U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2017, 05:32 PM

3 posts, read 5,998 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I fell asleep while driving, hit a sign, and got a court summons to appear for careless driving. It was just me, no substance/alcohol abuse, and no other people/vehicles were involved (I'm completely fine btw). My only other ticket was a speeding ticket in 2012 (in college, late for class), and the points for that are off my record now. My key questions are:

-Should I hire an attorney for the case? If it's just a fine than it wouldnt make much sense, as the rates for lawyers eclipse that by almost twice the amount.

-How worried should I be about jail time? It wasn't malicious intent, and every case I've read ends with the person accepting some sort of deal that cuts the points down to 2, and having to pay a fine. I'm freaking out pretty bad about this one.

-Should I bring anything to court any documents other than insurance? Also, any advice about how to go about navigating the court would be great.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2017, 08:20 PM

4,875 posts, read 9,619,939 times
What jurisdiction?

This issue has been discussed several times on this forum. Do you know how to do a forum search?

Old 11-12-2017, 08:33 PM

6,904 posts, read 6,499,225 times
Jail time?? It’s a 4 point offense that will likely be pled down to 2. Take the plea and pay the fine.

Old 11-13-2017, 12:00 PM

540 posts, read 254,887 times
read the back of your ticket. Likely there is a built in guilty plea, reduced points and fine. If not arrange a meeting at the DA's office. Your speeding ticket is old news by now

Old 11-13-2017, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
What jurisdiction?

This issue has been discussed several times on this forum. Do you know how to do a forum search?
Sorry, didn't include that - it's the Aurora Municipal court. I've read all the threads on the forum about careless driving charges, and the overwhelming majority involve another car or person. There's one thread where a guy hit a trash can, and since that would be the category I would be in I was curious as to if people had experience with that particular situation.

Old 11-13-2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Jail time?? It’s a 4 point offense that will likely be pled down to 2. Take the plea and pay the fine.
So jail time would be highly unlikely? That's what I'm more concerned about.

Old 11-13-2017, 01:22 PM

6,904 posts, read 6,499,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiya1 View Post
So jail time would be highly unlikely? That's what I'm more concerned about.
Unlikely unless you got a DUI too, no show for court, or donít pay your fine.

Old 11-13-2017, 02:31 PM

4,875 posts, read 9,619,939 times
Hiya, the process is the same for the difference various violations. That's why I was suggesting that you read through other posts where we have explained the process.

You go to the court on your court date. The first thing you do is talk with the prosecuting attorney (who acts on behalf of the city). Usually they will work out a plea bargain with you where you agree to plead guilty in exchange for lowering the penalty, i.e., from 4 points to 2, plus some $$$. You agree to the plea deal, you go before the judge, he asks if you accept the plea deal, and then it's done.

Jail time HIGHLY unlikely unless the offender has a previous history of violations as explained by SkyDog77. If your last moving violation was in 2012 and you don't have any outstanding warrants for any reason, the judge is not going to put you in jail.

Old 11-15-2017, 07:03 AM

14,115 posts, read 20,821,470 times
You could have killed someone so deal with whatever comes and learn from it

Old 11-15-2017, 07:25 AM

16,025 posts, read 19,575,589 times
Perhaps you should seek a free consult with a local attorney to help you be less afraid. If you can afford one, it will help of course....

I'm not an attorney, but I do have some experience with courts. So, I have a couple of suggestions, although no one can actually say what a judge will decide.

The judge makes a decision based on the information in front of him/her. The fact that you obviously aren't a person who is constantly getting tickets will help.

Also, give him/her the tools to be able to go easier on you.

Be very respectful, the Judge is addressed as Your Honor... ....be remorseful, Humbly apologize to the court....The remorse, and fear of the recognition that you could have hurt another person, the fact that you've learned your lesson and it will never happen again, and that you take precautions to prevent it ever happening again. ex: You worked a double, and rather than drive tired next time you'll stay at a friends overnight......

Good luck to you and please update.

Links that may help
http://trafficattorneycolorado.com/c...wyer-colorado/

https://coloradotrafficlawyer.com/ca...affic-offense/

https://www.avvo.com/topics/tickets-...age=4&state=co

https://www.auroragov.org/residents/...ring_in_court/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or