Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 07:09 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,616,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
Why would I need data? I'm not trying to prove this is the case, but rather why the area seems to be known for it when it's likely other places have just as much or more instances.

Yes, seems to. See I can put it in a sentence like Denver seems to have less crime than Detroit. I could keep going, but you get the point. I don't associate Denver with very high crime and I don't think most people do either. Is there something I should know?

Next I suppose you're going to want data on Texas having crime/"dangerous cities" cities.

Not directly. Point I was trying to make was maybe they standout more since there's less crime there than some other areas.
I can understand that point of view from somebody outside the city and state. I used to think New York City was known for its crime and now to me it is known as the location of the worst terror attack in human history. I haven't been there but I know there is more to the city than just being a terror target.

It should be noted that the Aurora Theater shooter was not home grown. He came from San Diego and had a history of mental illness. The people that were treating him just didn't know the extent of his illness even after he quit getting help.

Old 07-09-2017, 08:10 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,557,632 times
This thread is ridiculous.

Old 07-09-2017, 08:14 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,417,131 times
Quote:
Why would I need data? I'm not trying to prove this is the case, but rather why the area seems to be known for it when it's likely other places have just as much or more instances.

//snip//

Not directly. Point I was trying to make was maybe they standout more since there's less crime there than some other areas.
They don't stand out because there is less overall crime. They stand out because they were horrific. Columbine was the first/worst massacre of its kind at a school. Nobody ever dreamed this could happen. It was headline news for a long time, during a time when cable wasn't that big and families did tend to watch the news together every night, and Colorado just wasn't in the news that much at the time for anything else. It stays with you. The theater shooting was similar. It hadn't happened before in a movie theater, a place where families go to be entertained and had never felt unsafe doing so. I lived on the east coast when these happened, but the association with Colorado is ingrained. The Arapahoe HS shooting occurred a few months before we moved here and former co-workers advised us to be careful because of all the shootings that occur here. I feel the same way about the Va Tech massacre. That will always stay with me because it was so incredibly horrible. Who ever thought this many students (32) could die at the hands of another student while in their classrooms. Some things you never forget.

Old 07-09-2017, 08:23 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,389,750 times
Quote:
Denver and other places around Colorado seem to have fairly low violence, but it seems to be a hot spot for those mass shootings. Anyone have theories why on this may be a thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
It may simply be that guns are easier to get and access here. I'm from Jersey, which has pretty strict gun laws. Crime rates are technically higher than in Colorado. But I've found crime here to be more random.

In a word...PERCEPTION.

There is plenty of evidence to prove the contrary. However, personal perception creates the reality we tend to use to create our views.

Old 07-09-2017, 09:49 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times
Good grief. There are so many variables at play that to attribute unusual violence to gun laws or any other one or two factors is simple-minded at best.

The Columbine killers were not typical HS students in CO or anywhere else. They were extremely f'ed up, AND the many warning signs were not taken seriously. The school culture might not be perfect (whatever that is)--and yet many thousands of other kids there somehow managed not to become murderers. Hmmmm.

Let's forget about gun-specific violence and talk violence in general. Let's take mass murderers who used other means, and let's say that there was something about the state they lived in that caused them to commit those crimes. BULL! It is the state of their MINDS that is to blame, not their geographic state.

Old 07-09-2017, 10:35 AM

688 posts, read 1,101,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Yes, it is. My thoughts exactly...

Old 07-09-2017, 11:46 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
I think we all agree on that. We've had several of these threads over the years and this one is ending up the same as the others: CLOSED.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver