U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 04:44 PM

50 posts, read 33,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Ski View Post
You won't really find this in Denver.

If you want those things, and you want to be able to afford the COL, you should look into Albuquerque, Pueblo, or Reno. All cities are cheaper, not crowded, and have the same mountain scenery as the front range.

If you take out the Rockies, you have DOZENS of other cheap places to live with friendly people and great scenery around the country.
Thanks for the reply! I'll look into those other places. I have 10 days off of work so maybe I can make a road trip out of it.

Any other places you've been that you would recommend? I haven't spent much time in the south. I think my #1 preference would just be a place with milder winters. I'm so tired of the bitter, windy cold from October til March and then freezing rain all the rest of the way thru early May. It's very demotivating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 08:58 AM

641 posts, read 384,153 times
Yeah, just don't on something that low. Just because a lot do it, doesn't make it a good idea.

My husband and I looked at Des Moines & Omaha....we really liked those areas.

Old 08-29-2017, 09:01 AM

641 posts, read 384,153 times
You might also like Phoenix, Pueblo, New Mexico, etc. if it's the winters.

Old 08-29-2017, 10:01 AM

648 posts, read 1,658,074 times
eastern TN, western NC and SC. Not a lot of congestion, mild winters, nice fall colors, super friendly people and generally pretty cheap.

Old 08-29-2017, 10:22 AM

5,070 posts, read 9,061,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahd0w View Post
A lot of people I know from Chicago have been moving there. Maybe they'll end up coming back :/ I know a lot of people are moving away from here but it sounds like prices for housing are rising all over the country. I'm not sure what options I have left! It's very frustrating. I just want to move somewhere less congested, friendlier and with milder winters. Doesn't have to be paradise, but I can't stand the C suburbs or the city anymore.
This sounds like 75% of the country is in play, but I'd agree with others Denver is probably not in it.

Old 08-29-2017, 11:32 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,102,516 times
Albuquerque good suggestion , mild winters , lower Cost of living.traffic is not too bad. Most apts have a pool for the hot summers .

Old 08-30-2017, 08:49 AM

14,115 posts, read 20,818,955 times
Unfortunately $14 an hour is not going to get you much out here.

Old 08-30-2017, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mettler View Post
eastern TN, western NC and SC. Not a lot of congestion, mild winters, nice fall colors, super friendly people and generally pretty cheap.
Thanks for the response! NC was actually my first choice. My only concern with NC is the flooding. I keep hearing about it on the news and I'd be devastated if I moved there only to have all my belongings destroyed.

I'm going to try and visit Charlotte. I've been to Durham and Raleigh and liked them both, but I've heard there has been a huge influx of transplants all over the state and there aren't many jobs. I would like to drive to Charlotte and see if it's a place I'd enjoy living, but so far the whole state is gorgeous, people are very kind and you've got all sorts of terrain to enjoy.

Old 08-30-2017, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Unfortunately $14 an hour is not going to get you much out here.
Thank you for being real with me. I don't want to get my hopes up. Maybe I could find a better paying job, but I don't have a specialized degree or anything so I'm not sure if I'd be able to land my dream job.

Old 08-30-2017, 02:51 PM

648 posts, read 1,658,074 times
it'll depend on what kind of job you are looking for. Raleigh-Durham is very tech orientated and it has a couple of very nice universities. It is also not too far from the beach. Charlotte is more banking and closer to the mtns. Yes, a lot of people moving both to NC and SC - its super cheap. SC has BMW close to the mtns and Boeing close to the beach. Plus, NSA just relocated to Augusta, GA. Augusta isn't bad, and if cyber security is your game that is a place to look. Thousands of people moving to Augusta due to the NSA relocating - the construction of homes and schools is out of control
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver