Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2008, 08:13 AM

4 posts, read 6,492 times

Advertisements

I will graduate college in May, and hope to have secured a sub-leaser by then for my apartment here. I hoping to move to Denver possibly June or July 1st. I am looking into starting the Art Institute's Culinary program in October and have been told that the DU, Washington Park, Englewood areas are nice.

I'm 25 and want to be near the scene, but able to walk to places. I still want that urban/trendy feel not the suburbs. Pet-friendly place is a must since I plan on getting a lab out there. Close to a light-rail would be a plus but I'll have my vehicle.

What are some places I should look into? I have a list of apartments that was given to me by the Culinary school..but most are Capitol Hill area and I don't want to live there.

What is the Washington Park area?..what streets should I look for?

Any other suggestions will more than welcomed!

Sarah
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 08:48 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
I think there is a list of Denver neighborhoods in this index. If not, look up "Denver" in Wikipedia. They have a list and a map. I am a big fan of the DU area, which meets most all your criteria. The "pet-friendly" places are a case by case basis. Get a letter from your current landlord that you are a good pet-owner.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:42 PM

53 posts, read 196,867 times
Hey Sarah - I'm also looking into moving out to Denver this summer to start culinary classes at the Art Institute in July! I went out to visit about a week and a half ago and found that the Washington Park area is probably the closest to the culinary location. Some parts of Capitol Hill looked ok, but I would focus your attention on Washington Park and maybe some places close to the Cherry Creek Mall which seemed to have a lot of newer apartments (just from driving by). I didn't get to check out the light rail too much while I was out there, but it's a very quick drive to almost everywhere. I remember seeing the light rail station near the school, however, and it's probably only a 5-10 minute walk although there is ample parking at the school. Also, I didn't get a chance to check out the DU area, but Englewood seems more suburban than the rest of the areas.

As far as good maps, I would go to Google maps, type in Denver and zoom in and around to get a feel for where everything is. Washington park is to the south. Most of the younger "trendy" areas, from what I've read on these forums, is to the south of the main city area (the area with all the diagonal streets), not north or east for the most part. You might want to also consider Lodo, the very trendy, but higher priced (depending where you're coming from) area in the center of the city. They have lots of bars, restaurants, and stores within walking distance. Not too sure about their pet-friendly status, I guess it would depend on the apartment's landlord.

Sorry if my response is a little all over the place, but I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions regarding the school itself since I went for a brief tour there as well.

Old 03-20-2008, 12:08 PM

4 posts, read 6,492 times
Default thank you!!

Wow! Small world! Thanks for all the info. LoDo would be great, but it is too rich for my blood. I pay $659 for a 1 BR/BA right now..so something around that would be good with me. We just missed each other; I was just out in Denver and did a tour of the Culinary school as well last week as a matter of fact.

Guess I'll meet you in Culinary one day. I am zero-ing in Wash. Park and near Cherry Creek Mall..but that might be too much temptation for me..I love to shop and I hear that has everything I love there, but I'm sure I'll find it eventually.

Thanks again & take care! Happy Easter:

Old 03-21-2008, 10:13 AM

53 posts, read 196,867 times
Crazy that we were both out there around the same time, but I'm sure I'll meet you when you start classes in October! Good luck with the apartment searching and Happy Easter to you too

Old 03-21-2008, 11:22 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Wash Park may be too rich for your blood, too. But of course, look around. It's a nice neighborhood. I understand most of the rentals are on the west side of the park. I like the neighborhood around DU. My DD has an apt there for $650, 2 BR, 1 Bath, parking spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: