U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 11:15 PM

17 posts, read 9,708 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm considering relocating to the Denver or Boulder area next year, but I'm having trouble finding what I'm looking for, even though I know it exists. I would greatly appreciate some guidance on how to find it and what kind of cost I might be looking at. I know there are many of these posts... but I am looking for something VERY different!

I was in the Louisville area this past week and noticed there are quite a few old small farm properties just outside of town. Honestly, most look a bit run down. That's actually what I want. An old property, half an acre or more, that perhaps hasn't been well-maintained, might sell for a lower price and I can redo it as I want. Unlike most people, I don't need a big house. Two bedrooms, under 1500 ft. is fine. I don't care about granite countertops and the trendiest appliances. I'm disabled so buying a renovated property I just have to remodel again for wheelchair access is a huge waste of money.

What I do want is a large property with space to park an RV, a barn or outbuilding and neighbors who won't care that I have dogs, and perhaps chickens and a mini horse. Not talking huge numbers of dogs here, just huge dogs (Newfoundlands). My kids are of the 4-legged variety, so I don't care about schools, and I don't need a high-end area, just someplace safe where I'm not going to get shot. I'm the neighbor you'd hate in a fancy neighborhood, but love if the previous property owner collected rusty cars and thought mowing the lawn more than once a year was too much work.

I'm open to many areas in the Denver or Boulder region, so long as it's not too remote or mountainous. I would prefer a flat piece of land reasonably close to grocery store etc. and no more than 45 min from downtown Denver. Hoping to keep this under 400 K but I'm really astounded by home prices right now!

My problem is that when I look at the real estate listings, on Zillow anyway, I don't see many of these properties. Here's one I did find, a good example though I know nothing about Fort Lupton.
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...75_rect/10_zm/
How would I find more like this in Louisville and other areas? Which areas should I be checking?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 11:36 PM

569 posts, read 1,046,560 times
Inventory of all types is super low and it sounds like you are looking for a rather unique property. Fort Lupton is bit aways from the metro area---you may want to keep your eyes focused on parts of Arvada and Westminster...further north, there are some possibilities around Erie. Your options increase as you go east, but you start to find yourself in more remote areas.

Old 08-16-2017, 12:19 AM

13,973 posts, read 20,251,487 times
You need a bigger budget.
You need a really good buyer's agent.
I hope you are prepared to pay cash.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:04 AM

2,514 posts, read 3,494,166 times
The problem is that in your price range the flippers are competing for all the old run down properties in desirable areas. Anything on a large lot is a candidate for having the house torn down and a large expensive house built. Lot of people would love to do that in the desirable areas like Denver, Boulder and Louisville so you are also competing against rich people instead of just flippers.

Realistically I think you have two choices.
#1 is to buy a smaller property in a non-HOA area that allows you to park your RV. Likely you should be able to keep 3-4 dogs depending on the city. Each city is different so check that out. Some cities allow chickens. You would have to find a rural zoned property to allow the horse and then you are likely out of your price range.
Something like this:
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...49_rect/10_zm/
Broomfield allows 4 dogs. Big advantage is close to medical, grocery, transportation services like Uber etc.

#2 is to go north of Denver and east of I-25 to some of the smaller towns all up and down the northern front range. This is probably your best bet for what you are looking for but it may not have the amenities nearby that you would like or are used to.
This one looks to be right off the interstate.
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...53_rect/10_zm/

The biggest concerns that you need to look at are where is your water source coming from? Do you have reliable and sustainable access to potable water for use in the house and water for exterior use? Can you get high speed internet? Do you have cell phone coverage?

Many homes in that price range will not have AC.

You asked about areas to look at. One area to keep an eye on is Brighton.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:44 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,106,161 times
I would try the area around Boise Idaho before no one can afford it either , the investors and flippers are buying up everything in the mountain west but Boise is still lower then The front range of Colorado. You might still be able to find something in the far north of Colorado or the far south of Colorado.

0.13 acres | Residential Land for Sale | Larimer County, CO | Land And Farm

vacant lot .13 acres in the Town of Berthoud $ 80,000. ( 5662.8 sq ft of land )

yep this is where I am going to build my retirement shipping container ....

Old 08-16-2017, 08:59 AM

391 posts, read 279,765 times
There are parts a little more East where you might be able to find what you want.

Ft Lupton
Brighton
Small parts of Henderson
Dacono
Lochbuie
Hudson

I would start with these as they might fit your budget better than properties that are close to Boulder. The closer you get to Boulder the more expensive things are going to get. I have a friend who has a farm out in Hudson with pigs and cows, lots of dogs, they love it out there.

Old 08-16-2017, 09:35 AM

3,466 posts, read 1,706,384 times
You could also look east in the Watkins/Bennett/Strasburg area. A problem would be the need to rely on I-70 for the commute if you work regular hours. Right now at 930 a.m. it's showing a 35-45 min commute downtown, but it would have been different an hour ago.

Old 08-16-2017, 10:06 AM

3,061 posts, read 2,090,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post

You asked about areas to look at. One area to keep an eye on is Brighton.

That's what I thought of immediately. Brighton, Lochbuie, Ft Lupton. North Adams and south Weld county will meet most of this criteria. Flat, larger lots, not trendy, a mix of small 1960s ranch styles houses and newer multi-level construction, not too far to Denver metro, easy access to either I-25 or I-76 depending on exact location. Prices under $400k I have no clue about though. It may be possible.

Old 08-16-2017, 11:24 AM

17 posts, read 9,708 times
I work from home, so I don't need to get on the freeway during rush hour very often. I love theatre and culture and I'm a lesbian... so I want to live near a liberal city where I have access to all those things. I realize the more rural areas will be more conservative and that's OK. I keep to myself and prefer neighbors who do the same. But someplace like Boise would not be for me. I specifically want to live in the Denver area as I have family and close friends there.

I looked around a few years ago and found lots of places I liked in Lakewood, but prices seem to have skyrocketed in that area.

What's that area west of Golden like? Too remote? I see cheaper properties and lots out there. I could do a mobile home if it's allowed, or modular house. I've been in Golden itself and like it.

Old 08-16-2017, 11:36 AM

569 posts, read 1,046,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeWheelinTravel View Post

What's that area west of Golden like? Too remote? I see cheaper properties and lots out there. I could do a mobile home if it's allowed, or modular house. I've been in Golden itself and like it.
West of Golden is pretty mountainous. Gourgeous area, but tough when it comes to accessibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or