U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 03:49 PM

902 posts, read 522,038 times

Advertisements

Richmond America homes can be good quality. But the biggest problem is that the "low 300's" is really deceptive because that is a house that has literally NO upgrades. Basic kitchen cabinets (even missing an entire wall of cabinets), no can lighting, no air conditioning, no higher ceilings, carpeting throughout (no hardwood or tile even in bathrooms), etc. A friend bought an RA house (starting at $400k) and medium upgrades tacked on another 100k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2017, 04:01 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,102,128 times
How cool homes in the low 300 's , some are being built in the Castlewood Canyon area and for a 321 K house with 20 % down at 4 % for 30 yrs you will only need about 71 K to close ! I wonder how long it will take the average family to save 71 K ?

Old 11-16-2017, 04:08 PM

20,975 posts, read 11,615,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisphotographer View Post
That's what my parents are finding. They're looking in Castle Rock and Monument. The new builds had limited options, and what options they had, the upgrades were wayyyy too expensive. Things like taking laminate flooring and upgrading to engineered hardwood was $10,000 for the 1,200 sq ft main floor. Laminate runs you $1-3/sq foot, engineered hardwood runs you $2-5/sq foot. That's at most a a $3600 difference, yet they were charging 3x as much for that "upgrade". I could see $5000 instead of 3600 to have some profit. But a 3x increase?
And that's when you have them put in the basic, no upgrade option and then do the upgrade yourself.

I had a spreadsheet with every upgrade option I was considering and the builder price, and then researched the price to do it on my own after closing. I also weighed the hassle factor and whether I was willing to pay some additional mark up to have it done at move in or if it was a small enough change that I could handle doing myself (or more accurately, hiring someone to do it for me).

I was actually surprised by some of the pricing, for instance, on things like upgrading to Decora light switches and door levers instead of knobs, I couldn't even have bought them for same price, never mind adding anything to install. For some other things, the mark up was crazy and I took care of it after closing.

Old 11-16-2017, 04:11 PM

389 posts, read 277,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
And that's when you have them put in the basic, no upgrade option and then do the upgrade yourself.

I had a spreadsheet with every upgrade option I was considering and the builder price, and then researched the price to do it on my own after closing. I also weighed the hassle factor and whether I was willing to pay some additional mark up to have it done at move in or if it was a small enough change that I could handle doing myself (or more accurately, hiring someone to do it for me).

I was actually surprised by some of the pricing, for instance, on things like upgrading to Decora light switches and door levers instead of knobs, I couldn't even have bought them for same price, never mind adding anything to install. For some other things, the mark up was crazy and I took care of it after closing.
So smart and great advice for people looking at new homes!

Old 11-17-2017, 10:39 AM

8,083 posts, read 2,816,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
So, we walked out of there and bought a 8 year old home with no 'upgrades' which was bigger in all ways and saved 150K. Now, we are slowly upgrading the home and picking out exactly what we want.
I will confess that I don't really understand the appeal of a brand-new house. Maybe for some people it's like a brand-new car or whatever, but I stopped buying those a decade ago, too.

OTOH, I am handy up to frame extension work and all house systems, so I see an older house in a different light than, maybe, a young couple with little remodel and repair experience. But even that aside, I would rather have a house with a decade's "growing in" - yard, neighborhood, details - than something with a raw yard in a neighborhood still full of construction teams, and house systems still going through teething problems (if not substandard-equipment problems).

Old 11-17-2017, 10:48 AM

20,975 posts, read 11,615,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
I will confess that I don't really understand the appeal of a brand-new house. Maybe for some people it's like a brand-new car or whatever, but I stopped buying those a decade ago, too.

OTOH, I am handy up to frame extension work and all house systems, so I see an older house in a different light than, maybe, a young couple with little remodel and repair experience. But even that aside, I would rather have a house with a decade's "growing in" - yard, neighborhood, details - than something with a raw yard in a neighborhood still full of construction teams, and house systems still going through teething problems (if not substandard-equipment problems).
for me the attraction is that I picked out every thing in my house, it's all to my taste and no someone else's. And short of doing a full gut reno on an entire house all at the same time - something I'd never be able to manage and afford - I never have and likely never will have the chance to live someplace where I picked out and love everything in it.

More mature landscaping (although the builder did put in landscaping so even at move in, it wasn't bad) would be nice but everything else is fine - I'm in a planned urban community where people specifically move because they want the kind of area where kids can run around outside and play, ride their bikes, walk to the school (already built when we moved in), etc.

So yeah, there's a lot of appeal to new construction for many people.

Old 11-17-2017, 03:58 PM

6,903 posts, read 6,494,653 times
Quote:

I am in a house we built and designed. My prior home was built in 1906. I tore that one apart with a Sawzall and a sledge hammer because it hadnít been remodeled since the 1960s when we bought it.

We built because we found a big lot and loved the location but not the house that was on it so we tore it down. We got what we wanted where we wanted (well as much as we could within our budget) and that meant building new. Nice thing about being in an established neighborhood is we definitely have mature trees.

Last edited by SkyDog77; 11-17-2017 at 04:42 PM..

Old 11-17-2017, 04:31 PM

641 posts, read 383,998 times
Quote:

After a 1980's townhome & a 2003 SFH, we bought new. There's pros and cons.

The first townhome we redid most of it, and it was a lot of work with a 2 year old running aaround.The second home, the seller basically didn't clean the entire month before closing and left us $200 worth of dog poo removal, and it was just overwhelming. Plus, some of their updates upon closer inspection were really just DIY fails....that we were stuck fixing. Who only paints the front of the house?

Idk. With the new house I miss the large trees, but it came fully landscaped, we got to pick everything out, and our closing costs with rebates was cheaper than the previous house, which cost $40k less.

And we're not really dealing with someone else's mess. The only work we'll be doing is things I'd do in a resale home as well. Plus, I always worry about who owned it before and what kind of weird vibes or dirty secrets they had.

Otoh, I'm glad we bought used the first two times, because even though it was tough, we learned needed skills that will hopefully allow us to care for our new home as it ages.

Old 11-18-2017, 08:12 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,102,128 times
here is what your millions will look like in one of the ugliest city in the U.S.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkxlKpldiF8

look down on all your peasants EL PATRON

Old 11-18-2017, 08:20 AM

6,903 posts, read 6,494,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilberry View Post
here is what your millions will look like in one of the ugliest city in the U.S.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkxlKpldiF8

look down on all your peasants EL PATRON
Video is clearly fake. Guy driving the Corvette is under 60 and doesnít have a mustache.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver