Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 04:10 PM

26 posts, read 27,444 times

Advertisements

24F, moving from Charleston, SC to Denver, CO in February. I've never lived in a cold region before. Please help me understand what type of clothing I'm going to need before relocating (obviously, I have summer stuff covered... more concerned about extreme winter as it never really gets cold in South Carolina).

I'm working seasonal retail for a department store right now so I can get discounts on things like Columbia jackets and Isotoner gloves. Not sure what's necessary and what isn't and what type of material to look for. Please advise in any way that you can.

Also, what type of crazy weather should I prepare for? Never lived in a place that snowed or had an issue with Tornadoes. Any tips here? Anything else? Bugs? Traffic? Things that happen in Colorado that I may not know or think about?

Thanks you guys!

Edit: Also things I'll have to do to my car since I've never lived in cold areas. I know I won't be able to just go outside and crank it up and go anymore. Do I need special tires for snow? Anything like that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2017, 06:48 PM

824 posts, read 705,060 times
Denver (high land desert climate)
last year it hardly snowed, this year is starting out no different. That being said the climate can be unstable. My bet, if it matters, it will be dry and little snow like last year. Lots of times it will snow and melt the next day.
-day night temperature dif is like 30-40 degrees. People dress in layers. Sunrise is the coldest part of the day.
-your car; make sure your existing tires are not too bald. If you drive something like a Honda S2000 you will need snow tires. Otherwise a front wheel drive, medium weight or better vehicle i would guess no need for snow tires. By the way where you land in Denver off street parking is nice as street parking an be rough on a nicer vehicle.
-Tornadoes are not an issue last few years as it has been too dry for them to form. Hail damage is another issue tho and this is still frequent.
-Traffic; freeways grid lock easy as the state dosnt spend much on infrastructure. There is a semi functional public transportn (bus & lite rail) so depends where you live work. Some times city streets are a better bet. Best to setup live work situations close together. Rents are high.

it has been dry, hasnt rained in a few months. Hand lotion chap stick rule.

buy your winter clothing at a consignment shop when you get here. Buffalo Exchange is very trendy.

your car will start run just fine w/o changes. Jump in and take off. Replace your existing battery if it is old. Dont start your car to warm up, leave the key in the ignition, your car WILL get stolen. Buy a small shovel for the trunk and a window snow brush ice scraper.

enjoy

Old 12-02-2017, 06:58 PM

686 posts, read 2,436,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wertzso View Post
24F, moving from Charleston, SC to Denver, CO in February. I've never lived in a cold region before. Please help me understand what type of clothing I'm going to need before relocating (obviously, I have summer stuff covered... more concerned about extreme winter as it never really gets cold in South Carolina).

I'm working seasonal retail for a department store right now so I can get discounts on things like Columbia jackets and Isotoner gloves. Not sure what's necessary and what isn't and what type of material to look for. Please advise in any way that you can.

Also, what type of crazy weather should I prepare for? Never lived in a place that snowed or had an issue with Tornadoes. Any tips here? Anything else? Bugs? Traffic? Things that happen in Colorado that I may not know or think about?

Thanks you guys!

Edit: Also things I'll have to do to my car since I've never lived in cold areas. I know I won't be able to just go outside and crank it up and go anymore. Do I need special tires for snow? Anything like that?

For Winter weather gear - I would get a lighter down filled jacket and a heavier one with a hood. The temps can swing quite a bit. The weather here is quite bipolar. This Fall has been quite warm and snowless for the most part, but that can change quite quickly. We can get big snowstorms but they don't last for days on end. When the sun comes out, the snow will melt, at least in the non shady areas...even when temps are well below freezing. Also, expect some snow chances until early or mid May. It can be 70 one day and be snowing like crazy the next.

As far as your car, make sure your tires have good traction. I made it on some good all season tires in one of the blizzards the Winter before last. Winter tires are better, but I know plenty of people who say they aren't necessary. There are a few threads on here discussing that very issue. Just make sure your wiper fluid is rated to at least -20 or better -30.

