Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 04:19 PM

29 posts, read 31,265 times

Advertisements

I want to thank in-advance all the people who contribute to this forum. It is very generous of many of you to share your thoughts and experiences, even if you have already settled in.

Here's my long short story; I am looking information on all the typical aspects because I no longer want to live north of Seattle. It sucks here, plain and simple. And I've had it.

Me:

1. 56 years old, youthful, 'don't like hanging out with other old people. I'm happily immature.
2. I am an extrovert, which is why I don't belong here in WA. I thrive amongst friendly people.
3. Single, and ready to mingle. Women my age here are unappetizing and obese. Me no likey.
4. No kids, just 2 gorgeous golden retrievers. They are my life.
5. I am a retired special ed teacher. I am my mom's only caregiver. She's 92, and was just diagnosed with cancer. She's going back to Hawaii, which is where we're from, but I won't go back there.
6. I need to find work. I don't need much money. It's just me and the doggies. I am a personal trainer, former teacher, and cannabis seed breeder. That doesn't mean I'm a lazy loser pothead. I don't have the luxury of sitting around everyday to get stoned. I started growing in 1977 in Hawaii. I won't even mind being a budtender to start.
7. I lost everything in the Great Recession. My credit sucks due to those losses and a bankruptcy. I used to be in the 800's for decades. It also caused my PTSD.
8. I hope to have 100k to restart my life in CO.
9. I am a very physically active person, and I am a bodybuilder. I love all sports.
10. Gotta have scenery. A nearby lake would be nice too. I was a competition slalom water skier.
11. My prize possession is a 2010 SS Camaro that I love to race, legally.
12. I am half chinese, and half polish, so I look "mixed." I hope I don't run into profiling issues. I get along with everyone and make friends easily.
13. A 2 bed condo or townhome would work. I just need some yard for my doggies.

I posted in the CoS and Ft. Collins sections, but many redirected me to Denver because of my background and interests.

Thank you! I will carefully read all responses.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2017, 09:34 PM

11,061 posts, read 7,132,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todtopo View Post
... I no longer want to live north of Seattle....

Me:
1. 56 years old, youthful, 'don't like hanging out with other old people. I'm happily immature.
2. I am an extrovert, which is why I don't belong here in WA. I thrive amongst friendly people.
6. I need to find work. I don't need much money. It's just me and the doggies...
10. Gotta have scenery. A nearby lake would be nice too. I was a competition slalom water skier.
11. My prize possession is a 2010 SS Camaro that I love to race, legally.
12. I am half chinese, and half polish, so I look "mixed." I hope I don't run into profiling issues. I get along with everyone and make friends easily.
I edited your original post to focus in on several of your points

1. People here seem to only find it normal for people to be with their own age age. At least, that's what I've seen. I didn't even notice it or realize it until just now, thinking about all the people I've seen in the past 5 years. Unless talking about co-workers, people seem to only be with their age group.
2. Compared to other parts of the country, I've found people here to be much more introverted and guarded (not opening up, not revealing much emotion). I wouldn't assume that it will be much different here than WA.
6. Well, you might find that you do need a lot of money to live here. Having a simple lifestyle doesn't automatically translate to cheap living here.
10. CO is super low on lakes and water sports. Keep in mind the extreme dryness factor.
11. I'm unaware of any car racing in this state, but I'm sure natives & long-timers will point out such a location.
12. CO is very white, and people in CO - based on what I've experienced - are extremely fond of sameness and similarity. I've already run into issues of intra-white discrimination and regionalism. I'd be extra careful being of other nationalities. It can just get cruel around here. It's not in your face or out in the open, but it's there, and doesn't take too much perception to see it glaringly. You might be the friendliest person on the planet, but if you stick out and are different here, watch out.

Old 05-07-2017, 11:33 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,149,375 times
Looking at your list ...

I'd be suggesting Fort Collins as a good jumping off point for your interests. Active College community. Close to Horsetooth Res for seasonal water activity (and a few other front range lakes for skiing ... thinking Boyd Lake or similar). IMO, more laid-back than Denver ... lots of doggie-friendly folk there which presents many opportunities to meet folk.

FWIW, there was a park doggie day there earlier this winter. We showed up with 3 Corgi's ... 2 leashed and one elderly guy in a cloth garden wagon ... and had more folk stop us to visit than we ever imagined. Our Corgi's are dog-friendly, got along with everybody. We met a lot of really nice people. I don't believe you'd have had any issues there with your dog-friendly pets ... everybody we met was an extrovert and happy to visit over our common interests. My experience in Colorado has been that the attitudes you bring are the ones you'll find, you'll kinda' seek out the good ... or the bad, if that's your pleasure.

Boulder, if you can find affordable housing and a reasonable job ... presents similar opportunities.

PS: there's a lot of car clubs in the region. Hook up with them, check out their activities and schedules. You'll find track days, seminars, social meetings, rallys, tours, meets of all kinds. Many welcome all enthusiasts, you don't have to be a marque owner to join in. It's up to you to take advantage of what's there.

Old 05-08-2017, 08:00 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,384,150 times
I have no idea how extensive 420 employment is in Denver and points north. The market competition is growing and as a result, cutting costs is where margins will be maintained. Denver real estate prices may drive many of these organizations out of the city to less expensive locales. Pueblo and Walsenburg are betting on this and setting up what they hope will be large regional growing centers that are significant to the industry. Downside is that your dating pool in those areas will be significantly diminished over what can be found in Denver.

Northern Co does have access to more water than other areas of the state. There will be more reservoirs in that portion of the state than any other. They also will have a fair amount of traffic as well as population density up there is growing which means COL and rental prices are going up along with it.

I've also read on here that NorCo tends to be much whiter and less tolerate than other areas of the state. The urban aspect of Denver, constant military turn over in Co Sp, and the large hispanic numbers in Pueblo tend to make these areas much more accepting of darker skin, mixed race, and interacial dating.

Colo is very dog friendly in nearly anyplace you go.

Denver has SCCA and NASA chapters and a well developed NHRA bracket program at Bandimere. Bandimere is the closest to Denver being built right into the hogback on the western edge of the city near Morrison and Red Rocks. Open track day driving will be out at High Plains Raceway in Byers. I do not know if SCCA conducts events within the city for autocross or if they head out of town. They used to use the old Stapleton airport extensively but the urban development in the area may have driven them out.

Agree with sunsprit that the attitude you bring will net you a similar experience.

Old 05-08-2017, 05:51 PM

Wow, thanks for reading and responding! Very thoughtful folks, and some in-depth answers!

Old 05-08-2017, 06:37 PM

http://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...1&d=1494290194

http://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...1&d=1494290548

FWIW, my pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Seattle to Colorado-profile-reduced.jpg   Seattle to Colorado-dscn2890.jpg  

Last edited by Todtopo; 05-08-2017 at 06:47 PM..

Old 05-08-2017, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I edited your original post to focus in on several of your points

1. People here seem to only find it normal for people to be with their own age age. At least, that's what I've seen. I didn't even notice it or realize it until just now, thinking about all the people I've seen in the past 5 years. Unless talking about co-workers, people seem to only be with their age group.
2. Compared to other parts of the country, I've found people here to be much more introverted and guarded (not opening up, not revealing much emotion). I wouldn't assume that it will be much different here than WA.
6. Well, you might find that you do need a lot of money to live here. Having a simple lifestyle doesn't automatically translate to cheap living here.
10. CO is super low on lakes and water sports. Keep in mind the extreme dryness factor.
11. I'm unaware of any car racing in this state, but I'm sure natives & long-timers will point out such a location.
12. CO is very white, and people in CO - based on what I've experienced - are extremely fond of sameness and similarity. I've already run into issues of intra-white discrimination and regionalism. I'd be extra careful being of other nationalities. It can just get cruel around here. It's not in your face or out in the open, but it's there, and doesn't take too much perception to see it glaringly. You might be the friendliest person on the planet, but if you stick out and are different here, watch out.
Thank you for editing my post! You kept the right stuff! Kinda scary to think it might not be better than here.

I hate this state.

Old 05-08-2017, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Looking at your list ...

I'd be suggesting Fort Collins as a good jumping off point for your interests. Active College community. Close to Horsetooth Res for seasonal water activity (and a few other front range lakes for skiing ... thinking Boyd Lake or similar). IMO, more laid-back than Denver ... lots of doggie-friendly folk there which presents many opportunities to meet folk.

FWIW, there was a park doggie day there earlier this winter. We showed up with 3 Corgi's ... 2 leashed and one elderly guy in a cloth garden wagon ... and had more folk stop us to visit than we ever imagined. Our Corgi's are dog-friendly, got along with everybody. We met a lot of really nice people. I don't believe you'd have had any issues there with your dog-friendly pets ... everybody we met was an extrovert and happy to visit over our common interests. My experience in Colorado has been that the attitudes you bring are the ones you'll find, you'll kinda' seek out the good ... or the bad, if that's your pleasure.

Boulder, if you can find affordable housing and a reasonable job ... presents similar opportunities.

PS: there's a lot of car clubs in the region. Hook up with them, check out their activities and schedules. You'll find track days, seminars, social meetings, rallys, tours, meets of all kinds. Many welcome all enthusiasts, you don't have to be a marque owner to join in. It's up to you to take advantage of what's there.
Ft. Collins was my initial pursuit. I just put it back on the drawing board, thank you. Great 411 on the car info; it sounds like you are familiar with scene.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...1&d=1494291199
Attached Thumbnails
Seattle to Colorado-ss-pics-001.jpg  

Old 05-08-2017, 07:29 PM

834 posts, read 743,524 times
I would assume that you were ethnically Hawaiian if that's where you said you were from. My first thought though is Italian or something. I doubt you'll have race problems.

Old 05-08-2017, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdefg567 View Post
I would assume that you were ethnically Hawaiian if that's where you said you were from. My first thought though is Italian or something. I doubt you'll have race problems.
Thank you! I'm half polish, dad was a blonde before his hair fell out. Other half is chinese, with maybe some undocumented Hawaiian on mom's side. I think one of her ancestors "hopped the fence" but everyone denies it.

This is comforting to hear. I know there are racists everywhere, but I'll go with the numbers from data to be at least mathematical in my decision making.

Truth be told, I'm part redneck. Dad came from a backwoods moonshine-making family In Edmonton. I also like country music, NASCAR and southern BBQ. There is not category for me!

I have been told I look Italian and/or native American.

Thanks again for your responses. I got a call from a job recruiter today, and it looks like I'm making some inroads.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver