U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 01:42 PM

9,568 posts, read 5,766,215 times

Advertisements

Southmoor is another Denver neighborhood worth checking out. A good area for families (good schools) and walking distance to at least a few places to eat, shop, etc. (Happy Canyon Shopping Center). I think it's even walking distance to light rail. Larger lots, etc. Might be worth checking out. Here's one listing to give you an idea.
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...4_rect/10_zm/?

Last edited by MissTerri; 01-12-2018 at 01:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2018, 04:53 PM

174 posts, read 108,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I'm in Edgewater and I was thinking the same thing. Lots of nearby stuff in terms of restaurants (with more great businesses coming in) and a pretty laid-back attitude. Everyone has been very friendly and mostly tilt liberal when you're not dealing with the older residents, who are very "live and let live."

Also, I can be in downtown in 10 minutes.

And you could get something super nice with $800K.

FWIW, my former roommate and I were pretty sure the entire neighborhood thought we were a happily devoted lesbian couple based on common stereotypes since we weren't dating any guys at the time and spent most of our time together - went out on weekends for dinner together, walked our dogs together, did the grocery shopping together. Everybody seemed cool with it.
Iím in Bel Mar (North Alameda actually) and I love it. Definitely a suburb feel but I can be downtown in a few mins, walking distance to anything in Bel Mar and Sloanís Lake is close. Itís also an easy trip to go west. I love living here.

My girlfriend wants us to move to Stapleton and I hate the cookie cutter homes, tiny or basically no yards/driveways and ridiculously expensive for being so close to undesireable areas. I worry about buying a 750K home there and seeing the value plummet. Iíd like to get more information on the quality of the newer homes there too.

Anyway, Even if people arenít liberal in Lakewood/Edgewater/Arvada almost everyone here is live and let live, nobody really cares.

Old 01-12-2018, 06:58 PM

21,016 posts, read 11,633,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norrov View Post
I’m in Bel Mar (North Alameda actually) and I love it. Definitely a suburb feel but I can be downtown in a few mins, walking distance to anything in Bel Mar and Sloan’s Lake is close. It’s also an easy trip to go west. I love living here.

My girlfriend wants us to move to Stapleton and I hate the cookie cutter homes, tiny or basically no yards/driveways and ridiculously expensive for being so close to undesireable areas. I worry about buying a 750K home there and seeing the value plummet. I’d like to get more information on the quality of the newer homes there too.

Anyway, Even if people aren’t liberal in Lakewood/Edgewater/Arvada almost everyone here is live and let live, nobody really cares.
Not trying to talk you into moving to Stapleton but pretty sure that a house you might buy here isn't going to plummet in value unless we get into a situation where every house in Denver plummets in value.

In the just over 3 years since I closed on my house in Stapleton, it's increased in value by a third. That's going by actual closed sales.

Old 01-13-2018, 08:25 AM

694 posts, read 1,789,253 times
So generally speaking, the southern suburbs are more conservative, and the northwest suburbs—the ones closer to Boulder—are more liberal. Boulder itself would be great for you, but the commute would suck to Lakewood.

I would suggest you have a look at my neighborhood, Bradburn Village in Westminster. It’s a new urbanist neighborhood which means it’s mixed use with lots of shops, restaurants, and services in 5-10 minute walking distance of every home, and homes designed in neoclassical styles (porches in front, garages in back). While many homes are custom, there are also production built homes so there’s a bit of cookie cuttering, but not like most suburban neighborhoods (I realize this is subjective).

We have multiple local restaurants in walking distance, such as 5280 burger bar, Early Bird, Zen Asian Bistro, and a soon to open new Irish pub called Duggin’s. But there are chain restaurants also such as Fuzzy’s tacos, Zoe’s Kitchen, and Ted’s Montana Grill. Anywhere in the suburbs you are going to find a mix of chain and non chain. We have a fantastic little Whole Foods. We do have a number of independent breweries around, at least five I can think of, with one in a bit farther (15 min one way) walking distance—Wonderland Brewery. But I hear you about non chain restaurants, we are big fans of them also, there are ones around when you look, but we can also go into Boulder in 20 min which has a ton of non chain places—also truly outstanding hiking.

Bradburn has excellent home schools, has tons of kids, and is gay friendly. We have several same sex families here with and without kids who are welcomed. The houses are new/newer, with the first house being built in 2002 and all other homes except one being finished between now and then, so you will find the interior wants like walk-in closets. Great parks and we have the awesome Dry Creek Open Space bordering our south side with miles of running/walking/biking trails.

Many of my neighbors moved to Bradburn from city neighborhoods for the schools, and so they could get a home that didn’t need massive work for a better price, but still had some of the charm and walkability of the city.

With that being said, most yards are smaller (not all), so you’d likely have to compromise there. Commute to Lakewood is about 40 minutes. My husband used to work in the Federal Center down there, and that’s how long it took for him. Downtown is a similar commute, although you can take a very nice express bus from a close park n ride which many neighbors do.

Neighborhood is super social and everyone knows each other. Tons of events, especially for the kids like the July 4th parade and Easter egg hunt. We have food truck night in our Main park twice a month in the summer when a rotating group of food trucks come in, really fun.

Good luck with your search!

Last edited by Bradburn1; 01-13-2018 at 09:07 AM..

Old 01-14-2018, 08:16 AM

43 posts, read 42,785 times
Thank you all for the thoughtful replies. We have spent a few hours driving around the "burbs" this past week. House hunting is proving to be more difficult that we initially thought.

You guys are right when you say there is not an excited vibe from my part thinking about the burbs.

We are checking the neighborhoods you guys mentioned, including Golden, Bel Mar and Westminster.

Inventory sucks so bad right now it is giving us such a tremendous headache. maybe we just need to take a chill pill and relax for a while until things pick up..

Old 01-14-2018, 09:03 AM

641 posts, read 384,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmoneytails View Post
Thank you all for the thoughtful replies. We have spent a few hours driving around the "burbs" this past week. House hunting is proving to be more difficult that we initially thought.

You guys are right when you say there is not an excited vibe from my part thinking about the burbs.

We are checking the neighborhoods you guys mentioned, including Golden, Bel Mar and Westminster.

Inventory sucks so bad right now it is giving us such a tremendous headache. maybe we just need to take a chill pill and relax for a while until things pick up..
I hope you guys find something, eventually that does make everyone happy!

Spring/summer will be here soon with hopefully more homes... that'll give you time to explore and think more.

Old 01-15-2018, 11:28 AM

54 posts, read 64,037 times
Did you look into the Montclair/Mayfair areas of Denver...off 6th Avenue between Monaco & Quebec?

Also Southmoor is a good choice as are the new builds in University Hills.

If you can, maybe wait until spring when there's more inventory?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or