U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-04-2017, 10:52 AM
 
Location: Denver, CO
122 posts, read 124,869 times
Reputation: 193

Advertisements

Reading this article I found it seem to resonate with the Denver market too.

The Great American
Single-Family Home Problem


I've only lived here for going on 8 months, but have been researching the housing market to see where/when/how we want to buy here in Denver.

Do you feel the NIMBY (not in my backyard) mentality is prevailing here too? I've overheard that local govt is also preventing building quickly as well.

I know it's not an easy issue to fix, but the gentrification hot topic seems to fall in line with this too.

What is the answer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-04-2017, 11:01 AM
 
Location: Castle Rock, CO
196 posts, read 134,847 times
Reputation: 398
This article focuses on the Bay Area - and yeah, this totally happens there... I think there are a lot of "pockets" in the Denver metro where it would be appealing for developers to build more densely or build up.

Seeing this happen in the Bay is exactly why when I moved here, I bought a house in an acreage community w/ open space on 2 sides. Want to guarantee the NIMBY ;-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2017, 11:33 AM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
2,561 posts, read 1,808,146 times
Reputation: 2659
One major problem in the home building industry these days is the lack of skilled tradesmen/women. I'm glad Mike Rowe, guy from Dirty Jobs show, has highlighted this problem.

I imagine there is NIMBY-ism to some degree in Denver suburbs, but not what you'd experience in the Bay area (or any coastal CA location for that matter, lol.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2017, 12:58 PM
 
540 posts, read 255,240 times
Reputation: 405
Denver is land locked. No choice until the next economic dwn turn; denver will have to build up with higher density, smaller lots. Outcome of the east i70 construction will be neighborhoods like Swensea experience the gentrification.

-How much VALUE denver represents give traffic issues, medium quality education. The job market has improved across the country not just in Denver anymore
-there has been significant populations increases but the increase has occurred over many years
-how long will denverGov be able to keep taxes lower than expected

-Will we see a Punch Bowl Social restaurant bar take over the Purina dog food plant?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2017, 01:04 PM
 
Location: Denver, CO
122 posts, read 124,869 times
Reputation: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by daprara View Post
Denver is land locked. No choice until the next economic dwn turn; denver will have to build up with higher density, smaller lots. Outcome of the east i70 construction will be neighborhoods like Swensea experience the gentrification.

-How much VALUE denver represents give traffic issues, medium quality education. The job market has improved across the country not just in Denver anymore
-there has been significant populations increases but the increase has occurred over many years
-how long will denverGov be able to keep taxes lower than expected

-Will we see a Punch Bowl Social restaurant bar take over the Purina dog food plant?
What does any of this have to do with the article?

Also "Denver is land locked" != having to build up with higher density. just the opposite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2017, 01:49 PM
 
540 posts, read 255,240 times
Reputation: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianmedia View Post
... Also "Denver is land locked" != having to build up with higher density. just the opposite.
lets go under ground?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2017, 01:58 PM
 
20,844 posts, read 39,064,756 times
Reputation: 19080
Quote:
Originally Posted by daprara View Post
lets go under ground?
Hundreds of thousands of acres of land out east of Denver, land availability isn't a constraint....but I'd like more high rises in Denver along the rail lines. Lack of an ocean or major river isn't a constraint, but it is a feature that would add to the experiencec
__________________
- Please follow our TOS.
- Any Questions about City-Data? See the FAQ list.
- Want some detailed instructions on using the site? See The Guide for plain english explanation.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2017, 03:37 PM
 
2,243 posts, read 931,800 times
Reputation: 3677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Hundreds of thousands of acres of land out east of Denver, land availability isn't a constraint....but I'd like more high rises in Denver along the rail lines. Lack of an ocean or major river isn't a constraint, but it is a feature that would add to the experiencec
What about lack of water resources? Hasn't that been the biggest constraint in this region's growth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2017, 06:22 PM
 
540 posts, read 255,240 times
Reputation: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Hundreds of thousands of acres of land out east of Denver...
YES; if you want to live in the suburbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
What about lack of water resources? Hasn't that been the biggest constraint in this region's growth?
at this time seems not an issue. Denver water is expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2017, 06:59 PM
 
Location: Na'alehu Hawaii/Buena Vista Colorado
4,877 posts, read 9,622,106 times
Reputation: 4948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
What about lack of water resources? Hasn't that been the biggest constraint in this region's growth?
Yes, lack of water resources is a major factor. Any new development has to show that it has sufficient water rights (or can get them) to serve projected needs. Especially out on the eastern plains. But even the City and County of Denver doesn't have unlimited water availability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:39 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top