U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 03:54 PM

55 posts, read 33,902 times

Advertisements

My son just started his semester at Metro State. In October he has to fly to New York to attend his brothers wedding and of course too, he's in the wedding party. He just looked at his test schedule and sees he has a test while he's going to be in New York attending the wedding.

How strict are they with their makeup policies regarding tests. Is it up the individual teacher whether to let them take it beforehand or afterwards or will he just have to failing grade for the test?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 04:47 PM

6,904 posts, read 6,499,225 times
Have him be a big boy and ask the teacher.

Old 08-24-2017, 04:52 PM

7,190 posts, read 12,581,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJcruiser01 View Post
My son just started his semester at Metro State. In October he has to fly to New York to attend his brothers wedding and of course too, he's in the wedding party. He just looked at his test schedule and sees he has a test while he's going to be in New York attending the wedding.

How strict are they with their makeup policies regarding tests. Is it up the individual teacher whether to let them take it beforehand or afterwards or will he just have to failing grade for the test?
HE SHOULD ASK THE PROFESSOR.

Seriously, he couldn't figure this out himself? How on earth can an anonymous Internet forum have more info about an individual professor's policies than the professor himself/herself?!!

(Sorry for the rant ... I am always just amazed at people who ask Internet strangers questions that could EASILY be answered by, you know, one person in REAL LIFE.)

Old 08-24-2017, 05:34 PM

Of course he intends to ask the professor. I asked this question for myself. He doesn't even know I'm on this board. Just wanted to know if anyone knew the schools rules, that's all. My own curiosity question and a mom that worries all the time being that he lives in Colorado and I live in New York. LOL

Old 08-24-2017, 05:38 PM

13,949 posts, read 20,201,871 times

If I was the prof, I would flunk him if he missed the exam.
I assume this is his brother's first wedding. He will have another opportunity.

Old 08-24-2017, 05:39 PM

Not at all! He's been out of the house on his own for the past 5 years and living in another state.

Old 08-24-2017, 06:11 PM

7,190 posts, read 12,581,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJcruiser01 View Post
Of course he intends to ask the professor. I asked this question for myself. He doesn't even know I'm on this board. Just wanted to know if anyone knew the schools rules, that's all. My own curiosity question and a mom that worries all the time being that he lives in Colorado and I live in New York. LOL
Ah, OK. But you do know that professors usually have autonomy in making these decisions, right? That's why an anonymous Internet board can't tell you what HIS professor will actually do.

I AM a college professor, and under the circumstances, I would likely allow him to take the exam EARLY. Honestly, usually students would want to take it LATER -- i.e., after they got back. Um, no, that won't work. But early (and maybe a different test, if I think it will be a problem)? Probably possible.

Old 08-24-2017, 06:21 PM

2,514 posts, read 3,487,858 times
I'm going to just rip the bandaid off.

Little Johnie doesn't want to go to his brothers wedding so has told you he will flunk a test if he leaves on that date. A test on that date may or may not be real. If this were a real concern he would have already asked the prof. and told you the answer or just made arrangements to take the test early or late without passing on the info to mom.

Old 08-24-2017, 09:28 PM

4,875 posts, read 9,619,939 times
Mom, you really need to let this guy go. I'm guessing he's your youngest and the last to leave the nest. So far on this forum you've asked about apartments for him and how to register his car, and now you are worried about him missing a college class???

Hate to sound rude, but I think that you need to find a hobby to keep you busy.

Old 08-24-2017, 09:31 PM

2,181 posts, read 5,615,348 times
I was an adjunct lecturer at CU-Denver and I had the autonomy to handle a situation like that on my own. I doubt Metro has some sort of overarching policy regarding this situation, so it would be best for him to talk to his professor about it, now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or