Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 09:29 PM

170 posts, read 241,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacite View Post
I visited Denver (and live in Sac now) and really liked it. Mountains, the skyline mixed among the high planes, old west architecture was great. That said, I didn’t see any of what you are talking about in tems of restaursnts and nightlife. Downtown had one street, 16th I believe, and a tiny restaurant district just up from Coors Field. Great town, and I’d have to live there to really see what it has to offer, but I honestly think Sac has as much going as Denver in terms of the thngs you named. In fact, I think Sac’s restaurant scene is quite a but better.
I know it's to each his own TEHO, but I lived in Midtown Sac, and doesn't even come close. when did you visit Denver? Just between the 2 areas you mentioned there's probably 50+ restaurants, not to mention the adjacent areas that are 5 min away by car. According to local news 220 new restaurants opened in Denver in 2016 with the pace from the previous 2 years even higher.

Add that to Denver being the fastest growing large city in the US and I think there are a couple hundred restaurants you missed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2017, 10:24 PM

242 posts, read 250,995 times
Thanks for the thread.

I love Denver but my girlfriend wants to move to SoCal in 5-10 years. I’m pretty dead set on staying here but told her I may consider Sac or one of the surrounding suburbs. Seems like there’s more outdoor things to do there. I’m not a huge fan of the beach/Ocean anyway.

Did you enjoy your time in Sacramento?

Old 11-06-2017, 11:26 PM

170 posts, read 241,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norrov View Post
Thanks for the thread.

I love Denver but my girlfriend wants to move to SoCal in 5-10 years. I’m pretty dead set on staying here but told her I may consider Sac or one of the surrounding suburbs. Seems like there’s more outdoor things to do there. I’m not a huge fan of the beach/Ocean anyway.

Sacramento was enjoyable. The thing i loved about it was it was so close to a ton of places, like Lake Tahoe, Napa, San Francisco. i'm not sure i'd say there's more outdoor things to do there vs here.

Old 11-07-2017, 07:32 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,721,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianmedia View Post
Sacramento was enjoyable. The thing i loved about it was it was so close to a ton of places, like Lake Tahoe, Napa, San Francisco. i'm not sure i'd say there's more outdoor things to do there vs here.
If there is a knock against Denver it's that its location isolates it far from other major cities, according to some people. However, if I were to move there I think that could be overcome by utilizing that awesome airport.

Old 11-07-2017, 08:46 AM

1,517 posts, read 1,664,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
If there is a knock against Denver it's that its location isolates it far from other major cities, according to some people. However, if I were to move there I think that could be overcome by utilizing that awesome airport.

^^This and the assumption that Denver lacks diversity, particularly African Americans.

Old 11-07-2017, 11:56 AM

1,849 posts, read 1,807,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norrov View Post
Thanks for the thread.

Yuck - "Sactown" as they call it. She's better off in SoCal by a long shot.

I was in Denver for a total of 1.7 years. It's got a lot of great things going for it with it's generally nice weather, diverse neighborhoods, restaurants, museums etc. Gentrification is happening rapidly compared to other areas I've lived and visited.

BUT I'm sorry, Denver cannot compete with larger cities like Dallas, L.A., NYC based on size of metro area alone. It has all the amenities of big city living, but it's a size and population matter. Sometimes living in Denver itself felt like living in a big college town of late 20s / early 30s kids. And it's rare to find people that are super career oriented like on the coasts.

Denver has it's fair share of drawbacks: the homeless population, construction, traffic, awful drivers etc. I do find that Denver attracts snobbery and some of the transplants are awkward or weird compared to other cities I've lived in.

Old 11-07-2017, 12:06 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,611,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post

I was in Denver for a total of 1.7 years. It's got a lot of great things going for it with it's generally nice weather, diverse neighborhoods, restaurants, museums etc. Gentrification is happening rapidly compared to other areas I've lived and visited.

BUT I'm sorry, Denver cannot compete with larger cities like Dallas, L.A., NYC based on size of metro area alone. It has all the amenities of big city living, but it's a size and population matter. Sometimes living in Denver itself felt like living in a big college town of late 20s / early 30s kids. And it's rare to find people that are super career oriented like on the coasts.

Denver has it's fair share of drawbacks: the homeless population, construction, traffic, awful drivers etc. I do find that Denver attracts snobbery and some of the transplants are awkward or weird compared to other cities I've lived in.
Everything in the bold can be found in Los Angeles with the exception of the transplants.

Sacramento isn't as bad as you make it out to be. Because you belong in SoCal doesn't necessarily mean everybody else does.

Your posts are very humorous which I am sure is not your intention.

Old 11-07-2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
Everything in the bold can be found in Los Angeles with the exception of the transplants.

Sacramento isn't as bad as you make it out to be. Because you belong in SoCal doesn't necessarily mean everybody else does.

Your posts are very humorous which I am sure is not your intentions.
What are you talking about? Los Angeles has a ton of transplants!

Sactown does not seem at all very appealing long term. Obviously Denver is a heavy hitter compared to it in many ways.

Old 11-07-2017, 01:49 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post

Yet you rave about Dallas. Having lived in both, Dallas takes snobbery to a whole different level. I lived next to a burb where people would judge you based on stupid s&^% like your zip code and whether or not your driveway was in front of or behind your effing house. The level to which people will swing their d&^%s around to out-do each other down there is ridiculous.

Old 11-07-2017, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Yet you rave about Dallas. Having lived in both, Dallas takes snobbery to a whole different level. I lived next to a burb where people would judge you based on stupid s&^% like your zip code and whether or not your driveway was in front of or behind your effing house. The level to which people will swing their d&^%s around to out-do each other down there is ridiculous.
Well I think it depends on where you're from in DFW. There is snobbery down there, they made a whole TV series about it twice. But recall the Metroplex is HUGE and for all the snobby parts, there are many down to earth parts as well. Seems like it would be a much worse to be a single girl down there than a single guy if you ask me. If you have your act half together, I think that goes a long way in TX. Most TX transplants I've met in CO were really awesome and genuine in fact.

I would also have to argue that I wouldn't call Denver exactly friendly either. A lot of conversations were pretty much "on the surface" type stuff. Nothing terribly deep or meaningful, unless someone went through a breakup or got upset while intoxicated and you had to talk them down. I definitely had to work it to stay on radars, but after I while I had a good network of friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver