Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 03:31 PM

5 posts, read 5,670 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I just received a job offer in Westminster, and I'll be moving there in the next few weeks. I need help on finding the right place to live. I plan on staying at my brother's place as I look for a home to purchase.

About me: Professional, 32, married with no kids, two-earner household. Ideally I want a short commute, and by bike if possible although that's not a deal-breaker. I'm also not terribly familiar with the metro in Denver, so that could open up some options. My husband will likely be teaching at UC Denver.

I'm looking for:
-A single-family home, ideally under 300k.
-Walkability and a cool neighborhood vibe. (I'm using walkscore.com)
-Downtown accessibility.
-Outdoor access: nearby parks/trails would be awesome.
-A neighborhood where we're not the only couple without kids...

I'm currently looking at:
Wheat Ridge/Edgewater.
Westminster/Federal Heights.
Arvada.
Highland.
Wash Park/Platte Park/Cap Hill/Downtown (I might consider a town-home since the cost is so high).
I'm avoiding areas that look rather rough like Thornton, Commerce City, and Colfax Ave.

Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 03:54 PM

7,515 posts, read 13,621,554 times
Where in Westy is the job ? Could make a difference on commute. Town is kinda spread out, 11 miles N to S.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/We...4d-105.0372046

Last edited by reed303; 08-27-2017 at 03:55 PM.. Reason: map

Old 08-27-2017, 03:55 PM

15 posts, read 24,062 times
I recommend taking a look at Brighton. Lots of affordable options in that area and it's quite close to Westminster. There are a few townhouse in Westminster for around $300k but not many, and Broomfield gets even tougher. Most the single family homes in that price range generally need updating and are in the "up and coming" parts of town.

With townhomes just be sure to check HOA regulations on pets and future use--some may not allow renting it out, having grills, etc.

Old 08-27-2017, 05:37 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,557,632 times
I like Wheatridge and Edgewater area.
There are no town homes in Wash Park for $300K.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 08-27-2017 at 06:27 PM..

Old 08-27-2017, 07:01 PM

5 posts, read 5,670 times
The job is in Westminster City Hall, which is on the south side of the city. That said, I am looking at the Denver side of Westminster anyways as my husband will likely work in downtown Denver. I think Brighton and Broomfield would be farther north (of Denver) than I am looking for.

I also really like the Wheat Ridge area - it has a pleasant feel to it. I know I'm being overly optimistic on Wash Park, but I can dream, right?

Old 08-27-2017, 07:50 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderRocks View Post
I recommend taking a look at Brighton. Lots of affordable options in that area and it's quite close to Westminster. There are a few townhouse in Westminster for around $300k but not many, and Broomfield gets even tougher. Most the single family homes in that price range generally need updating and are in the "up and coming" parts of town.

With townhomes just be sure to check HOA regulations on pets and future use--some may not allow renting it out, having grills, etc.
It is 25-30 min, 21-26 miles from the Westy City Hall to Brighton (no address put in), depending on route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
I like Wheatridge and Edgewater area.
There are no town homes in Wash Park for $300K.
If the OP wants to avoid "rough", that eliminates most of Edgewater and some of Wheat Ridge.

Old 08-27-2017, 07:54 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Your desired budget and your wish list do not align. Figure out which one you plan to adjust.

Old 08-27-2017, 08:37 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Up your budget to $500+K and you will find something.
Not in my great neighborhood though.

Old 08-28-2017, 09:37 AM

401 posts, read 487,309 times
There are many nice parts of Westminster but most of these will be more than your $300,000 budget and these days that would include a nice townhome.

You may want to look into the older neighborhoods of Arvada that surround Olde Town, every now and then you can still pick up a bargain there.

Northglenn and Thornton would also be good places that would fit your budget and you would get more home for your money. There is really no super rough part of Thornton although there are older parts that may be less desirable, usually South of 104th, however, there are lots of new builds going up in that area too so these areas may change for the better with new infrastructure going in. I would say Federal Heights is much rougher than Thornton and Northglenn, although Federal Heights is quite cheap compared to other areas (many of the homes are manufactured homes though).

Edgewater is getting pricey too, it is one of those neighborhoods that has changed as new businesses have come in and prices have gone up.

Old 08-28-2017, 10:20 AM

834 posts, read 744,242 times
Thornton is not rather rough, even the trailer courts. It's all pretty comparable in terms of, "roughness," for the areas you've posted.

And I don't think anyone can give you realistic suggestions for a SFH until you up your budget. Under $300k and maybe you'll be able to find something that will most likely not be what you expected or where you want.

I think once you're here at your brothers place it'll be easier for you to get a feel for the areas and streamline your list and bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver