U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 01:40 PM

29 posts, read 109,617 times

Advertisements

UC Denver, Anschutz Medical Campus, Aurora-housing-sheet.jpg

I started this thread to discuss an area of concentrated growth in Aurora Colorado immediately surrounding the new University of Colorado Denver, Anschutz Medical Campus. The entire student body recently moved to this campus and most of the buildings are completed and occupied. This has ignited the area surrounding campus which is undergoing a complete transformation from blighted to hundreds of millions of dollars in new mixed use developments.

The projected jobs at UCD-AMC at completion are 30,000. To put this in perspective, there are 110,000 in downtown Denver. Despite the notorious Colfax proximity, I see the Jewell Heights/Hoffman Heights neighborhood as an amazing house-buying investment opportunity for the select group of people that work/attend UCD-AMC and will be here for at least 5 years. At present I am personally aware of 11 students that live and/or have bought in this particular neighborhood. Even with the abysmal real estate outlook we're currently experiencing, I would imagine that buying a brick 3 bedroom/2 bathroom house for well under $100,000 is a steal with the surrounding projects going up. During the height of the bubble these houses were selling for over $200,000. Until these multi-million projects are done and word gets out about the transformation I see prices remaining suppressed due to the negative reputation of the area and high foreclosure rates.

As a student, I love the convenience of living in walking distance and the crime statistics are lower than they were at the old 9th Ave/Colorado Blvd campus.

Fitzsimons Promenade (restaurant/retail)
Fitzsimons Village (mixed use)--I'm guessing a Mariott in this one. They're also putting in an outdoor fireplace/ice skating rink in the central plaza as well as a pedestrian bridge to campus.
Fitzsimons Palisades (high-end residential apartments)
Hilton Garden Inn-Fitzsimons
Shops at Fitzsimons (restaurant/retail)
Brent's Place (Non-profit organization for children with cancer)
21 Fitzsimons (high-end residential apartments)

I would like to hear about any developments near AMC that I missed on my map and thoughts about buying in Hoffman Heights.

Last edited by USAEconomy; 03-09-2008 at 01:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 07:15 PM

3 posts, read 19,460 times
Hi, I'll be attending UCHSC in January. I'm from Hawaii and I've never been to Colorado before. Any suggestions of where to live? I was looking into Fitz Apartment which is located across the street from campus. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:47 PM

Hi nikenike808,

Welcome to UC Denver-AMC!! The 21 Fitz apartments look really, really nice and should be ideal. They're brand new and super convenient. The only thing is they look like they're going to be pretty expensive, but if that isn't an issue, I'd do it. I'm actually doing a survey in the fall to see where our students actually live so incoming students from out of state have a better idea of what neighborhoods people actually live in. In my opinion I would say the most common neighborhoods are...
Stapleton: convenient, nice neighborhood, expensive, white picket fence feel, small
Wash Park: really expensive, great for the young & active, old houses with character & yards
21 Fitz: looks like it'll be really nice & convenient. Close to work but far from "play" (mountains/bars), expensive. Isolated from other residential areas. Surrounded by the golf course and campus.
Downtown: Bar scene, Art scene
Jewell Height/Hoffman Heights: Affordable, convenient, Close to work but far from "play" (mountains/bars), diverse
Copper Flats Apartments: A little farther, but still walking distance and more affordable than 21 Fitz. Not as isolated from the surrounding neighborhoods. Really close to the Shops at Fitzsimons (Chipotle, Spicey Pickle, Noodles & Company, Pizza)
Lowry: Like Stapleton.

A lot of students still live near the old campus and just don't want to move since they're graduating too soon for it to be worth it. More students will live closer to campus each year and hopefully there will be some sort of "Student Neighborhood" at some point with lots of houses for rent in walking distance. I think Jewell Heights/Hoffman Heights is ideal for that.

I listed things for a single, young student. Having kids in school would change my list.
Check out the Student Assistance Office: Housing Information on the website for rentals & roommates.

Goodluck finding a place!

Old 06-17-2008, 08:13 AM

14,174 posts, read 23,277,518 times
I never thought about that - there are so many apartments by the old campus, they need more at the new campus.

For those of us living in Stapleton, we hope these neighborhoods really take off. It sounds like you can get some great deals around there - under $100K? Maybe I should buy one and rent it out to students!

Old 06-17-2008, 10:18 AM

1,176 posts, read 4,041,906 times
Under 100k is not frequent nor will it get you a house without a whole host of issues.

I'm currently buying, fixing and renting in that area. There are quite a few forclosures and as a result some rather sketchy areas mixed in with some that are not quite as bad.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:20 AM

You can get some insane deals right now & I know of a lot of people thinking about investing in Jewell Heights/Hoffman Heights property. No way to know how many have actually done it though. There are thousands of students/residents/fellows on campus that need more housing options. The key thing is that students usually want to live by other students. I know of a lot that live in my neighborhood but not enough to be able call it a "student neighborhood." More rental houses would be great.

Old 06-19-2008, 12:41 AM

3 posts, read 19,460 times
Hi USAEconomy,

Thank you so much for your detailed response!! I will definitely look into Jewell Heights/Hoffman Heights.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:34 AM

1 posts, read 8,446 times
What is Fitzsimons Palisades? Where is it?

Old 07-01-2008, 05:59 PM

You're very welcome nikenike808 and I hope you find something you like. I recommend driving through the area before you commit but I love it.

To RTD_Mulligan...
Do an internet search for "Palisades at Fitzsimons" and you should get the architectural drawings by Consilium Design for Hibernia Homes. They're still doing demolition and pushing a lot of dirt around but they look like they'll be nice apartments for university people to live in when they're completed. They're going on E 13th Pl between Ursula St and Chester St in the Fitzsimons Village.

Old 07-12-2008, 02:24 PM

1 posts, read 8,352 times
Hi

I am in the proccess of buying a house in the Jewell Height/Hoffman Heights area, because I am coming to UC-Denver-AMC to do a post-doc. I got a really good deal on a house. It has problems as does any house, but I was lucky and the owner agreed to fix the majority of the problems. I liked the area, and you can't beat how close it is to the campus. You would be surprised at how many houses in that area have been fixed-up on the inside, and the majority of them are 1400 sq. ft, with 3bed/2 bath. You cannot go wrong buying next to a campus, there will always be students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or