U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 06:30 AM

244 posts, read 226,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
This is really how some here think, ridiculously enough. No, you don't need to give up your appreciation for the Lone Star State (you might even find it growing stronger when you see such pettiness in action). Even if you don't outwardly show the appreciation, you can still treasure it inside. No one has banished the personal right and freedom of liking any particular state or region. Those who disagree apparently don't give a damn about freedoms and liberties in this country.
I think what was meant by that comment is when people move here from somewhere else and they constantly compare Denver and Colorado in general to where they are from. One gentleman I work with is from Texas and at least three times a day makes a comment about how Texas does something "better" than here. Same thing with a guy from Florida.

Then why did you leave?

It is totally fine to cherish aspects about where you moved from. Just don't constantly try and tell people why it is better than where you are now. If it was the end all, be all you wouldn't have moved (not that Denver is the end all be all in every way). If it is the end all be all, please, feel free to move back!

Every place has its pros and cons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2017, 06:38 AM

958 posts, read 514,899 times
You will be fine. If you really want to be around like minded people though you can always move to Douglas County.

Old 09-08-2017, 06:42 AM

16,859 posts, read 8,672,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by history nerd View Post
You will be fine. If you really want to be around like minded people though you can always move to Douglas County.
I lived in Douglas County in a very suburban setting, and found it to be very even politically. Of course, there were a lot of transplants, but still.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:32 AM

15 posts, read 18,760 times
All of these posts have been rally great. I'm more so a conservative Libertarian than a hardline GOP so it sounds like Denver (or at least Metro Denver will be a good fit). To those worried that I will constantly be comparing Colorado to Texas, the chances are very small, I wouldn't be moving to CO if I didn't want to and it's completely useless comparing the two. I do have to say that I am really looking forward to a change of scenery that isn't flat plains like Dallas, though I was surprised when I first visited Denver that Colorado has the same thing

Old 09-08-2017, 08:34 AM

15 posts, read 18,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
I did grow up in Texas, and we never recited a pledge to the Texas flag. That's a relatively new thing. My kids apparently have to do it, which was news to me. Personally, I think it's a bit silly. As far as the state pride thing, it can be beneficial sometimes. I have no doubt the "Don't Mess with Texas" attitude played into how well we handled Hurricane Harvey in Houston.

To the OP's original question, I'm a moderate Republican, and I never had any issues living in Denver. However, I don't think of Denver as being particularly liberal. In my mind, it has a lot more to do with local policies and requirements than citizens and/or the Mayor's and Council's political leanings. Denver does not have particularly intrusive rules and regs about building codes, trash collection, taxes on items to dictate behavior etc, so in that regard, I always felt like the "live and let live" attitude was far more pervasive in Denver, and that worked well for everyone.

Yea Texas pride does come in handy!

That's good to know. I've run into some particularly virulent liberals in Austin and it really left a bad taste in my mouth, so that could be why I am so worried about Denver bc I think it is going to be like Austin

Old 09-08-2017, 08:48 AM

13,228 posts, read 24,324,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrunner12 View Post

That's good to know. I've run into some particularly virulent liberals in Austin and it really left a bad taste in my mouth, so that could be why I am so worried about Denver bc I think it is going to be like Austin
Just stay out of the city. I've never been to Austin, but I would guess Denver's groupthink isn't as strong.

Old 09-08-2017, 09:37 AM

5,321 posts, read 2,759,690 times
Quote:

Virulent liberal OR conservative leaves a bad taste anywhere. The extremists are killing this country, tearing it apart bit by bit. "Divide and conquer"--so who is that will win? Hmmmm.

Don't worry about lots of virulents in the Denver area. As someone else said, if you don't plaster Trump bumper stickers all over your car (I am not talking just one sticker) or wear political T-shirts, don't talk on and on about politics, etc, nobody will bother you about your politics. Some people wear their politics like an armored shield. Most do not.

Old 09-08-2017, 12:39 PM

4,777 posts, read 2,928,487 times
Quote:

According to some, every major city in Texas is liberal.

Old 09-08-2017, 12:42 PM

9,349 posts, read 5,539,043 times
You'll be just fine! People are quite tolerant around here on both sides.

Old 09-08-2017, 12:51 PM

16,859 posts, read 8,672,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
According to some, every major city in Texas is liberal.
According to everyone. Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Austin, etc. Which larger cities are Democrat run? It's a cancer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver