Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 08:04 AM

18 posts, read 22,908 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I am a person who's never lived where it snows regularly. I have a 3 PM flight leaving Denver on Monday. My only experience in driving in winter conditions was in 1988 and I slid into the back of another car on the way to get brownie mix.

That said, I am from Florida and have been through many EXTREME STORM WARNINGS and had to pick up one broken branch in my yard as clean up. So should I be concerned about:

1. Ability to get to an 8:30AM in the Denver Tech Center (coming from Greenwood) on Monday, and then

2. Leaving for airport at 12:30 PM

And yes, I am that person you don't want on the roads because I have no idea how to drive in snow/ice.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2017, 08:11 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,036,105 times
In my experience with driving in snow/ice, there are two real key strategies to it:

1. Keep a TON of distance between you and the person in front of you.
2. Drive slowly. It will take you longer to get where you need to go, but much better to arrive safely than to get into an accident.

There are obviously many other things you can do, but I think most of the accidents with snow and ice are related to failure to adhere to either or both of the above strategies.

Old 10-08-2017, 08:15 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,166,868 times
You may even get lucky as it may not stick to the roads this time. Its pretty warm today (supposed to get into mid 70's) and will take a while for the roads and ground to get cold.

Last edited by beezle1; 10-08-2017 at 08:24 AM..

Old 10-08-2017, 08:51 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,557,632 times
I would expect that the roads will be significantly more slippery in the morning. Leave extra time for that commute. By 1 it should be smooth sailing for your drive to the airport.

Old 10-08-2017, 09:05 AM

834 posts, read 744,242 times
Do you have snow tires? Or at least AS tires with decent tread left? Make sure your wiper blades are ready too!

When I was in driving class they'd throw you into a skid and tell you, feet off the gas and brakes and then steer in the direction that you want to go, not in the direction of the skid.

I always err on the side of caution and go slow and steady on the right. If people want to pass me and go faster, that's great for them. I've been on the highway several times where the ones blazing past have ended up in a ditch though not 5 miles down the road.

Old 10-08-2017, 09:09 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times
The storm might amount to very little, but here's something you should know:

The white snow isn't the most dangerous stuff. Ice--sometimes invisibly thin and slick--is what is treacherous. You think the road is clear but ARRRRGGGHHHHH I'm sliiiiiiiiiiding!

Do not EVER get complacent about road conditions.

Old 10-08-2017, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdefg567 View Post
Do you have snow tires? Or at least AS tires with decent tread left? Make sure your wiper blades are ready too!

When I was in driving class they'd throw you into a skid and tell you, feet off the gas and brakes and then steer in the direction that you want to go, not in the direction of the skid.

I always err on the side of caution and go slow and steady on the right. If people want to pass me and go faster, that's great for them. I've been on the highway several times where the ones blazing past have ended up in a ditch though not 5 miles down the road.
I’m assuming she’s in a rental car so decent tread all season tires.

Old 10-08-2017, 12:28 PM

3,127 posts, read 5,052,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdefg567 View Post
I think you are misremembering. You want to steer into the skid.

https://www.defensivedriving.com/saf...out-of-a-skid/

How to control a skidding car - Skid control tutorial

Old 10-08-2017, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
I’ve taken several ice clinics and raced on Georgetown a few times. I think “steer where you want to go” is the right advice.

Quote:
Forest Duplessis is the head instructor at DirtFish Rally School in Snoqualmie, Wash. We've all heard that you should "steer into the skid," which Duplessis says sounds simple, but the problem is that people turn the wrong way.

Say you're going around a turn to the right, and your back end starts to come around too far. This is called oversteer,by the way. The nose of your car is now pointed too far to the right, right? What you need to do is countersteer to bring the car back to the direction you were trying to go in the first place. In this case, you need to point the car a bit to the left to keep it in the street and not on the sidewalk.

Duplessis says the first step is to look where you want to go, and then make sure your hands agree with your eyes. If you need to make a little adjustment to the left, as in our example, then look a little to the left, where you would like your car to be. "The movement is quick and smooth," Duplessis notes. "It's smaller than most people would think."
Skidding -- and Not Skidding -- Rally Car Style - How to Steer Out of a Skid | HowStuffWorks

Old 10-08-2017, 02:04 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,888,798 times
Regaining control in a skid also depends on the architecture of your drivetrain. Front-wheel drive cars do not behave the same as rear-wheel or all-wheel drive cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver