U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 08:41 AM

390 posts, read 278,626 times

Advertisements

Hi There, we moved from Illinois, just outside of St Louis, 5.5 years ago. We have not regretted leaving behind the cold, icy winters and humid summers.

We live in Thornton, just outside of the city of Broomfield. There are many areas you can consider around Broomfield that will be more affordable than Broomfield itself.

Thornton - Older part of Thornton not as popular as the northern side but you can get homes in the $280,000 price point.
Arvada - An older home can be found in the low 300's
North Westminster area - Higher price point, more around the $350,000 mark unless you are willing to look into a townhome.
Brighton - Further out but more home for your money, higher property taxes though but nowhere near Illinois property taxes. Has a sweet old downtown area.

As far as Longmont goes I can get up there in 20-25 minutes from Thornton and you can get there quickly from Broomfield if your work is along the I-36 corridor.

There are new neighborhoods going up in Thornton with 3 bedroom homes from the low 300's.

Living in Denver itself could be a headache getting to work, especially when it snows. You could bus it if you don't mind public transport but I think any place you find in the Denver area cheaper than the burbs might not be the greatest neighborhood, but that totally depends on what you are looking for in a neighborhood too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2017, 09:16 AM

5,199 posts, read 8,328,922 times
What part of Broomfield is work located in ?

Broomfield is fairly spread out, from the SW to the NE. And some parts of northern Westminster have Broomfield mailing addresses.

If you hook up with a local Realtor, have them explain the boundaries for Broomfield school district's (there are 6 !), and City/County. Or for any town you are looking at. Around Denver, the boundaries of cities, schools and Post Offices do not always coincide.

http://investbroomfield.com/Living-H...Education.aspx

Old 11-13-2017, 09:20 PM

538 posts, read 280,414 times
Answers in red, within the original quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePathBeforeMe View Post
Hello,

I am expecting an offer from a Broomfield based company this next week. My wife and I currently live in a western suburb of Chicago (Saint Charles, Illinois). The offer letter (as I am told by HR) is with an expected start date in January of 2018. They will offer a relocation fund for us to make the move. But first we need to sell our home and find a city in the area of Broomfield of which we want to live.

We currently own a nice 3 bedroom, 3 bathroom home, remodeled with a yard home that we paid $290k for.

As we began to look at properties in Broomfield, Thornton, Arvada, and Westminster, we got demoralized with what our budget of $300-$350k could afford us.

Can I get some friendly advice from some people who live in either the Jefferson County or surrounding areas of Broomfield?

What questions we're trying to answer;

1. What (in your opinion) are the best places to live with a 15-mile radius around Broomfield? A 15 mile radius is a pretty big circle.

The suburbs are clustered all over the metro area. Is the job in Interlocken, or do you know? I live in the exact area you seek, about three minutes from Interlocken... and knowing your budget I would chime in with others to recommend Arvada, Westminster, or even the central parts of Broomfield if you want to have a fairly short commute. Thornton is farther away as is Northglenn (which also might have some good options for you). The older neighborhoods can be charming, but the house you seek will probably not be as big.

2. What type of budget should we realistically be setting ourselves for a 3 bedroom home in that area? Look in Arvad

You can find homes in your price range, have you checked realtor or zillow?

3. We are hoping to find a town (similar to what Olde Town Arvada feels like) in the area which we live, any of the cities you recommend, do they have a small town feel?

All of the northern metro burbs have city centers of some description and some are being revamped (Westminster at 92nd and Harlan). Broomfield has big plans for the area of 120th and Main coming up. Thornton is sort of spread out more, Erie has a nice feel to it I think.

I think we'll be renting for a handful of months while we search the market for our home. But any advice is greatly appreciated.

YES! Do this, get a feel for different areas, spend time, lots of time first.

We are trying to make sense of this as it's happened quickly. My wife will have to find a job (which hinders us a bit, she is in the graphic design field).

Graphics field is pretty competitive here and the companies tend to pay under market because they know they can get away with it. I used to walk in that world.

Any advice is appreciated!

PS. Expected salary is $90-95K. We currently have a combined salary (my wife and I) of $182k right now and will go down to 1x salary for 1-6 months while she looks for a job. We also have a little $ nest egg we'll be brining.
PS: Welcome to Colorado. Nice place to live.

Old 11-13-2017, 09:26 PM

538 posts, read 280,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Broomfield is fairly spread out, from the SW to the NE. And some parts of northern Westminster have Broomfield mailing addresses.
Mostly (not all) it is unincorporated Jefferson County on the very north end of the line, up against Broomfield with the 80021 mailing address but it really makes no difference location-wise unless you have kids in school.

We can choose either Broomfield or Westminster for the address depending on which city is currently in the dog house with us.

Old 11-15-2017, 07:10 AM

14 posts, read 16,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowilldo View Post
Answers in red, within the original quote:

PS: Welcome to Colorado. Nice place to live.

First off, thank you TwoWillDo! Yes, my job will be located off of Airport Way and Interlock Loop (in Broomfield).

We have done a lot of searching on various realtor sites and generally have come down to wanting to be in Arvada, Westminister or Broomfield. Really this is all based on home prices and the the commute.

I see a lot of others mentioning Northglen, Thornton and Erie. Since you live near the Interlock, can you give me a realistic idea of what a commute would look like during morning and evening rush hour? Ideally wed love to be 15-20 minutes away from work, as well plan to start a family and being in close proximity to Home will be incredibly helpful. (Plus it beats my 1.5 hour commute 1x way to Chicago now).

Since were landing there without my wifes job. Well downsize to a 1-2 bedroom apartment for 6 months or so while we search for a home. Any recommendations on where apartments are centrally located to a downtown area so my wife can walk to a coffee shop, etc?

Were sad to leave both sets of our family behind us. But are confident its the right move. Well be looking forward to the lifestyle and are hopeful to meet and make friends in our similar age group (low 30s).

Thanks for all your help!

Old 11-15-2017, 07:20 AM

14 posts, read 16,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthDenverGirl View Post
Hi There, we moved from Illinois, just outside of St Louis, 5.5 years ago. We have not regretted leaving behind the cold, icy winters and humid summers.

As far as Longmont goes I can get up there in 20-25 minutes from Thornton and you can get there quickly from Broomfield if your work is along the I-36 corridor.

There are new neighborhoods going up in Thornton with 3 bedroom homes from the low 300's.
Ah! A fellow midwestern made the plunge into a bearable winter climate as well! Yes, the Illinois winters are absolutely horrendous. Almost like it takes years off our lives. Essentially each winter is Nov-March!

Anyway, Ive seen the new homes on RedFin in Thornton to be built as well in the low $300s. Any experience with these or know anyone living in them? Too good to be true? My fear is poor construction based on that price.

How is your commute to the mountains on the weekend from Thornton? Also, it sounds like you work in a Broomfield, Id love to know what your commute is like!

Thanks!

Old 11-15-2017, 08:02 AM

390 posts, read 278,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePathBeforeMe View Post
Ah! A fellow midwestern made the plunge into a bearable winter climate as well! Yes, the Illinois winters are absolutely horrendous. Almost like it takes years off our lives. Essentially each winter is Nov-March!

Anyway, Ive seen the new homes on RedFin in Thornton to be built as well in the low $300s. Any experience with these or know anyone living in them? Too good to be true? My fear is poor construction based on that price.

How is your commute to the mountains on the weekend from Thornton? Also, it sounds like you work in a Broomfield, Id love to know what your commute is like!

Thanks!
Hey! Yes, the weather is all dreadful in Illinois, so much better here.

The new homes are Richmond American homes, I have friends and clients that live in Richmond American and they have mixed reviews, to be honest. However, I do have a friend that has purchased one of the these new homes, you do get a lot for the price compared to other homes. This particular neighborhood is starting to be built up around because they are putting light rail in and the station will be within a 5-minute walk.You would want to be careful of lots though because some will likely back up to the neighboring trailer park. If you like to cycle this neighborhood has great access to the S Platte River and Trails.

Thornton to the mountains is actually a relatively easy drive up I-25 then I-70, it depends on where you want to go as to how long it will take and sometimes weekend traffic on I-70 is dreadful especially weekends but that traffic will be there no matter what suburb you come from. Without traffic or little traffic it is an enjoyable drive. It takes us about 1hr 40 minutes to get to Breckenridge on a good day. It takes us about the same to get right into Rocky Mountain National or shorter drives up to the mountain towns above Boulder.

I actually drive all over the place but the commute from Thornton to Broomfield is not bad. You have choices depending on where you work like I-25 to I-36, the toll road or the main roads through Thornton, Westminster and into Broomfield. My husband works about 15 minutes from where we live and never has to deal with too much traffic.

Let me know if I can help with any other questions

Old 11-15-2017, 01:46 PM

5,199 posts, read 8,328,922 times
Given work location, when looking at housing, try to stay west of US 36/Boulder Turnpike. If east of 36, you have to cross it at a few congested interchanges.

Re temp apts with access to shops, etc, look around the west and south sides of the Flatirons Mall.
https://www.bellapartmentliving.com/...-at-flatirons/
Green Leaf RockVue - Broomfield - CO

Or the area around the RTD Park& Ride
https://www.amli.com/apartments/denv...omfield/arista

Or there are some smaller complexes around the Midway and US 287 commercial area of Broomfield.
https://www.apartments.com/flatirons...ld-co/bmw92fb/

Good Luck......Speaking as a ex-Chicagoan myself (Hanover Park), your going to love living in the area

Old 11-19-2017, 06:20 PM

2,561 posts, read 1,809,149 times
OP, you live in a nice area of Chicagoland. But, I don't have to tell you the sad state of financial condition the State of IL is in. I'd take the opportunity to leave the Land of Lincoln and all of it's mismanagement and corruption asap.

You didn't mention your home's property taxes, but expect MUCH more reasonable prop tax rates in Colo. even though the purchase prices are higher than IL.

Old 11-21-2017, 11:57 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,103,724 times
I hope you like Colorado !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or