U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 01:48 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,064,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisphotographer View Post
So this means more tolls?
Tolls are the best way to solve or at least lessen traffic problems, I say bring on more. We get into our mess because we don't charge enough to use roads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2017, 01:59 PM

3,276 posts, read 1,482,258 times
Given the fact that international oil companies have completely stopped investing in long term infrastructure, within three years, people won't even be able to afford to drive. The push should be towards developing infrastructure not so reliant on a resource that statistics show is becoming increasingly scarce.

Old 11-16-2017, 02:11 PM

1,303 posts, read 430,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Tolls are the best way to solve or at least lessen traffic problems, I say bring on more. We get into our mess because we don't charge enough to use roads.
All it does is cause more backup on the side-streets. Highways are the most efficient type of roadway due to the lack of constant stopping and going with light cycles.

People still need to get to work. All tolls are is another form of taxation, in CO's instance, money paid to 3rd parties for way too long of a period of time. I have no problems with tolls. We have them all over IL. They are just priced a hell of a lot more reasonable there. My previous ~7 mile commute via Tollway was around $1.50 round trip each day. E470 for the same distance is $5.40.

Old 11-16-2017, 04:13 PM

5,444 posts, read 4,814,648 times
Quote:
All it does is cause more backup on the side-streets. Highways are the most efficient type of roadway due to the lack of constant stopping and going with light cycles.

People still need to get to work. All tolls are is another form of taxation, in CO's instance, money paid to 3rd parties for way too long of a period of time. I have no problems with tolls. We have them all over IL. They are just priced a hell of a lot more reasonable there. My previous ~7 mile commute via Tollway was around $1.50 round trip each day. E470 for the same distance is $5.40.
I understand that tolls can be beneficial in levying the cost of a project, but tolls should be to help pay for the project. Once the project is paid for, the tolls should be removed. Or maybe, they should do what we peons have to do at home and that is not begin a project until you have the funds secured (and I'm not talking about borrowing from some out of state company).

Old 11-16-2017, 04:25 PM

6,905 posts, read 6,499,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS79 View Post
And 2x what the budget starts at too!
I’m pretty sure the private contractor assumes that risk. That’s one of the upsides of the P3 arrangement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Aren't the tolls just for the Express Lanes? I thought I read that somewhere.
Correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
I understand that tolls can be beneficial in levying the cost of a project, but tolls should be to help pay for the project. Once the project is paid for, the tolls should be removed. Or maybe, they should do what we peons have to do at home and that is not begin a project until you have the funds secured (and I'm not talking about borrowing from some out of state company).
Toll is express lane only. I am all for the public funding the project in its entirety, but we have not shown a willingness to do that and the road is literally crumbling. This is the way projects are getting done right now.

Also plenty of peons take out mortgages to do massive remodels.

Old 11-16-2017, 04:48 PM

5,444 posts, read 4,814,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post

Toll is express lane only. I am all for the public funding the project in its entirety, but we have not shown a willingness to do that and the road is literally crumbling. This is the way projects are getting done right now.

Also plenty of peons take out mortgages to do massive remodels.
I just think we are spending money on the wrong projects. For instance, the huge project of I25 and Arapahoe. Will it be nice when it is fully done? Most definitely, but I don't think there was a major need for it to happen in the first place.

Old 11-16-2017, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
I just think we are spending money on the wrong projects. For instance, the huge project of I25 and Arapahoe. Will it be nice when it is fully done? Most definitely, but I don't think there was a major need for it to happen in the first place.
Itís hard for me to say that I-70 is the wrong project.

Old 11-16-2017, 08:08 PM

13,950 posts, read 20,207,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Itís hard for me to say that I-70 is the wrong project.
It wonít be difficult in 2050 when autonomous cars dominate.

Old 11-16-2017, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
It won’t be difficult in 2050 when autonomous cars dominate.
Need flying cars. That viaduct will collapse before 2050.

Old 11-16-2017, 10:59 PM

114 posts, read 55,262 times
Quote:

To travel about 13 miles on a recently built toll between my office and home in Texas it's $13 each way. Talk about ridiculous tolls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or