U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 09:22 PM

942 posts, read 1,252,513 times

Advertisements

Online Subscriptions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2017, 10:25 PM

568 posts, read 1,043,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadow12 View Post

Any suggestions would be great for towns or locations to check out would be great. We’re looking to rent for a year at around $1800/month than hopefully buy something under 1200-1500 sq feet for around or less than 300k.
Check out Arvada, which has a cute downtown. Westminster is building a new downtown style shopping area. Places like Superior, Louisville and Lafayette will require a much bigger budget. Longmont is a possibility. Of course, prices will increase in a year, so what fits the budget now, will likely be just out of reach next year.

Old 08-18-2017, 07:18 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,101,405 times
Golden is really a nice place it has a downtown area also. I have a friend that lives on Illinois st in a town house .

https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/.../pid_19241102/

no HOA

taxes 2000

1700 sq ft

$ 489,000 ! sheeeeeeezzzz

https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/.../pid_19120965/

one Bd
2 bath

$ 279,000

Old 08-18-2017, 08:18 AM

20 posts, read 18,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie Daugie View Post
Check out Arvada, which has a cute downtown. Westminster is building a new downtown style shopping area. Places like Superior, Louisville and Lafayette will require a much bigger budget. Longmont is a possibility. Of course, prices will increase in a year, so what fits the budget now, will likely be just out of reach next year.
That's what I'm looking for. Thanks. I'll add Arvada and Westminster to our list to check out. Looks like there is quite a bit of rentals available on the eastern part where Arvada and Westminster meet. Is there a decent area?

I understand our budget will have to come up. I think I had an idea of what I wanted a monthly payment to be around and I think we can afford quite a bit more with taxes being 5k less a year. I know the market around Denver is booming and will increase year over year but I like the idea of renting for a year or so just to make sure this will be a good fit for us.

Old 08-18-2017, 08:19 AM

86,871 posts, read 102,248,055 times
As a pharmacist, your wife can probably get a job most anywhere. Where do you expect to be working, OP? That would help us guide you.

Old 08-18-2017, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilberry View Post
Golden is really a nice place it has a downtown area also. I have a friend that lives on Illinois st in a town house .

https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/.../pid_19241102/

no HOA

taxes 2000

1700 sq ft

$ 489,000 ! sheeeeeeezzzz

That first property would be amazing location wise. We stopped in Golden about 4 years ago and loved their downtown area. The price is actually lower than what I expected out of a nice location. I think once we got established for a year or 2 something like that may be a possibility but who knows what something like that would go for then. We probably have a similar monthly payment when I actually think about it. I'm paying $500 more a month on taxes and $200 more on HOA on 200k townhome.

Old 08-18-2017, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
As a pharmacist, your wife can probably get a job most anywhere. Where do you expect to be working, OP? That would help us guide you.
I am a Branch Manager for Chase. Transferring shouldn't be much of an issue for me or finding a job at another bank that is comparable. We kind of want her to get a job there first before I look to transfer since she makes substantially more than I do. She is looking at Costcos, Sams, possibly Walmarts. We make roughly 200-220k between us. I know we could afford more of a house but we are kind of frugal with money I guess, outside of travelling. I think I just need to get over spending more.

Last edited by Sadow12; 08-18-2017 at 08:55 AM..

Old 08-18-2017, 10:16 AM

13,941 posts, read 20,179,537 times
https://www.redfin.com/CO/Wheat-Ridg.../home/34414597

Look in Wheat Ridge
between 26th and 38th and Sheridan west to Wadsworth
close to lots of activities
easy commuting to may places
cheaper than city of Denver, but very close to its amenities

Old 08-18-2017, 11:54 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,101,405 times
I love that part of Golden near the downtown

Old 08-18-2017, 01:03 PM

389 posts, read 277,242 times
Hi! We moved from Illinois 5 years ago, my husband worked for the St Louis College of Pharmacy for many years and we had one of our pharmacist friends follow us out here after they realized how much better it is living here than in Illinois.

Like others have mentioned property taxes are a whole lot cheaper here than in Illinois so that is a plus.

To meet your budget townhomes/condos would definitely be the way to go. Here are some areas you might want to check out.

Arvada
Brighton
Westminster
Broomfield (you can get 2-bed condos close to the new downtown area they will be building)
Thornton (not really a walkable downtown area but more affordable and may meet some of your other criteria)
Dacono ( a little further north but a sweet old downtown area with a good bbq restaurant that offers up good beer)

We are brewery hoppers too, Brighton has 2 great breweries and another on the way, all in a sweet older downtown area and it is one of the more affordable options.

Louisville, Lafayette and anything closer to Boulder is likely going to be beyond what you want to pay, even for a townhome and rent wise as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or