Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 02:08 PM

401 posts, read 486,914 times

Advertisements

Good Luck with everything and come back and ask questions if you need help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2017, 05:12 PM

3 posts, read 3,816 times
Hi to a dognamesam,
I am 71 y/o old retired guy and a 4th generation Coloradoan. I let you know that simply for you to understand that as a new arrival you need to have someone that knows everything about Colorado. 20 years teaching American history and more importantly, Colorado history. 27 years as Director of Travel and Convention Colorado. Years and years of travel into every cranny of our "red dirt" state (Indian name is Colorado),

Welcome to you and here's hoping your new job goes well.

You can contact me for just about anything that relates to our beautiful state. merleman38@gmail.com Aurora from Hampden Avenue south is ok. I would not recommend Hampden north. Not to say that large area is all bad. Just be very careful in north Aurora.
A side note....when I came off the farm with my parents we moved to Aurora in 1958. Population 46,000. 2017 population, near 400,000.

Old 09-26-2017, 05:48 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Welcome! (well, almost). I also moved here for family reasons rather than specifically for what Denver and Colorado offer. So I can say that you don't need to ski or snowboard or rock climb or even be 420 friendly (although you do have to tolerate use by others) to enjoy living here. There is plenty of other stuff to do. If it's not already an interest, hiking is a good thing to add to your list of activities - they don't have to up a mountain, there are plenty of more mild trails to hit, but that's definitely one of the best ways to enjoy the outdoors here esp. if you aren't into other mountain sports.

But yeah, I miss the ocean, a lot.

Old 09-28-2017, 11:22 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,106,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADogNamedSam View Post
I suspect the only thing I will miss in Maryland will be the ocean/beaches/Chesapeake bay and possibly being equidistant between three pretty good-sized pop centers (Baltimore, DC, Annapolis). In exchange I'm getting the mountains in the distance to the west and some good snowfall.

My life will be simpler (selling a 6 BR 3-1/2 Bath 3800 sq ft home, moving into a 1-BR 1 Bath Apt), with a significantly reduced footprint (Friday I'm giving away my mower, weed whacker, wheelbarrow, Adirondack chairs, grill, 2 tanks, and a bench, for example) ... everything is going in the apt or a 10'x10' storage unit. New company, position, customer, climate, elevation, ... culture ... should be exciting !

I am not into skiing, snowboarding, rock climbing ... not a "bro culture" dude ... 53 yrs old ... not 420 friendly ... can take or leave craft beer ... so I'm different from a lot of the other CO "immigrants". My move is predicated on being closer to my four kids (12 13 15 17) in NW Wyoming.

Appreciate the kind responses !
Welcome! Hope you like it. Enjoy all the sunshine, though it's been raining quite a bit lately.

And boy oh boy do I miss the Maryland seafood. I'd kill for a bushel of Maryland Blue Carbs right about now.

Old 10-05-2017, 08:54 PM

2,066 posts, read 900,136 times
Blue Carbs ... Freudian ! Haha

I made it, been here two days, drove 25 straight hours with ADogNamedSam. My furniture may arrive next week *mad face*. Seeing my kids Saturday! Can't wait. Apartment is livable, new job should be interesting.

No one told me about the prairie dogs! I walked past at least 50 on my walk to work (I love not having to drive to work anymore!)

Kind words appreciated, folks! Still need to find a spot to view the western range.

Old 10-05-2017, 09:07 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
Quote:
Blue Carbs ... Freudian ! Haha

I made it, been here two days, drove 25 straight hours with ADogNamedSam. My furniture may arrive next week *mad face*. Seeing my kids Saturday! Can't wait. Apartment is livable, new job should be interesting.

No one told me about the prairie dogs! I walked past at least 50 on my walk to work (I love not having to drive to work anymore!)

Kind words appreciated, folks! Still need to find a spot to view the western range.
Keep your pooch away from the prairie dogs. They're notorious for plague outbreaks. The fleas on the prairie dogs can transmit the plague to you and your dog.

Old 10-07-2017, 09:06 PM

2,066 posts, read 900,136 times
Good to know about the prairie dogs. They sure are adorable though. Love the way their tails wag at hyper-speed.

Met my ex at a sort of halfway point today, to see my kids, met up in Casper WY. Musings:

Leaving Aurora on I-70 to I-25 gave me that view of the mountains I had been craving. Can't understand why on the return trip it was often stop-and-go from Fort Collins back south. On Saturday around 5 PM. Aggravating.

Saw my first honest-to-gosh tumbleweeds. The wind was perpendicular to I-25, and gusting up to 40 mph I believe. Two crossed in front of me that looked as big as washing machines (saw many tiny ones too). Also: a driver can cover a lot of road, doing 90 in the 80 zones for much of the distance.

I was on the I-470 toll road coming back, thanks to my GPS. How will they bill me, with my MD tags ? Don't want my transfer to CO plates to be halted by unpaid toll fees.

Hoping the rumors of some fluffy white stuff come to fruition tomorrow/Monday. Though I only brought sandals with me and the movers haven't called yet. Might have to wear socks with them (fashion faux pas alert!)

Old 10-07-2017, 10:33 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,548,648 times
Quote:
Good to know about the prairie dogs. They sure are adorable though. Love the way their tails wag at hyper-speed.

Met my ex at a sort of halfway point today, to see my kids, met up in Casper WY. Musings:

Leaving Aurora on I-70 to I-25 gave me that view of the mountains I had been craving. Can't understand why on the return trip it was often stop-and-go from Fort Collins back south. On Saturday around 5 PM. Aggravating.

Saw my first honest-to-gosh tumbleweeds. The wind was perpendicular to I-25, and gusting up to 40 mph I believe. Two crossed in front of me that looked as big as washing machines (saw many tiny ones too). Also: a driver can cover a lot of road, doing 90 in the 80 zones for much of the distance.

I was on the I-470 toll road coming back, thanks to my GPS. How will they bill me, with my MD tags ? Don't want my transfer to CO plates to be halted by unpaid toll fees.

Hoping the rumors of some fluffy white stuff come to fruition tomorrow/Monday. Though I only brought sandals with me and the movers haven't called yet. Might have to wear socks with them (fashion faux pas alert!)
Go online and pay. https://www.e-470.com/Pages/PayingTo...ing-Tolls.aspx

Old 10-08-2017, 07:49 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,412,706 times
Quote:
No problem. Your bill will be mailed to the address on your MD registration. We didn't register our cars here until a month after moving here and before we paid any E470 tolls incurred with our MD tags. It wasn't an issue.

Old 10-08-2017, 09:36 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,548,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges View Post
No problem. Your bill will be mailed to the address on your MD registration. We didn't register our cars here until a month after moving here and before we paid any E470 tolls incurred with our MD tags. It wasn't an issue.
And by the time it takes for the mail to get forwarded there could be late fees. Best to just go online and pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver