp program, including seed info: https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/agp...ndustrial-hemp. I don't think they post jobs at that specific page, but it should be easy enough to find.
That was awesome of you to do! Thanks for all that great info and insight. I'm starting to like Colorado already! My research has just been expanded thanks to you.

Way cool...!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver