Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 10:51 AM

2,325 posts, read 5,507,013 times

Advertisements

It really all depends on your budget. I'd suggest you check out the Lakewood / Golden area. If you are in Jefferson County you won't have to deal with those stupid dog breed laws and you will still be relatively close to downtown. As far as some anti-Southern prejudice, I've never seen anything like that anywhere here. No one really cares where you are from (ok maybe if you're from California) It seems like everyone you meet just moved here last week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2017, 11:15 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
So you really want to leave the lush, deep green beauty and affordability of TN for the dry/sparse environment and overpriced ways of Denver? And you're ready to trade in the culture that you are familiar with for a very different one, where you may feel very alien and out of place? What if people are more accepting of LGBT stuff, but unaccepting of a southern background/history? Will you really be coming out ahead? You have to be thinking about that.

Make sure you visit Denver/CO first to see what it's like before getting too far into your plans. Even if this area seems more to your liking from long distance, you might find that the differences (you're not thinking of) could dwarf and overwhelm what you are focusing on.

It would/will be interesting to look at cost differences too. You ought to mention the price of your house (and what you are used to), and how much you spend on expenses (monthly, etc.) Remember too that CO has state income tax, which will be more money out of your pocket. You will need compelling reasons - with the numbers/math and culture - to make such a move make sense.
Why is it, with nearly every "moving to Denver/Colorado" thread, someone has to come up with this crap? I do not recommend moving somewhere sight unseen, but different people have different preferences. TN also has a state income tax, their 6%, which is far more than CO's, 4.63%.

Old 05-22-2017, 11:46 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,179,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Why is it, with nearly every "moving to Denver/Colorado" thread, someone has to come up with this crap? I do not recommend moving somewhere sight unseen, but different people have different preferences. TN also has a state income tax, their 6%, which is far more than CO's, 4.63%.
Agree. I don't think a lot of people factor in the specifics of state income tax policies when advising people on relocation. They often view it as a black and white Yes or No issue and it's more complex than that. As pointed out above, CO has a flat tax of 4.63%. I thought that was more than reasonable and fair when I lived there. Conversely, at various points, we considered (and eliminated) states like OR and SC because of their high progressive tax rates.

Then I moved back to Texas, where my property tax is about 2.5 times higher than it was on our house in Denver for a comparably valued home.

Taxes will get you one way or another. The difference is that one can choose options that minimize the impact of paying property taxes, but you can't really so with income taxes.

Old 05-22-2017, 03:15 PM

57 posts, read 100,567 times
Quote:
And you're ready to trade in the culture that you are familiar with for a very different one, where you may feel very alien and out of place? What if people are more accepting of LGBT stuff, but unaccepting of a southern background/history? Will you really be coming out ahead? You have to be thinking about that.
I am not LGBTQ but happen to be an open-minded, live-and-let-live type of person. I grew up in the heart of the Midwestern bible belt and can vouch for wanting to escape, and yes, it's worth it. If it weren't for the nearly toxic mentality that (not all but many) people have, we would absolutely consider moving back to take advantage of the great schools and affordability. I can't speak to OP's other factors like cost of living or dog breed restrictions but I can say that moving somewhere with a more open-minded vibe is a great idea if you can make it work.

Old 05-22-2017, 06:57 PM

4 posts, read 5,370 times
Thanks for all the advice we ruled out Colorado completely. Breed bans are as worse as race bans and is stereotypical superficial thinking that causes them

Old 05-23-2017, 09:54 AM

11,061 posts, read 7,135,481 times
Quote:
TN also has a state income tax
TN has no standard, per paycheck, income tax. Only income from stocks and bonds is taxed. That means many people there do not pay income taxes, rather than in CO where every employee is affected. Chances are, the OP will gain income tax expenses with a move to CO, and that needs to be factored in.

Nine U.S. states do not level a broad-based individual income tax. Some of these do tax certain forms of personal income:

4. Tennessee has a "Hall income tax" of 6% on income received from stocks and bonds not taxed ad valorem.[13] The Hall income tax is reduced to 5% for tax year 2016, with legislative intent that the tax be statutorily reduced by one percent annually beginning with the first annual session of the 110th general assembly and potentially eliminated by 2022.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_income_tax

Last edited by Thoreau424; 05-23-2017 at 10:32 AM..

Old 05-23-2017, 01:08 PM

Quote:
TN has no standard, per paycheck, income tax. Only income from stocks and bonds is taxed. That means many people there do not pay income taxes, rather than in CO where every employee is affected. Chances are, the OP will gain income tax expenses with a move to CO, and that needs to be factored in.

Nine U.S. states do not level a broad-based individual income tax. Some of these do tax certain forms of personal income:

4. Tennessee has a "Hall income tax" of 6% on income received from stocks and bonds not taxed ad valorem.[13] The Hall income tax is reduced to 5% for tax year 2016, with legislative intent that the tax be statutorily reduced by one percent annually beginning with the first annual session of the 110th general assembly and potentially eliminated by 2022.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_income_tax
Yes, I see that now. Colorado is at the low end of the states for total taxes, but TN is the lowest, so wherever they decide to move, they'll pay more taxes. CNN/Money: Taxes state by state

Old 05-23-2017, 02:53 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Default More data are needed

Quote:
Yes, I see that now. Colorado is at the low end of the states for total taxes, but TN is the lowest, so wherever they decide to move, they'll pay more taxes.
That is a semi-meaningless table.
It does not include real estate taxes which are paid by anyone who lives in a permanent structure.

But, real estate taxes in Chattanooga appear to be very low at 0.2-0.4%.
How does government provide any services with so little revenue?

Last edited by davebarnes; 05-23-2017 at 03:05 PM..

Old 05-23-2017, 03:00 PM

Well, they're not moving here anyway.

Old 05-23-2017, 03:01 PM

8,489 posts, read 8,771,754 times
For others looking for cheaper housing than Boulder but still near it, Longmont will be cheaper for rent and especially to buy. Boulder is very very expensive to buy a house in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver