U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-09-2017, 06:32 PM
 
1,561 posts, read 2,817,479 times
Reputation: 1994

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
Winter starts Wednesday, December 21 and ends Tuesday, March 20.
Not during a leep (sic) year
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-09-2017, 06:36 PM
 
Location: In The Thin Air
12,250 posts, read 8,036,209 times
Reputation: 8903
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
Not during a leep (sic) year
Funny guy!

March 20 2018. I can't account for a leep year. Now a leap year is a totally different situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2017, 06:54 PM
 
Location: Na'alehu Hawaii/Buena Vista Colorado
4,874 posts, read 9,618,037 times
Reputation: 4942
Quote:
Originally Posted by daprara View Post

So far i lived in the mountains for about 5 years. I would NOT attempt this not as the climate has become dryer. Fire danger. I also lived next to DIA airport, Brighton and we just moved into the city. Long story short bite the bullet and aspire to live in at least Denver county. Better the city of Denver.
It is officially the City and County of Denver. Not two separate entities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2017, 02:54 AM
 
1,745 posts, read 2,125,297 times
Reputation: 3678
Quote:
Originally Posted by daprara View Post
You read peeps posting here; they are buying insulated under wear, studded Blizzak tires and micro fill jackets.
Lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2017, 02:57 AM
 
1,745 posts, read 2,125,297 times
Reputation: 3678
I've been looking at the rental market. Especially considering what everyone is saying about traffic I'd definitely be looking in Denver proper. Looking on Zillow the prices don't seem that bad. Maybe it's because I lived in NYC. Higher taxes on top of that high rent to boot. I am very much used to $2000-2500 being the norm along with a 35% tax rate. Although I am not expecting the prices of Iowa cornfields either, of course.

I'm really not that picky, all I need is a one bedroom and it doesn't have to be in a luxury building. I'm seriously the type to spend $$$ on my REI addiction before my pad, it just needs to be comfortable with a fair amount of storage space and adequate parking. I am reading about crime though and noticed it is 50% higher than the national average which raises an eyebrow for me as a single female. Although it does seem to be trending down considerably from where it was 5-10 years ago according to the stats. Are there areas you recommend more over others? My job would be on Bannock St. (across from the County Building) and I'm looking for an under 30 minute commute.

Last edited by EastBoundandDownChick; 12-10-2017 at 03:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2017, 08:13 AM
 
Location: The Berk in Denver, CO USA
13,947 posts, read 20,196,196 times
Reputation: 22575
Default Statistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
I am reading about crime though and noticed it is 50% higher than the national average which raises an eyebrow for me as a single female.
1. Almost any city will be higher than the national average.

2. That said, it appears that Denver's murder and rape rate is higher than NYC which was unexpected to me.

3. What is more important is:
a. What type of crime and will you possibly be a victim. For example, the top crimes in Denver are theft of/theft from automobiles. I have a garage and use it; therefore my expectation of being a victim is close to zero.
b. Where is the crime. If you never/seldom visit that location, you are unlikely to be a victim. When you look at the crime maps https://www.denvergov.org/content/de...tics-maps.html you will see concentrations of crime. For example, there usually big red dots near schools. Are they dangerous? No, but kids commit a lot of "mischief". Shopping centers are another example. Do you really care about shoplifting?

4. I looked the crime map for Civic Center and your work location has a HUGE red dot near it. A lot of crime occurs at the Denver Police HQ. LOL. https://www.denvergov.org/content/da...17/17civic.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2017, 09:03 AM
 
1,019 posts, read 1,102,516 times
Reputation: 679
tell your HR to give you more money , you will need money ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2017, 09:11 AM
 
Location: Denver, CO
943 posts, read 1,253,693 times
Reputation: 1036
It's taken me 4 years to truly appreciate Denver. Not sure why. Denver is becoming a transient city. People don't have recommendations on where to get your car fixed, home improvement contractors,...etc or they don't share it. I like Denver, but I wonder if San Diego would have been a better place. My suggestion is to live near work and check out all of your transportation options. Labor laws in Denver suck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2017, 09:18 AM
 
Location: Denver CO
21,002 posts, read 11,624,951 times
Reputation: 31841
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
I've been looking at the rental market. Especially considering what everyone is saying about traffic I'd definitely be looking in Denver proper. Looking on Zillow the prices don't seem that bad. Maybe it's because I lived in NYC. Higher taxes on top of that high rent to boot. I am very much used to $2000-2500 being the norm along with a 35% tax rate. Although I am not expecting the prices of Iowa cornfields either, of course.

I'm really not that picky, all I need is a one bedroom and it doesn't have to be in a luxury building. I'm seriously the type to spend $$$ on my REI addiction before my pad, it just needs to be comfortable with a fair amount of storage space and adequate parking. I am reading about crime though and noticed it is 50% higher than the national average which raises an eyebrow for me as a single female. Although it does seem to be trending down considerably from where it was 5-10 years ago according to the stats. Are there areas you recommend more over others? My job would be on Bannock St. (across from the County Building) and I'm looking for an under 30 minute commute.
Cost of living in Denver is closer to NYC than it is to Iowa corn fields. Sounds like you need to do a bit more research to figure out whether this would be a realistic move for you. Although that's admittedly a little hard to do, if you are trying to use most online cost of living calculators, as they haven't remotely kept pace with the changes here in Denver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2017, 09:20 AM
 
Location: Washington Park, Denver
6,904 posts, read 6,496,831 times
Reputation: 7353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
Winter starts Wednesday, December 21 and ends Tuesday, March 20.
Yeah. That’s easy to look up. Not sure what diapers is talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:18 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top