I never see mosquitoes unless I'm near a creek or lake, so bugs shouldn't be an issue.

Old 12-02-2017, 07:01 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
Make sure your car has antifreeze in the radiator and that your window washer fluid is also the non-freezing type.

I lived 11 years in COLO SPGS on plain old winter clothing like you'd have in DC or NYC. One good heavy coat or jacket, jeans, warm gloves, etc.

The BIG IF is whether you want to go up in the high country and ski in winter. That clothing is somewhat specialized and often a bit pricey.

Most time in winter if the sun was shining and the wind was light I could drive to from most places in jeans and a long sleeved L L Bean heavy cotton shirt. I'd keep the heavy coat in the car just in case. At night I'd wear the coat. Our car was in a garage so it was never ice cold in the car when I got in. If your car will be out in the weather then you'd wear a coat regardless.

The air is dry and you don't feel the cold in your bones like you do in humid places like DC or NYC or Chicago.

It's a bit hip in COLO to wear a "North Face" jacket but Columbia will do fine.

In the case of being out in a severe cold or extreme blizzard (rare) I'd wear a full face/head cover like a Balaclava. I used this maybe once per year to shovel snow on very cold days. Excellent gloves are good to have.

Don't go overboard, one set of such is all you need to arrive with, then you can play it as it goes.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-02-2017, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
... Don't go overboard, one set of such is all you need to arrive with, then you can play it as it goes.
very good advice

Old 12-02-2017, 07:45 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,553,512 times
A micro puff jacket and a fleece are probably my two most used pieces of clothing. Layers are key as someone else said. Temps change a lot during the day.

What type of car do you have? What is the drivetrain? I’ll reiterate what others have said about fluids. Make sure you don’t have any water in the antifreeze or washer fluid.

Old 12-02-2017, 07:56 PM

17,709 posts, read 29,808,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
It's a bit hip in COLO to wear a "North Face" .
Please!
“The North Face”
Not hip. Required by state law. Cf. CRS 146.654.

Old 12-02-2017, 08:07 PM

7,515 posts, read 13,616,097 times
Add an ice scraper/snowbrush to the list. Similar to this:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Subzero-2...brush/36728099

BTW, did you read this "sticky" thread

15 things we always have to explain to visitors and newbies (Read Me First)

Old 12-02-2017, 08:27 PM

it was 70 degrees today
there has not been measurable rain or snow for the month of November
tho soon; we are expecting the mother of snow storms
last year was dry too

save your money see where it goes before buying the studded Blizzack Tires

Old 12-02-2017, 09:09 PM

834 posts, read 743,945 times
I have a jacket by Marmot that I absolutely love. It's going on year #6, it's very light and thin, but very warm. It was a gift so not sure how much it costs, but I'd highly recommend it. It's so thin, yet so warm...I just don't get it lol.

Otoh, I've gotten away with winters in a $10 puffy coat from Walmart. You really just need one warm coat. Boots aren't entirely necessary, though you may want them.

My absolutely necessary list would be:
Coat
Gloves
Winter Wiper Fluid (always keep backup in your car)
Ice scraper (you can buy them at Walmart or even the Dollar Tree)

You can for the most part - just go outside and start the car unless it's older. If there's snow, brush it off. If there's ice, while probably environmentally wrong, I run it with all the defrosters on & the heater turned to maximum temp and blow. Then brush off all the snow starting with the roof & then do the ice. Normal days you don't need to do anything.

Some people put their wiper blades up at night if they know it's going to snow.

Want list:
Lotion
SPF chapstick
Vaseline or petroleum jelly.
Good sunglasses.
Warmth gloves & snow gloves. Potentially driving gloves.
Scarf.
Hat.
Deluxe ice scraper. Large extendable handle. Big brushy end.
Magnetic windshield cover for snow.
Emergency kit with warmth blanket.
Lighter.
Snow tires.
Thermal undershirts/wear.
Sweaters.
Any hair moisturizing products if applicable.
Snow boots.
Warmth boots.
Multiple coats/jackets to layer with.
Umbrella.
Jumper Cables.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver