U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 11-20-2017, 09:44 PM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
2,567 posts, read 1,829,666 times
Reputation: 2672

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianmedia View Post
Another observation I've just had...

The left turn signals at major intersections here are terrible. At least most of the ones i've encountered. They give you like 3-4 seconds to go then turn red, add that to the fact that some people aren't paying attention, so maybe 2-3 cars get thru.

Has anyone else experienced this?
I've noticed the same thing, however, not at all intersections. I suspect some of the intersections have traffic volume sensors for the left turn lane that tells the signal to allow more left-hand turns. Probably many still don't have this technology installed.

Another oddity in Denver: the left turn signal that blinks yellow. It's effective and I understand it's intent--I just haven't seen it in any other city.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-20-2017, 09:54 PM
 
Location: The Berk in Denver, CO USA
14,025 posts, read 20,336,588 times
Reputation: 22744
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
Another oddity in Denver: the left turn signal that blinks yellow. It's effective and I understand it's intent--I just haven't seen it in any other city.
Really?
The first one I ever noticed was in Lakewood on Wadsworth.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2017, 07:00 AM
 
1,571 posts, read 2,834,354 times
Reputation: 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Really?
The first one I ever noticed was in Lakewood on Wadsworth.
It's only been that way in Lakewood for the last 6 months or so. I think it's a good idea, like right turn on red. Why just sit there spewing poison into the atmosphere if it's clear and you can be on your way...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2017, 08:36 AM
 
Location: Born & Raised DC > Carolinas > Seattle > Denver
9,349 posts, read 5,564,600 times
Reputation: 9446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianmedia View Post
Another observation I've just had...

The left turn signals at major intersections here are terrible. At least most of the ones i've encountered. They give you like 3-4 seconds to go then turn red, add that to the fact that some people aren't paying attention, so maybe 2-3 cars get thru.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Had to quote this. It's horrific.

I turn left from Broadway onto I-25 south every day, and holy crap

I think it was sometime last week or the week before. But I turned left just as the light went from yellow to red....technically, I ran the red light. And not one, not two, but three cars behind me went. What the hell!?

You have to really pay attention to the drivers around you while on the road here in the Denver metro. So many bad drivers out there.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2017, 10:08 AM
 
540 posts, read 260,410 times
Reputation: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
... some of the intersections have traffic volume sensors for the left turn lane that tells the signal to allow more left-hand turns. Probably...
you really think those sensor still work? Likely 90% are dead.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2017, 11:04 AM
 
Location: Denver via Austin
3,113 posts, read 6,495,871 times
Reputation: 3526
Quote:
Originally Posted by daprara View Post
you really think those sensor still work? Likely 90% are dead.
You're right. A lot of sensors are deactivated and broken. CDOT roads tend to have craptastic signal timing.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2017, 11:57 AM
 
Location: In The Thin Air
12,279 posts, read 8,086,073 times
Reputation: 8917
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
Had to quote this. It's horrific.

I turn left from Broadway onto I-25 south every day, and holy crap

I think it was sometime last week or the week before. But I turned left just as the light went from yellow to red....technically, I ran the red light. And not one, not two, but three cars behind me went. What the hell!?

You have to really pay attention to the drivers around you while on the road here in the Denver metro. So many bad drivers out there.
That is pretty much every light in the metro area. Lots of accidents happen because of it. I wish they would do away with left turn yield green and just make the arrow longer to let more cars through.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2017, 06:59 PM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
2,567 posts, read 1,829,666 times
Reputation: 2672
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Really?
The first one I ever noticed was in Lakewood on Wadsworth.
You probably didn't notice that I live in Phoenix. We don't have blinking yellow left turn signals here
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2017, 07:06 PM
 
Location: Location: Happy Place
3,688 posts, read 1,867,595 times
Reputation: 11301
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Yet you rave about Dallas. Having lived in both, Dallas takes snobbery to a whole different level. I lived next to a burb where people would judge you based on stupid s&^% like your zip code and whether or not your driveway was in front of or behind your effing house. The level to which people will swing their d&^%s around to out-do each other down there is ridiculous.
^^^^^this^^^^

is why I love Fort Worth.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2017, 07:24 PM
 
Location: The Berk in Denver, CO USA
14,025 posts, read 20,336,588 times
Reputation: 22744
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
You probably didn't notice that I live in Phoenix. We don't have blinking yellow left turn signals here
Oh, I noticed.
I was mocking your use of “Denver” instead of properly writing “greater Denver”.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top