Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2018, 04:16 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,751,934 times

Advertisements

(Asking here because it seems to be a local phenomenon.)

Does anyone here (1) have CenturyLink and (2) use online bill pay to pay them? And, more to the point, (3) have trouble with the process?

I pay CL from my Bellco account like all of my other bills. Said other bills clear and register as paid with the recipient within about 2 business days - sometimes 1, or even same-day, it seems.

CenturyLink has, for five months now, taken 6 to 14 days to register these payments. It bit me on the second one, which was late as a result. So now I have to work from a calendar tickle to issue payment before I even get the bill in the mail, to allow 10 days or more for them to credit it. Serious Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot, here.

I mean, it's 2018 and they are a technologically adept company. (Hush, you. Just hush.) Does anyone have a clue why they are 1986-slow with this process? Anyone have better luck with another (larger) bank?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2018, 04:25 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,987,107 times
I've never experienced anything like that, but then again I just pay from their mobile app. Usually, it is out of my actual bank account in a couple of days.

Old 01-16-2018, 04:40 PM

2,175 posts, read 4,296,065 times
I never let anyone debit money from my bank account. There's just too much tat could go wrong.
And when I give the IRS my account info on the 1040 for a tax refund (doesn't happen often - I prefer to owe them money, rather than give them an interest-free loan, but sometimes it happens to avoid an underestimation penalty), I use a rarely used account with a balance less than $10.
Trust no one! :-)

Old 01-16-2018, 04:58 PM

7,179 posts, read 9,306,900 times
I think your problem is that you must be using a bill paying feature of your Bellco account so the payment is a push. The transaction needs to move through the bank to bank clearing system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automated_Clearing_House

I have Century Link debit my Credit Union account (a pull) and the transaction is always timely. I've been doing this for about 5 years and have never had a problem.

Old 01-16-2018, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
I never let anyone debit money from my bank account. There's just too much tat could go wrong.
I never give direct-debit authorization. I had to for home and auto insurance when I moved here - crap-azz company will not take payment any other way - and either the agent or the company mixed up the initial payment/continuing payment accounts and completely flattened my only accessible cash for almost ten days. I was left with about forty bucks in my wallet and had to borrow gas money from a friend of a friend. NEVER again, and I should have known better. (This was during the transition and my accounts in CT were all but inaccessible.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I think your problem is that you must be using a bill paying feature of your Bellco account so the payment is a push. The transaction needs to move through the bank to bank clearing system.
Which it does for five other bills in what I consider a normal time in these days of instant transactions. (I worked for banks back in the moving-paper days; I understand the process then and now.)

Quote:
I have Century Link debit my Credit Union account (a pull) and the transaction is always timely. I've been doing this for about 5 years and have never had a problem.
Many people do. I refuse on principle and bad experience to grant such authorizations.

Old 01-16-2018, 08:40 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
I use a reloadable visa for all bill pay - two actually. one personal and one for business.

Old 01-17-2018, 10:53 AM

Figured it out, I think. Exasperation level no lower.

Despite its size as a billing agency and provider, and its panoply of electronic pay options... Bellco can only pay CL by mailing a check. As if it's some mom-n-pop shoppe in Finley, North Dakota.

Sigh.

I'll just have to use their login/payment portal from now on. Switching to big C real soon now.

Old 01-17-2018, 04:11 PM

2,175 posts, read 4,296,065 times
I use Wells Fargo electronic billpay (via Quicken). They guarantee arrival date and will cover any late fees if payment arrives late. Most of my payments are done electronically, but there are still a few to whom they send paper checks.

Old 01-17-2018, 08:49 PM

All banks are pretty much equal on that basis these days - the big guys have their own department, and the little ones like Bellco contract with a provider. It's up to the recipient company to sign into the system, and the only reason I can think of why CenturyLink wouldn't - when they are a network/technology company that takes every other direction of e-pay directly - is a pretty cynical one.

But then, I opt to pay $10 more in lieu of their auto-pay "discount," so I don't think much of their business practices anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver