U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2018, 03:30 PM

8,717 posts, read 3,098,686 times

Advertisements

Nearly all the houses I looked at back in August had one of two kinds of back yards: something almost wholly tiled, graveled or concreted in, or weeds and sandy dirt. I get it, English Manor lawns don't thrive here (and cost a fortune to keep green).

So I am going to screen off the upper part of my back yard with a short privacy fence and do something with that level ground to make it usable as a patio... but the remaining 3/4 is a slope down to the back fences and pretty much useless except for kids and dogs to run around.

Is there any good ground cover that will thrive, take a little pounding, not require frequent mowing or trimming and look better than random scraggly weeds?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2018, 04:30 PM

6,968 posts, read 6,581,847 times
Buffalo grass, although it isnít as good as Kentucky bluegrass for foot traffic.

Kentucky bluegrass does fine if you have an irrigation system.

Buffalograss Lawns - 7.224 - ExtensionExtension

Old 01-11-2018, 06:33 PM

17,086 posts, read 9,891,093 times
We overseeded with a pretty resilient grass blend designed for the Front Range that you can find at metro area garden centers, but it doesn't trim itself, so you'd still have to mow. Otherwise, I got nothin'. Sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver