U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 03:43 PM

398 posts, read 133,051 times

Advertisements

A few months have elapsed since my visit to Denver, described here: Musings on my weekend visit to Denver May 5th-7th ... I enjoyed the lively discussion and took some thoughts away from the thread regarding my visit.

I am signing and sending back an offer letter from a company that needs my programming skills in the CentreTech region (Aurora, just west of Buckley AFB). Taking about a 4% cut in salary and slightly worse medical coverage (high deductable - ugh). In two to three weeks I'll be pulling out of Maryland and heading to Colorado ! Filling my Grand Cherokee with stuff (laptop, flatscreen, PS-4, and of course dog bed, crate, food, toys, bones, leashes, ...) and hiring movers to ... uh ... move the furniture. I don't have much, downsized/purged post-divorce to about a room or two ... bedroom set and a sectional.

Keeping my house in Maryland, renting it out as a "pressure release valve" that I can return to. I might sell it in a few years, who knows. Nice to have it as a fallback in case I realize I've made a mistake. Being in Aurora means I'm only an eight hour drive from where my four kids live in Wyoming (N/W corner). This is huge for me and a primary driver to relocation.

Me and ADogNamedSam will be renting an apartment/condo/townhome, the new company set me up with an agent to handle the drudgery. Just need a 1 BR/1 Bath, hoping to get a reasonable one for $1000-$1200 a month with a garage (extra), tile or wood floors (ADogNamedSam loves him some cool hard surfaces), Washer/Dryer in-unit, and some walking trails nearby.

Single moms between 35 and 55 also an additional benefit, if available.

The advice I read again and again is to get housing close to work, visit the locales farther away on weekends/down time. Got it ! A five to ten minute commute will let me let ADogNamedSam out during the day and let me ignore snowfall that might paralyze the highways and interstates.

What is the CenterTech area "like" ? Most of the Apartments are like 2 stars out of 5 ... not sure how much credence to place in them, though I pay attention to trends (four messages saying bedbugs are an issue, six complaining about parking, three complaining about lackluster maintenance crews and management) ... think I'll be south of 6th street so well south of Colfax Avenue which I read so much (negative) about. Probably rent until I see a reasonable 1-2BR Condo for sale, or decide to try my hand in San Antonio (which, if not for the low salaries in the city, would be my perfect match for any number of reasons). I don't think I could touch my 6 BR/3.5 Bath $550K MD home for under about $875K in Denver. Yes I've read a lot about that and jumped over to the Denver Post on-line for extra reading.

No other questions, really, beside about the area, which I imagine is just like any other suburban region, corner quick marts, gas stations, some ethnic carry-out, tire stores, ... blah blah blah. Other threads have run the gamut from altitude sickness to lack of water/"green"-ness to registering automobiles to pot (I never touch the stuff) to paying for parking at the Cherry Creek mall to improvements to the rail system ... I've devoured a hundred threads or more, with appreciation to those piping in about the vast array of topics.

After living on the East Coast for all of my 53 years, I am looking forward to a change (in altitude, climate, lifestyle, and all that). I think the only thing I'll miss is the beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2017, 04:02 PM

10,910 posts, read 29,397,473 times
I was born in DC and raised in MD, you will be fine. Less humidity, fewer bugs, more days to recreate outdoors.

Old 06-30-2017, 07:20 PM

395 posts, read 283,909 times
As far as touching the 6 bedroom/3.5 bath it would depend on where and when you bought. I just secured one for my buyers at $450,000 in a nice neighborhood just north of downtown Denver but yes if you wanted to be in the city or within a 5-10 minute commute that might be a stretch. Aurora is still more affordable than other areas though and that could definitely be a possibility.

The CenterTech area is right near Buckley Air Force base and is a nicer part of Aurora. You will hear many different views on Aurora and I think the thing to remember is it really varies from neighborhood to neighborhood over there and in most areas East of Denver. Securing a short-term lease may be a good choice so that you can explore what you like or don't like about different areas before making a more permanent choice on location.

I grew up in Australia, lived in St Louis for 7 years and have been in Colorado for 5 years now. I enjoy the lack of humidity, the many warmer days in winter and the nice odd cooler days in summer, the hiking, biking and general outdoor lifestyle, friendly people and easy access to things.

Old 07-01-2017, 08:04 AM

86,996 posts, read 102,581,357 times
I don't know anything about that area as I live in the NW burbs, but congrats on the job!

Last edited by Mike from back east; 07-01-2017 at 10:47 AM..

Old 07-01-2017, 08:28 AM

6,946 posts, read 6,555,534 times
Congrats!

Old 07-01-2017, 10:05 AM

974 posts, read 524,174 times
I live near there, you shouldn't have trouble finding a place in that price range... I don't rent so I don't know much about the various complexes.

If it were me I might move a bit further down Alameda to be near the new light rail station for downtown and airport access.

Old 07-03-2017, 11:27 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,112,860 times
Congratulations and good luck with " Single moms between 35 and 55 also an additional benefit, if available. "

Old 07-06-2017, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
I was born in DC and raised in MD, you will be fine. Less humidity, fewer bugs, more days to recreate outdoors.
I spent four days (July 4th long weekend) with a friend that just moved back to the MD eastern shore. Mostly in her yard cutting limbs, weeding, trimming, hedging, trying to avoid poison ivy (unsuccessfully), hauling brush, and some repair work. I was eaten alive by mosquitos, mostly on my legs. Ankle bites are the worst.

Won't miss the bugs and humidity, not a bit !

Old 07-06-2017, 11:52 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,112,860 times
I went camping in a place in Colorado called mosquito Gulch. It's at about nine thousand feet on the other side of the mountain from Bailey. I did not know why they called it mosquito Gulch until I went down to the Stream. I have camped other places were there a lot of mosquitoes where there is water but once you get away from the water it is very very nice. My favorite place is called gold Park.

Old 07-06-2017, 12:02 PM

Thanks for the warm wishes and suggestions, all !

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthDenverGirl View Post
The CenterTech area is right near Buckley Air Force base and is a nicer part of Aurora. You will hear many different views on Aurora and I think the thing to remember is it really varies from neighborhood to neighborhood over there ...
This makes me feel as though I have made a sound decision. It looks like a fairly industrial area ... spread out ... nothing nearby but lots of businesses (gas stations, food marts, carry-outs) within a mile or two to the South, West, and North. Golf course splitting the diagonal, hoping for a path around it for dog walks.

To the outsider (me), Aurora evokes the memory of the movie theater shooting, not much else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or