U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 09:56 PM

6 posts, read 17,221 times

Advertisements

I need some help making a decision. I am a 27yo single female. I have worked as a traveling occupational therapist in Portland,OR and TN. I love eastern TN for the scenery but it is not a great place for singles. I absolutely loved Portland for the location. The city has Forest Park with over 70miles of wooded trails. Of course there's also the ocean, mountains, and blah,blah. I enjoy mountaineering, biking, backpacking, etc.. I really wanted to move back to Portland but am having trouble finding a job in a hospital. However, I found several staffing companies with jobs in Denver hospitals. Although I know the Rockies are beautiful, I'm not sure if I will like Denver. I briefly drove through it and don't remember the city itself (when not looking at the mountains) being that beautiful. Granted I didn't get to look around downtown. I'm also wondering if other people my age are friendly in Denver. In Portland I seemed to have no problem meeting people. Another aspect of Portland that I loved is all the locally owned funky shops. I don't like suburbia with WallMart's and cookie cutter developments. I also like that almost everyone in Oregon is environmentally friendly. I'm sorry for jumping around so much in my post but it's late and I'm driving myself crazy with this decision.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2008, 10:10 PM

386 posts, read 1,593,481 times
Denver and Portland are very different cities and Denver is pretty cookie-cutter and vanilla (though, of course, you can find kitschy local stuff, too). That said, if it's forest you're into....we've got plenty of 'em!

Old 03-09-2008, 10:15 PM

2,755 posts, read 12,179,408 times
Judging by your post, I'd suggest you consider moving to Portland. I admire a lot about Portland in many ways, but as a Denver resident I feel on balance, Denver has at least as much to offer. Nevertheless, Denver is different than Portland in so many ways, if you're expecting Denver to be "like Portland" you'll no doubt be disappointed. Our climate is dramatically different -- we're basically a high desert in Denver, next to the mountains, so those lush NW forests simply don't exist here, except for the alpine forests in the mountains. Clearly, no ocean either, no Columbia River -- water here is extremely scarce. Denver's urban fabric, on the other hand, is on-par with Portland. We're a very old city for being in the west, Denver was a large metropolis even 110 years ago, and even today Denver's downtown and city neighborhoods are far different than it must have appeared driving along the freeway.

In any case, I think if you gave Denver a fair chance, you'd probably like it here, but it sounds that by your post that your heart is in Portland, so I wouldn't settle for Denver if I were you, if Portland is really where you want to be.

Old 03-09-2008, 10:32 PM

Well, I guess my heart is in Portland, but job is also important to me. I may have an opportunity to work in a pretty good job in Denver. However, I guess it is also important to me that there are a lot of outdoorsy and friendly late 20s, early 30s crowd. By outdoorsy I don't just mean skiing/snowboarding. I am way more into backpacking, hiking, mountaineering, than downhill sports (although I tried cross-country skiing once and loved that). I also don't quite fit the granola, dread-locked population that are dominant in some parts of Portland (I have to be somewhat professional with a medical degree , but I don't fit into posh, pretentious or cookie-cutter environments either. I guess I'm somewhere in between. Unfortunately, I can't afford to just fly down right now and am working full time in TN.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:12 AM

26,345 posts, read 87,045,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyonthemountain View Post
I really wanted to move back to Portland but am having trouble finding a job in a hospital. However, I found several staffing companies with jobs in Denver hospitals.
I wonder why this is. Denver and Portland are about the same size, right?

Old 03-10-2008, 10:59 AM

14 posts, read 39,598 times
I'm really into hiking myself and I know that the mountains are completely different from Oregon. I am currently trying to climb all of the fourteeners which is a fun goal and it takes some time. If you are into the environment then Boulder or somewhere near there would be a good place to live. Lots of really good hiking/biking trails right in you back yard and a really liberal city. You will run into a few granola heads though. Also, I know Denver is alway's ranked up there for single people to live. I am 25 and single, but it is not hard to find a date if you try.

Old 03-10-2008, 12:19 PM

Thanks. I probably would move to Capital hill area if I go to Portland due to central location to hospitals. I already thought about making the 14'er goal as well if I do come out there. I guess what I would miss about Portland is the weirdness such as downtown organized pillow fights, pub crawls with people dressed as Santa, urban iditerod with people dressed in costumes racing with shopping carts full of Pabst through downtown. However, I am an adventurous nature girl as well and know CO would have a lot to offer. Is it easy to meet friends around my age there? Is there a good scene in Denver for Bluegrass or jam bands? (I realize Yonder is from CO

Old 03-10-2008, 12:41 PM
j1n

1,240 posts, read 4,328,047 times
Quote:
Is there a good scene in Denver for Bluegrass or jam bands? (I realize Yonder is from CO
String Cheese Incident are still based out of Boulder, I believe. Anyone know if the Fox Theater is still having shows?

Old 03-10-2008, 12:50 PM

2,755 posts, read 12,179,408 times
Quote:
Well, I guess my heart is in Portland, but job is also important to me. I may have an opportunity to work in a pretty good job in Denver. However, I guess it is also important to me that there are a lot of outdoorsy and friendly late 20s, early 30s crowd. By outdoorsy I don't just mean skiing/snowboarding. I am way more into backpacking, hiking, mountaineering, than downhill sports (although I tried cross-country skiing once and loved that).
Portland and Denver are both known for being meccas of outdoor sports enthusiasts. If that's your passion, you'll find many to share it here. As for mountaineering, Colorado has the lion's share of the fouteeners in the lower 48. In fact, I'd venture that in many ways Denver is far more of a mecca for some outdoor sports than Portland, not to take anything away from that city.

Old 03-10-2008, 01:27 PM

14 posts, read 39,598 times
I really don't think you'll have a hard time meeting people. Lodo is a good area with lots of good bars where there is a plethera of young poeple. Not sure about the events you described, they sound interesting. As far as the jam band scene, they are more drawn to Fort Collins and Boulder which neither are over 1 hour 15 minutes away from Denver. I have been to the String Cheese concerts at Red Rocks (the best concert venue in the world) almost every year except this last year. They broke up and played their last concert at Red Rocks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver