Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 11:16 PM

6,751 posts, read 5,054,508 times

Advertisements

Also, the trail around Harper Lake in Louisville is off limits to dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2017, 07:47 PM

264 posts, read 702,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
Heil Vally Ranch, just north of Boulder. Pets are not allowed on trails. I've never been, as we have dogs, so I can't say if it's well enforced.

Edit: Also Hall Ranch, and Caribou Ranch : https://www.bouldercounty.org/open-s...ks-and-trails/
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostSailor4326 View Post
OP, check out McClintock Trail lower and upper trail. There's no dogs allowed on this small stretch.

https://bouldercolorado.gov/osmp/dog...ations-by-area

Thanks for those suggestions. Not sure why I didn't think to look at the Boulder County website.

We are working on getting him over his fear, including having a dog sit in the room with him during behavior therapy. It seems to be getting better, but still a work in progress.

Old 09-22-2017, 06:06 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,381,194 times
Hall and Heil Ranches outside Lyons forbid dogs. Both beautiful areas with good hiking.

Old 09-24-2017, 11:56 AM

2,762 posts, read 3,185,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Red Road View Post
Unfortunately there are too many lazy dog owners out there, and it's the responsible dog owners that get penalized. The park service closed Elk Meadows dog park earlier this year because people simply weren't picking up after their animals. I can only imagine more closures and increasing restrictions as the population continues to grow, and that's a shame for the folks who have been responsible with their pets all along.

Evergreen dog park will likely close over health, safety and hundreds of pounds of dog poop – The Denver Post
Doesn't surprise me at all. Too many irresponsible dog owners.

I love dogs, have had several over the years, but even I am starting to despise dog owners. Too many off leash, on too long of a leash, won't pick up after their dog etc.......

Every week I pick dog poop up off my lawn. My neighbor put a gate in the back of her fence just for the sole reason to take her dog out of her own yard to let her dog poop in the common space and she doesn't clean it up. No matter what people say to these dog owners, they don't care at all.

I simply don't get it, how hard is it to use a proper leash, obey the rules and clean up after your dog????

If dog owners can't do that, we need to start revoking people's privilege to own a Dog.

Last edited by High Altitude; 09-24-2017 at 12:29 PM..

Old 09-25-2017, 09:32 AM

1,849 posts, read 1,808,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
Doesn't surprise me at all. Too many irresponsible dog owners.

I love dogs, have had several over the years, but even I am starting to despise dog owners. Too many off leash, on too long of a leash, won't pick up after their dog etc.......

Every week I pick dog poop up off my lawn. My neighbor put a gate in the back of her fence just for the sole reason to take her dog out of her own yard to let her dog poop in the common space and she doesn't clean it up. No matter what people say to these dog owners, they don't care at all.

I simply don't get it, how hard is it to use a proper leash, obey the rules and clean up after your dog????

If dog owners can't do that, we need to start revoking people's privilege to own a Dog.
I had another interesting episode last week - this time a dog owner in my apartment complex with two bags of garbage in his hand to throw out and his dog following him off leash. I give him a look that was like WTF and he barely paid any attention to me. His dog is one of the more aggressive ones in my complex.

The more I think about it, the more I think this is a problem with transplants being first time dog owners living in a new city and not caring.

Old 09-25-2017, 10:43 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,557,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
I had another interesting episode last week - this time a dog owner in my apartment complex with two bags of garbage in his hand to throw out and his dog following him off leash. I give him a look that was like WTF and he barely paid any attention to me. His dog is one of the more aggressive ones in my complex.

The more I think about it, the more I think this is a problem with transplants being first time dog owners living in a new city and not caring.
If he's just walking to the dumpster and the dog is staying right next to him, I think that's far less egregious than going on a trail without a leash......unless the dog is actually aggressive and chasing people.

Old 09-25-2017, 11:03 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,476,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
If he's just walking to the dumpster and the dog is staying right next to him, I think that's far less egregious than going on a trail without a leash......unless the dog is actually aggressive and chasing people.
Similarly, I think that's a lot different than taking your dog on a trail off leash and allowing them to roam around aggressively chasing people down. If the dog is being obedient or keeping to itself, I guess I don't understand the problem.

Old 09-25-2017, 12:27 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,902,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
Similarly, I think that's a lot different than taking your dog on a trail off leash and allowing them to roam around aggressively chasing people down. If the dog is being obedient or keeping to itself, I guess I don't understand the problem.
Dogs can be unpredictable, particularly in a new environment and/or when they get startled. Dogs should always be under the owner's control or in a controlled environment.

Old 09-25-2017, 12:39 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,808,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwgto View Post
Dogs can be unpredictable, particularly in a new environment and/or when they get startled. Dogs should always be under the owner's control or in a controlled environment.
This. I remember living in Hoboken, NJ in my early 20s and that city had some nice dog parks with metal fencing perimeters. Owners could hang out in there, or watch from outside as the dogs went wild. Fun to watch. But it's kind of bad news when your apartment complex in Denver is kind of like that.

Old 09-25-2017, 03:09 PM

6,751 posts, read 5,054,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
If he's just walking to the dumpster and the dog is staying right next to him, I think that's far less egregious than going on a trail without a leash......

Quite a lot of Boulder County trails allow off-leash dogs. Of course they are supposed to be under voice control, and the owner is required to get a tag for each dog and take a class. Point being, however, is that Boulder's not a good place to hike if one doesn't like to encounter dogs not on a leash. Head up to Estes Park, where there's exceedingly few trails in the area that allow dogs, leashed or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver