U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 06:55 PM

801 posts, read 426,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
There is very little downside to winter tires and immense benefits, especially if you re concerned about driving in snow and plan to be in the mountains during the winter. Donít listen to the know nothings who havenít ever driven with them.

It has barely snowed this year, but I was just on a forest service road today getting a Christmas tree and watched a 4WD truck have to get pulled out of a ditch. Bad tires. Tires are very important.

Yes, this too. One of our cars has great, quality snow tires stored in the crawl space during off season for winter mountain driving when we ski. My nephew's friend flipped his car last winter on his way up skiing due to poor, inadequate tires. The photos of his flipped car were horrifying though he walked away okay. Don't mess around with inferior tires and risk life and limb when going into these Colorado mountains in the winter!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2017, 08:17 PM

20,857 posts, read 39,095,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe333 View Post
This is true too especially with regard to car battery. Thank god, I had AAA the first year I was here as my newer SUV battery died one night at a soccer practice at a remote locale. Two years later, I traded this one in for another with 35k miles and this newer car battery died that first winter as well. Colorado winters are rough on your fluids and batteries so keep tabs on that! I'm fastidious about keeping up with my AAA membership out here!
The AAA battery service is excellent, they'll bring one out to your location or home and install it for you and do it for reasonable prices. I've used it at least twice.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-04-2017, 06:11 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,105,746 times
https://www.backcountry.com/norrona-...cket-mens?rr=t

a lime green ski jacket for only $ 800 !

not necessary unless you really want to impress ...

Old 12-05-2017, 04:48 PM

26 posts, read 16,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
A micro puff jacket and a fleece are probably my two most used pieces of clothing. Layers are key as someone else said. Temps change a lot during the day.

What type of car do you have? What is the drivetrain? Iíll reiterate what others have said about fluids. Make sure you donít have any water in the antifreeze or washer fluid.
I have a 1998 Ford Explorer

Old 12-05-2017, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdefg567 View Post
I have a jacket by Marmot that I absolutely love. It's going on year #6, it's very light and thin, but very warm. It was a gift so not sure how much it costs, but I'd highly recommend it. It's so thin, yet so warm...I just don't get it lol.

Otoh, I've gotten away with winters in a $10 puffy coat from Walmart. You really just need one warm coat. Boots aren't entirely necessary, though you may want them.

My absolutely necessary list would be:
Coat
Gloves
Winter Wiper Fluid (always keep backup in your car)
Ice scraper (you can buy them at Walmart or even the Dollar Tree)

You can for the most part - just go outside and start the car unless it's older. If there's snow, brush it off. If there's ice, while probably environmentally wrong, I run it with all the defrosters on & the heater turned to maximum temp and blow. Then brush off all the snow starting with the roof & then do the ice. Normal days you don't need to do anything.

Some people put their wiper blades up at night if they know it's going to snow.

Want list:
Lotion
SPF chapstick
Vaseline or petroleum jelly.
Good sunglasses.
Warmth gloves & snow gloves. Potentially driving gloves.
Scarf.
Hat.
Deluxe ice scraper. Large extendable handle. Big brushy end.
Magnetic windshield cover for snow.
Emergency kit with warmth blanket.
Lighter.
Snow tires.
Thermal undershirts/wear.
Sweaters.
Any hair moisturizing products if applicable.
Snow boots.
Warmth boots.
Multiple coats/jackets to layer with.
Umbrella.
Jumper Cables.
Super informative list, thank you!

Old 12-05-2017, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Step #1, Read the Sticky titled "15 things we always have to explain to visitors and newbies"
Will do! Sorry about that

Old 12-05-2017, 06:18 PM

13,675 posts, read 13,528,021 times
The dryness is going to be more of an issue than the cold. (Mainly because the dryness means the cold isn't usually that awful.)

Invest in a lot of chapstick and moisturizer and moisturizing body washes. My skin actually gets prickly from the dryness in winter. My friend who is a Colorado native has a large tube of hand lotion in her purse at all times.

Get yourself some decent water bottles (spend the money for ones like camelback or contigo so they don't leak) so you can bring water with you rather than having to buy it.

I buy all my winter gear at Old Navy (don't get your water bottles there!) or Costco (which always has light-weight down jackets and coats at reasonable prices). Unless you're going into the mountains in the winter, there's really no need for anything pricey. But I work from home, so I'm often holed up for the worst of the winter.

Old 12-06-2017, 08:24 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,425 posts, read 39,784,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Make sure your car has antifreeze in the radiator and that your window washer fluid is also the non-freezing type.

The BIG IF is whether you want to go up in the high country and ski in winter. That clothing is somewhat specialized and often a bit pricey.

It's a bit hip in COLO to wear a "North Face" jacket but Columbia will do fine.

... Excellent gloves are good to have.

Don't go overboard, one set of such is all you need to arrive with, then you can play it as it goes.
<$100 full gear
Thinsulate gloves
Poly Prop long johns
Wool hat / or scarf
+
I still wear my Retro Colorado 'Hip ** FROSTLINE**-attire' (I made in 1970's during 4-H projects)
I got 3 more last yr on Ebay / Etsy for <$25 each, they will last another 40 yrs.
Frostline Kits were based in Boulder,Colorado and Denver, Coloradofor many years and they even had a store in Portland Oregon for awhile since there are so many big mountains nearby like Mt Hood and Mt St. Helens

For REALLY cold conditions I still have my Colorado Camp 7 Parka
https://www.outinunder.com/content/g...ort-and-camp-7
Alp Sport’s unique products, like the Normal parka, the first down-filled ski parka with no stitches in the smooth outer shell, were immediate successes.

The Normal parka’s success got the attention of Massachusetts-based Alps Sportswear, who asked Lamb to change his company name. He did. Alpine Designs became his apparel label, and Alp Sport remained as his hardgoods label.

After selling his company in 1969 to General Recreation, Lamb stayed on as a consultant but eventually left to form yet another company, Camp 7, in July 1971.

Camp 7 had a mete*oric rise, netting $4 million in sales in its first year in business. Over half of the sales were to the Japanese market, but when that market suddenly dried up, it left Lamb in debt and forced him to close the company down.

Looking back at that time, Lamb noted in 1991 that he still saw a lot of people wearing Alp Sport and Camp 7 down jackets. “We produced great products designed to last a lifetime.”
Alp Sport and Alpine Designs and Camp7 all sprung from the Boulder gear pioneering camp
Quote:
Originally Posted by wertzso View Post
I have a 1998 Ford Explorer
Good choice,

BE sure to have synthetic oil in engine and tranny (once you arrive)
New wiper blades
New fuel filter (every yr in Sept / Oct)
New air filter (less air to filter, so let it breath free!)
Use a winter gas conditioner (get rid of condensation in fuel tank)

All season tires will be fine. Check the air pressure monthly

Old 12-10-2017, 11:01 PM

191 posts, read 135,033 times
Default Don't forget the feet

Three pages in and nobody's mentioned the two pieces of clothing that are the foundation of a warm winter day-- wool socks. Nothing else stays warm and cozy all day. Indoors or exercising, you're bound to get hot, causing your feet to sweat. Cotton sops that up and hols it like a bath towel, but wool wicks moisture from the skin and keeps its insulating powers. If you think wool is too itchy, you haven't tied the modern blends or the premium woolens, such as Smart Wool. I'd rather have those with sandals on on a cold, dry day than wear cotton socks in hiking boots-- especially insulated boots, which can overheat easily.

Old 12-12-2017, 06:57 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,105,746 times
Oh yeah ! I still have my army wool socks and Army long underwear invaluable !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or