U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 03:45 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,195,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianmedia View Post
I know it's to each his own TEHO, but I lived in Midtown Sac, and doesn't even come close. when did you visit Denver? Just between the 2 areas you mentioned there's probably 50+ restaurants, not to mention the adjacent areas that are 5 min away by car. According to local news 220 new restaurants opened in Denver in 2016 with the pace from the previous 2 years even higher.

Add that to Denver being the fastest growing large city in the US and I think there are a couple hundred restaurants you missed
Thereís prob 30-40 restaurants on Broadway ST alone here, but would consider that a place to be? I didnít see much and I went up and down, in and around that entire area of Denver. I am not here to knock it, as I think itís an awsome city and Iíd like to visit again. Just didnít see much in that regard. I was there 5 yrs ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2017, 03:47 PM

122 posts, read 124,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacite View Post
I was in Denver 5 yrs ago.
Honestly this may be why. I've only lived here since April from from everyone i've talked to this boom has been biggest in last 3-4yrs. i.e. just in the last 6 months there's been 8 restaurants open within 5 min walk from my 280 unit high-rise (which wasn't even here 3yrs ago). I think you'd be shocked at what's all new here since 2012.

When was the Trulia data? I can only find it from 2012.

Even though i enjoyed living in Sacramento, it felt very small compared to Denver. Also i would never choose to live there if I had the choice. I was there for my job.

Old 11-07-2017, 03:52 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,195,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianmedia View Post
Honestly this may be why. I've only lived here since April from from everyone i've talked to this boom has been biggest in last 3-4yrs. i.e. just in the last 6 months there's been 8 restaurants open within 5 min walk from my 280 unit high-rise (which wasn't even here 3yrs ago). I think you'd be shocked at what's all new here since 2012.

When was the Trulia data? I can only find it from 2012.

Even though i enjoyed living in Sacramento, it felt very small compared to Denver. Also i would never choose to live there if I had the choice. I was there for my job.
I am not saying you are wrong, but thereís this too- Study ranks Denver top city for affordable restaurants; 18th foodie city overall — The Know from The Denver Post

I agree, Denver looks like it is booming. So it may have significantly more than Sac and a lot of cities now. Apparently you may also get a 90 story condo building. I actually randomly bought a ticket literally in one day when I went, because it was one of my favorite childhood cities.

Old 11-08-2017, 08:52 AM

3,107 posts, read 6,474,876 times
Looks like we moved here at the same time. My main point of reference is Texas cities, and I'd agree that Denver feels larger and much more vibrant than metros of a similar size. You get a lot of the amenities and vibe of large cities without much of the headache. It's really embraced the growth and transformed its core, for better or for worse, and I was taken aback at how dense and new the development in the core is. IMHO, a lot of it feels generic, but all new development needs time to develop character. I think Denver could do more to embrace its unique regional culture as well, but I get that that is likely hindered by all of us transplants.

We also have the same impression of the drivers being terrible, and I've personally never seen so many red light runners (along with tailgaters and people who don't know how to take turns).

Old 11-08-2017, 09:28 AM

12,250 posts, read 8,036,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
Looks like we moved here at the same time. My main point of reference is Texas cities, and I'd agree that Denver feels larger and much more vibrant than metros of a similar size. You get a lot of the amenities and vibe of large cities without much of the headache. It's really embraced the growth and transformed its core, for better or for worse, and I was taken aback at how dense and new the development in the core is. IMHO, a lot of it feels generic, but all new development needs time to develop character. I think Denver could do more to embrace its unique regional culture as well, but I get that that is likely hindered by all of us transplants.

We also have the same impression of the drivers being terrible, and I've personally never seen so many red light runners (along with tailgaters and people who don't know how to take turns).
I couldn't agree more. The left turn yield green light is terrible. When it turns yellow and then red you will probably see 5 or 6 cars run it. If you don't go when it is yellow you will get honked at.

Old 11-08-2017, 09:44 AM

6,904 posts, read 6,496,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
I couldn't agree more. The left turn yield green light is terrible. When it turns yellow and then red you will probably see 5 or 6 cars run it. If you don't go when it is yellow you will get honked at.
Itís funny because I am in vegas almost weekly and feel like it is much worse. Their extra long yellow light cycles seem to encourage this behavior.

Old 11-08-2017, 10:43 AM

12,250 posts, read 8,036,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Itís funny because I am in vegas almost weekly and feel like it is much worse. Their extra long yellow light cycles seem to encourage this behavior.
Vegas is the epitome of a transient city. Not only do they have drivers from around the country, they also get them from around the world.

Old 11-08-2017, 01:33 PM

122 posts, read 124,801 times
Funny thing is I NEVER see anyone get pulled over for running reds here, even with cops around.

I saw a bicyclist being given a ticket by a motorcycle cop while 2 people ran red lights at the intersection they were at (18th & Wynkoop)

Old 11-08-2017, 04:29 PM

1,345 posts, read 3,222,441 times
Glad you're enjoying living here, Brian. I work (16th/Wewatta) very near to where you live and I can attest to all of the changes that have happened in this part of downtown in just the past 5 years or so.. it's incredible. Most of what's along Wewatta and Chestnut between 15th and Park/23rd (boundaries are kind of odd in this area) wasn't even imagined yet and Union Station was still a ghostly shell - it reopened as it is now in 2014. As a Denver native (yes, something I am proud of) and a daily commuter from the northern suburbs to downtown for 18 years now, I've enjoyed watching the city evolve through the years into what it is today. I am also looking forward to seeing what it will become - there is a lot of excitement for the future here and people I chat with generally seem keen on it. I don't always care for the architecture of the new construction - I think there is a distinct lack of character - but then I'd rather see new construction and a booming population than a wasteland of "been there, done that".

Another great thing about the development is that Denver has brought major grocery chain players into the downtown market; something you don't often see in cities of similar size. King Soopers opened during the summer of 2015 and Whole Foods is setting itself up to open on November 15, 2017. A new CVS is also opening along Wewatta between the two stores, along with numerous restaurants already opened.

While I love living away from the hustle and bustle of the downtown area in my quiet suburban neighborhood, working down here is a lot of fun and I really enjoy seeing new people move in and enjoy the city I've always considered my home. There's an exciting feeling to this city and I'm glad I'm still here to experience it.

Old 11-08-2017, 11:24 PM

4,808 posts, read 4,955,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norrov View Post
Thanks for the thread.

I love Denver but my girlfriend wants to move to SoCal in 5-10 years. I’m pretty dead set on staying here but told her I may consider Sac or one of the surrounding suburbs. Seems like there’s more outdoor things to do there. I’m not a huge fan of the beach/Ocean anyway.

Did you enjoy your time in Sacramento?
I personally enjoy Sacramento quite a bit. I think it has more outdoor things to do than Denver and better weather to do them in. Within 1/2 hour East you are in mountains and under 2 hours you are in 9,000-11,000 foot mountains - Sierra Nevadas. If you go West you have Coastal mountains, Redwood forests,rugged ocean beaches, SF Bay. Within Sacramento itself you have a lot more fresh water recreation than Denver: The American River runs through the heart of the Sacramento Metro, plus you have the Sacramento River and a large lake: Folsom Lake, and the Sacramento Delta.

Sacramento has an active vibrant arts scene, community theater and visual arts. That earlier posting shows it is a higher rated "foodie" city than Denver which makes sense as Sacramento is surrounded by hundreds of small farms, orchards, wineries.

Fresh Farmers markets are abundant within the city and suburban cities/towns, and the beer and coffee scene is pretty impressive.

Sacramento has a steady moderate growth rate, higher education attainment than many part of Southern Cal, better quality of life, housing costs as much as 1/2 the price of Southen Cal.

Sacramento has it own brand of California apart from SoCal and the Bay Area. It is definitely underrated and deserves more attention.

I like Denver as it rates very high with jobs, education, and its growth is impressive, but it lacks something a certain soul that you find it other cities that rate really high. For all that it has going for it never gives you that wow feeling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver