Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 11:04 AM

15 posts, read 27,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Please don't accept the word of visitors to Denver as the most accurate response regarding what Denver is like. The city of Denver is liberal, not libertarian.

But most people are pretty live and let live and if you don't bring up politics and put pro-Conservative signs up and bumper stickers on your car, chances are that your political point of view will not be too much of an issue on a casual level.

However, given how divisive our current political climate is overall, it's possible that some people you meet on a social level may have very strong opinions that are the opposite of yours. What happens once that's clear will really depend on you and the other people. Some people have opinions but it's not something they feel so strongly about that it affects their daily life. Some people enjoy sparring (in a hopefully good natured way) with people of different opinions. And some people feel strongly enough about political events, particularly these days, that they might choose to not pursue a social relationship based on that.

Gotcha. Yea, the odds of me bringing up anything political unless I am asked is pretty much zero. I know when to keep my mouth shut. I more than likely will not be living in Denver proper, but rather Adams County or far southern Weld County, that's where my price-range seems to be.

I'm an Orthodox Christian and actually have a large group of friends from church here in Dallas that moved to the area, mostly around Erie, so I'd like to be semi close to them so I will at least know some people when I first move there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2017, 11:19 AM

1,795 posts, read 1,862,077 times
It is not like liberals are going to hunt you down if you are a conservative my parents were conservatives living in NYC in the 70s and 80s and they are fine, granted they were Jewish and religious and NYC has a lot of Jewish people you should still find your niche. They have conservatives in every city including NYC and SF they are more the fiscally conservative GOP than the Bible Belt GOP people but still.

Last edited by Vanderbiltgrad; 09-07-2017 at 11:35 AM..

Old 09-07-2017, 01:54 PM

13,824 posts, read 29,809,949 times
Outer ring, you'll be just fine. Particularly north of 120th Ave.

This liberal thinks Denver proper is too liberal. I find my neighborhood in NE Jefferson County to be too conservative, though the voters would have you believe we are moderate.

Just know that this place is either too normal, or so normal that it's weird, or weird intentionally for the sake of not being normal.

Old 09-07-2017, 07:00 PM

834 posts, read 738,251 times
Lots of conservatives in Adams county.....lots everywhere. Denver county, not so much. Many other places will be a decent mix. I've been a conservative (libertarian) and have been since I was a teen & so is most of my family. No one has ever cared....minus my 10th grade social studies teacher.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:31 PM

8,595 posts, read 14,778,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
This is really how some here think, ridiculously enough. No, you don't need to give up your appreciation for the Lone Star State (you might even find it growing stronger when you see such pettiness in action). Even if you don't outwardly show the appreciation, you can still treasure it inside. No one has banished the personal right and freedom of liking any particular state or region. Those who disagree apparently don't give a damn about freedoms and liberties in this country.

People often get irritated here if someone acts in a way different from traditional Coloradan ways. But that can be anything from having a Californian license plate, a New York accent, wearing different clothes, having a different accent, or being of a different race. Many hardcore natives and adoptees believe the state is exclusively theirs, almost like a private club, and they will wear that on their sleeve and as a chip on their shoulder. You'll get good at tuning out the nonsense and pettiness.
Texans would never, ever do anything close-minded and petty like pejoratively referring to northerners as yankees. Heard that one quite a bit when I lived there.

Texas is the only place I've ever lived where fixation with state pride is taken to damn near cult-like levels. Making my kids pledge allegiance to the US flag AND the Texas flag was laughably asinine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrunner12 View Post
Thanks for the advice lol. I am very proud of Texas, it's the best country in America! But, I'm not going to go around and flaunt it all of the time. I love Colorado from the times that I have been there, and the people actually remind me a lot of the people here in Texas. Granted most of that time has been in Granby/Crested Butte and other rural areas and not so much Metro Denver.

I'm in my mid-20's and really just hope I can find like-minded people to hang out with. That's part of the reason why I don't mid living in CO, everyone I have met there has been extremely chill which I like cause that's my same attitude.
As long as you don't run around constantly comparing Colorado to Texas or downgrading Colorado to prop up Texas nobody will give a rip. Colorado isn't Texas, and it never will be. FWIW, Thoreau lives in Fort Collins. It's not Denver. It'd be like living in Sherman or Gainesville and pretending you've got your finger on the pulse of Dallas.

Last edited by bluescreen73; 09-07-2017 at 09:49 PM..

Old 09-07-2017, 10:14 PM

74 posts, read 84,597 times
You should be fine. I'm politically neutral myself, I believe both parties are two sides of the same card. But really you shouldn't have an issue unless you meet one of the far left leaning transplants downtown. The worst they'll do is call you a hateful, racist, biggot conservative, then walk away pouting like a 4 year old. It's happened to me twice since the election but has never gone any farther.

Old 09-07-2017, 10:17 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,862,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jHolman91 View Post
You should be fine. I'm politically neutral myself, I believe both parties are two sides of the same card. But really you shouldn't have an issue unless you meet one of the far left leaning transplants downtown. The worst they'll do is call you a hateful, racist, biggot conservative, then walk away pouting like a 4 year old. It's happened to me twice since the election but has never gone any farther.
I am socially liberal but I don't listen to these people. Not everyone is a racist just because you are a GOP and vote solid red.

Old 09-07-2017, 10:27 PM

20,170 posts, read 24,251,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Texas is the only place I've ever lived where fixation with state pride is taken to damn near cult-like levels. Making my kids pledge allegiance to the US flag AND the Texas flag was laughably asinine.
Okay, now that's news to me. Now you've gotta recite the Texas pledge for us.

We're waiting....(tapping foot)

Old 09-07-2017, 10:29 PM

8,595 posts, read 14,778,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Okay, now that's news to me. Now you've gotta recite the Texas pledge for us.

We're waiting....(tapping foot)
I don't know it. I didn't grow up in Texas. Googled it though. Asked my kids if they remembered having to do it - all of them do.

"Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one state under God, one and indivisible."

Old 09-08-2017, 06:10 AM

5,843 posts, read 6,123,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
I don't know it. I didn't grow up in Texas. Googled it though. Asked my kids if they remembered having to do it - all of them do.

"Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one state under God, one and indivisible."
I did grow up in Texas, and we never recited a pledge to the Texas flag. That's a relatively new thing. My kids apparently have to do it, which was news to me. Personally, I think it's a bit silly. As far as the state pride thing, it can be beneficial sometimes. I have no doubt the "Don't Mess with Texas" attitude played into how well we handled Hurricane Harvey in Houston.

To the OP's original question, I'm a moderate Republican, and I never had any issues living in Denver. However, I don't think of Denver as being particularly liberal. In my mind, it has a lot more to do with local policies and requirements than citizens and/or the Mayor's and Council's political leanings. Denver does not have particularly intrusive rules and regs about building codes, trash collection, taxes on items to dictate behavior etc, so in that regard, I always felt like the "live and let live" attitude was far more pervasive in Denver, and that worked well for everyone.

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; 09-08-2017 at 06:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver