U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-28-2017, 02:02 PM
 
Location: In The Thin Air
12,223 posts, read 7,997,708 times
Reputation: 8875

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtloucks View Post
We did the same exact thing. Moved to Denver on the beliefs that what everyone spoke of it were true.
So disappointed. We made it exactly 1 year and left. Traffic is a nightmare, housing cost is outrageous, if you get to ever enjoy the outdoors its because you sucked up the 3 hours in a car to go do it. Marijuana everywhere. Sorry, i dont ant my sons to be exposed to it every place you turn. Any given day you can look over at the people driving next to you and see them toking. And when I see high school kids driving down the road sharing a pipe... makes me ill. Dispensaries in every strip mall. it is no loner a socially acceptable brand, it is a way of life there.

AS far as Denver being a western city... I think it has a sever cultural identity disorder. Technically it is in the midwest. Culturally they believe it is a western city. Some of that shows and some of it is just because so many people fro the west have moved in to stake claim they believe their own hype.

Denver is not even beautiful. The mountain town around it are what make Colorado great. Denver is a trendy hipster city trying to be progressive. It was a very odd and uneventful and un-ejoyable year spent there.

I know people will trash me for saying all that, but skim through the forum. You are not alone. many have tried denver and hated it equally ass much. Its a cool and it is not at the same time. But most importantly we did not see our children benefiting from living there as they did in places like DC or MN. Culture is an over used term in Denver and lacking in my opinion.

DC and Minneapolis have Culture. Denver has a bunch of people that claim culture and diversity because of what the city was built on .... doesnt translate to modern day at all.

Good luck and I hope it gets better for you.
Exaggerate much? The marijuana everywhere comment is silly. I don't think I have ever looked over to the car next to me and seen somebody smoking up. You made it sound like you saw it on a daily basis while driving. It is not a way of life either for most people.

I don't know why you brought up that it isn't western. That is an odd thing to say. It has always has been considered that as long as I can remember. We didn't just one day say we are western to try to be part of the cool crowd.

You seem like you have a very high opinion of yourself and I am guessing somebody in Denver called you out on it. Hey, Denver isn't for everybody, especially you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-28-2017, 02:05 PM
 
1,019 posts, read 1,097,330 times
Reputation: 678
The main thing I don't like about Denver :

" Bluecifer is a demonic blue horse that resides in a field outside the Denver airport. Some say the horse is cursed, while others say it’s plotting a stampede of neighboring Kansas. The most damning rumor is it may have given into the dark side, joined Galactic Empire, and has begun smoking cigarettes with a rough crowd. Be vigilant. "
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2017, 02:06 PM
 
Location: In The Thin Air
12,223 posts, read 7,997,708 times
Reputation: 8875
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilberry View Post
The main thing I don't like about Denver :

" Bluecifer is a demonic blue horse that resides in a field outside the Denver airport. Some say the horse is cursed, while others say itís plotting a stampede of neighboring Kansas. The most damning rumor is it may have given into the dark side, joined Galactic Empire, and has begun smoking cigarettes with a rough crowd. Be vigilant. "
It did kill its creator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2017, 02:10 PM
 
Location: Washington Park, Denver
6,892 posts, read 6,465,469 times
Reputation: 7346
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilberry View Post
The main thing I don't like about Denver :

" Bluecifer is a demonic blue horse that resides in a field outside the Denver airport. Some say the horse is cursed, while others say itís plotting a stampede of neighboring Kansas. The most damning rumor is it may have given into the dark side, joined Galactic Empire, and has begun smoking cigarettes with a rough crowd. Be vigilant. "
Do not speak ill of Blucifer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2017, 02:50 PM
 
Location: The North
5,065 posts, read 9,044,276 times
Reputation: 4033
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtloucks View Post
We did the same exact thing. Moved to Denver on the beliefs that what everyone spoke of it were true.
So disappointed. We made it exactly 1 year and left. Traffic is a nightmare, housing cost is outrageous, if you get to ever enjoy the outdoors its because you sucked up the 3 hours in a car to go do it. Marijuana everywhere. Sorry, i dont ant my sons to be exposed to it every place you turn. Any given day you can look over at the people driving next to you and see them toking. And when I see high school kids driving down the road sharing a pipe... makes me ill. Dispensaries in every strip mall. it is no loner a socially acceptable brand, it is a way of life there.

AS far as Denver being a western city... I think it has a sever cultural identity disorder. Technically it is in the midwest. Culturally they believe it is a western city. Some of that shows and some of it is just because so many people fro the west have moved in to stake claim they believe their own hype.

Denver is not even beautiful. The mountain town around it are what make Colorado great. Denver is a trendy hipster city trying to be progressive. It was a very odd and uneventful and un-ejoyable year spent there.

I know people will trash me for saying all that, but skim through the forum. You are not alone. many have tried denver and hated it equally ass much. Its a cool and it is not at the same time. But most importantly we did not see our children benefiting from living there as they did in places like DC or MN. Culture is an over used term in Denver and lacking in my opinion.

DC and Minneapolis have Culture. Denver has a bunch of people that claim culture and diversity because of what the city was built on .... doesnt translate to modern day at all.

Good luck and I hope it gets better for you.
Its good we get the negative comments here. It stops people from making the mistake of moving here without knowing what things are really like. It just amazes me you and countless others didn't do enough research to figure these things out before you came. The internet wasn't just invented after all.

If people don't like a place, they should move. People here should give honest opinions of a city, but really these rants about how terrible a place is are a waste. So are the valiant defense efforts by some in a lot of these forums to defend a city as if saying something negative about their city is a personal affront to them. No place is perfect, everywhere has its good and bad. The 3 million or so that live in Denver-Boulder and the nearly 5 million who live in the Front Range region have mostly come to terms with the bad that comes from such density and decide to stay put. If one doesn't want to look past the issues and leave I really don't get why anyone should tell them to stay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2017, 03:38 PM
 
4,618 posts, read 1,305,927 times
Reputation: 2900
I know a lot of people enjoy living in cities, but I cannot imagine moving to a beautiful state like Colorado and choosing to live in Denver. Of course, some people don't have a choice with employment, but it is a city and a mostly newer one at that, which brings all the things associated with cities-sprawl, traffic, stress, etc.

In general, I would recommend one of the smaller Front Range cities. We live in Loveland and enjoy the Fort Collins/Loveland area. The area is large enough to provide all the necessary conveniences of modern life one can find in a large city, yet small enough to provide ease of living. One is still close to the mountains and all the outdoor recreation one could want with the exception of being farther from the ski resorts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2017, 04:17 PM
 
Location: Washington Park, Denver
6,892 posts, read 6,465,469 times
Reputation: 7346
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
I know a lot of people enjoy living in cities, but I cannot imagine moving to a beautiful state like Colorado and choosing to live in Denver. Of course, some people don't have a choice with employment, but it is a city and a mostly newer one at that, which brings all the things associated with cities-sprawl, traffic, stress, etc.

In general, I would recommend one of the smaller Front Range cities. We live in Loveland and enjoy the Fort Collins/Loveland area. The area is large enough to provide all the necessary conveniences of modern life one can find in a large city, yet small enough to provide ease of living. One is still close to the mountains and all the outdoor recreation one could want with the exception of being farther from the ski resorts.
This is why we always tell people to live near work. My neighborhood may as well be a small town. I don't need to leave it. It's walkable and it's a short 10 minute drive or 20ish minute bike ride to downtown Denver if I want to go there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2017, 04:28 PM
 
Location: Sweet Home Chicago!
5,129 posts, read 3,653,488 times
Reputation: 5958
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Pot isn't legal in Chicago, but when I went there for training in July (inside the loop) I smelled it every. single. day. The MJ issue is vastly overblown.
It's decriminalized in Illinois to an extent. 10g's or less gets you a slap on the wrist (small fine with no record or possible jail time).

I like Denver, but I like Chicago more. I would never move cross country without thoroughly checking out the city/area first so sounds like a lesson was learned the hard way by rtloucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2017, 05:54 PM
 
Location: Denver CO
20,766 posts, read 11,519,071 times
Reputation: 31336
I like Chicago a lot, and there are certainly things about it that I like better than Denver. But Denver weather wins hands down!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2017, 07:44 PM
 
2,478 posts, read 4,841,695 times
Reputation: 4483
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtloucks View Post
We did the same exact thing. Moved to Denver on the beliefs that what everyone spoke of it were true.
So disappointed. We made it exactly 1 year and left. Traffic is a nightmare, housing cost is outrageous, if you get to ever enjoy the outdoors its because you sucked up the 3 hours in a car to go do it. Marijuana everywhere. Sorry, i dont ant my sons to be exposed to it every place you turn. Any given day you can look over at the people driving next to you and see them toking. And when I see high school kids driving down the road sharing a pipe... makes me ill. Dispensaries in every strip mall. it is no loner a socially acceptable brand, it is a way of life there.

AS far as Denver being a western city... I think it has a sever cultural identity disorder. Technically it is in the midwest. Culturally they believe it is a western city. Some of that shows and some of it is just because so many people fro the west have moved in to stake claim they believe their own hype.

Denver is not even beautiful. The mountain town around it are what make Colorado great. Denver is a trendy hipster city trying to be progressive. It was a very odd and uneventful and un-ejoyable year spent there.

I know people will trash me for saying all that, but skim through the forum. You are not alone. many have tried denver and hated it equally ass much. Its a cool and it is not at the same time. But most importantly we did not see our children benefiting from living there as they did in places like DC or MN. Culture is an over used term in Denver and lacking in my opinion.

DC and Minneapolis have Culture. Denver has a bunch of people that claim culture and diversity because of what the city was built on .... doesnt translate to modern day at all.

Good luck and I hope it gets better for you.
This post is hilarious. All it needs is unicorns and bigfoot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top