Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2017, 07:23 AM

16,955 posts, read 12,525,034 times

Advertisements

If yes, what was your experience and are you seen in the video? Where were you sitting?

(U2 detractors, yes I know you dont like them. go elsewhere)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2017, 10:15 AM

1,916 posts, read 2,268,616 times
yes I cant remember

Old 11-09-2017, 10:31 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,494,004 times
Anyone who claims they were there is lying. Nobody was at that show

Old 11-09-2017, 12:55 PM

1,916 posts, read 2,268,616 times
no it was raining I did not go

Old 11-09-2017, 02:44 PM

34 posts, read 36,830 times
Yes, I was there. 19 years old at the time. About 30 rows back, in the middle. Can't see me in the movie.

Old 11-10-2017, 06:26 PM

108 posts, read 120,163 times
No, I was not at the concert, but just a couple of days ago I was cleaning out the basement and came across a VHS tape of U2 at the Red Rocks.

Old 11-12-2017, 07:38 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,356,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
If yes, what was your experience and are you seen in the video? Where were you sitting?

(U2 detractors, yes I know you dont like them. go elsewhere)
Yea, I was there, it was awesome. The experience...wet. We sat there in the parking lot most the morning drinking beer waiting for it to break. Wandered around the site some, considered leaving when opening acts cancelled, but had nothing else to do so we stuck around. Eventually noticed them cleaning the stage and headed way down to the front to watch. People started filling in and we decided to stay as far forward as we could. We never heard the annoucement of conversion from assigned seating to general admission, we just tried to squeeze in as far down as we could. Had tickets about half way back, but ended up within the front 5 rows or so. There was a sudden surge towards the stage when they\ band started, so no real order for seating was occuring down close. The place was half empty anyway. Eventually the show started. Crowd was fantastic, U2 was fantastic, scene was set like nothing else before or since. When it was all over we just stood there amazed. We knew we had just had a significant experience.

Later when the show was broadcast on Mtv, tried to watch for myself but never saw my head bouncing in the sea of people. Had some friends say they saw me, but this was back in the day before online on-demand repeats, so never got a chance to re-watch it. My wife got me the video on the 30th anniversary. Still haven't viewed it in enough depth to find myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Pretty much. There were only 4500 or so people there that day. Place was mostly empty but they did offer a free show the following night so I imagine more people went to that show and have tagged along with the legacy that they "were there."

Old 11-13-2017, 04:49 AM

16,955 posts, read 12,525,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
4000+ did.

TCHP thanks for the story. One of those "If I had a time machine and an airline ticket" moments in time. Visually the video is amazing.

How cold was it?

Old 11-13-2017, 07:18 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,494,004 times
Quote:
4000+ did.

TCHP thanks for the story. One of those "If I had a time machine and an airline ticket" moments in time. Visually the video is amazing.

How cold was it?
I know, but it’s a running joke that half the city claimed to have been there. Red Rocks was half empty

Old 11-15-2017, 08:52 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,356,749 times
Quote:
4000+ did.

How cold was it?
Unfortunately for me, it was also the last U2 show I ever attended. Their soaring popularity through the 80s that created insane tickets lines before online purchasing, escalating ticket prices through the 90s, and subsequent lack of touring in this century have all conspired against me. Its all good though, as the Red Rocks show was a peak that would be hard to ever duplicate despite the huge increase in their musical library.

I don't recall it being particularly cold that night although the video makes it appear pretty chilly. We did have a cool front that came through the night before and brought the lower temps and heavy rain. My friend and I had jean jackets and trash bag overcoats and we were fine. I'm sure the whole dew point/temp/moisture levels conspired to make it look pretty cold, but even the band was wearing short sleeved shirts despite generating a lot of steam themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver