Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 07:59 AM

7,185 posts, read 9,320,007 times

Advertisements

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/01/1...nt-rents-fall/

Vacancy rates haven’t been this high in about seven years and in markets with heavy new construction, the rate is much higher. Castle Rock reported a vacancy rate above 25 percent and in northwest Denver it was above 30 percent in the fourth quarter.

“The record-breaking levels of new construction has been pushing vacancy up and that, more than anything else, has been what’s keeping Denver’s rents in check,” said Teo Nicolais, a real estate Instructor at Harvard Extension School, in a statement.

Williams said builders completed 13,348 units, 38 percent more than the 9,692 built in 2016. The association estimates there are 131 apartment communities under construction with 31,000 units in the pipeline.

The expectation is that the market will see another 10,000 to 12,000 new apartments delivered this year, Williams said.

Rents continue to vary widely. Northwest Denver with lots of new high-end construction had an average rent of $1,848, but not far away in Wheat Ridge, an older market, rents averaged $974.

Perhaps we're near the end of the cycle. I've seen this several times before. Greed causes builders to overshoot and rents eventually weaken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2018, 08:25 AM

5,357 posts, read 5,134,067 times
Thank you Jesus!

I've been waiting for this to happen. Denver already is a better city to rent than buy in, and it looks like this trend is only going to grow.

A lot of the new apartments are north to northeast of downtown, but I wouldn't live there because of how polluted it is. IMO, east and southeast of downtown are the best bang for your buck. West of downtown is weird.

I wonder how the quality of the new builds are? The 2 units I've lived in have been constructed with subpar construction (cracks all over the concrete walls and foundation and leaky pipes in one, and no insulation from noise or heat in the other). I would pay more $$$ if I knew a newer place would be noise insulated, sanitary feeling, and have all appliances, plumbing, and alarms working correctly.

Old 01-20-2018, 09:26 AM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Gee, the "laws" of supply and demand really do work; whoodda thunk it....
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-20-2018, 11:40 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,617,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Gee, the "laws" of supply and demand really do work; whoodda thunk it....
It was all because of marijuana.

All kidding aside I am happy that rent is decreasing. I want the younger crowd to be able to live here comfortably and enjoy all that we have to offer.

Old 01-20-2018, 11:46 AM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
It was all because of marijuana.

All kidding aside I am happy that rent is decreasing. I want the younger crowd to be able to live here comfortably and enjoy all that we have to offer.
Yes! That's it, it was the "MJ Effect" into which we factor the rotation of the earth versus the phase of the moon, divided by the square root of fake news and voila, people now head to California for MJ as well as the climate.

The home and apartment building industries went comatose during the Great Recession and foreclosure tsunami which meant they got a late start on building new stuff to meet the demand as we came out of the economic disaster. They're catching up now and a lot of new dwelling units are coming on-line. Prices should soften across the board.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-20-2018, 05:01 PM

8,865 posts, read 6,869,333 times
Do you mean homes including apartments?

The recession and mortgage issues directly supported rental construction especially early...people couldn't buy, so apartment demand boomed.

Old 01-21-2018, 01:12 PM

1,330 posts, read 699,209 times
No surprise really. All over the metro I see new apartments being built. Of course they're all "luxury" apartments.

I honestly wonder who thought building 500+ unit complexes in the suburbs was a great idea.

Old 01-23-2018, 11:30 PM

170 posts, read 241,645 times
I would assume the profit margin is higher building a luxury apartment building vs a "normal" one.

My prediction is you might see some of these luxury apartments convert to condos after 3-5yrs.

disclosure: I know nothing about real estate.

But I've never lived in a city with so many extremely nice luxury apartments. Lots of great choices out there if you're looking for a 1br in the $1600-$2000 sweet spot.

Old 01-24-2018, 12:15 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,886,305 times
What's the max rents on the whole go down? 5%? Not going to change the dynamics of the market really, just sends the signals to the builders that you're at peak pricing. But these luxury buildings will not drop their prices much, they will let units stay empty before dropping rates 20% to fill them. Meanwhile the more aged units still have low vacancies and don't have to lower rents at all.

I'd really consider living in one for a few years if the rents came down even though I already own. But alas it doesn't seem like the market is going to balance itself out at all.

Old 01-24-2018, 12:30 AM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,306 times
As someone moving to Denver in a few months I'm thrilled to hear about this. I just wish they would balance out the building of luxury rentals with regular ones as well. There are lots of people like me who can afford the higher-end places but would rather hold on to an extra grand a month and wait out the real estate market. What really matters most in my situation though is that once I move into a place the rent remains relatively stable, period. So it's great news no matter what they build in a sense, because at least the supply is going up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver