Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2018, 04:06 PM

3 posts, read 2,707 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am quite frustrated with a school district issue at the moment. My home in Thornton is really close to this decent school, about 2 miles, which falls under the Adams 12 Five Start district. However, for some insane reason the school assigned to my home is this horrible Adams 14 school almost 5 miles from my home. There was even a child sexual abuse case in that school back in 2015. I guess my question is, is there a loophole for people in situations such as mine, where the kid can go to the nearest school to them and be provided transportation? Taking into consideration that technically, the house falls on the Adams 14 in Commerce City. I know there's always the Choice program where I can try to enroll in other schools, but transpiration is not provided and I would have to pay for aftercare (I already pay for a nanny at home that stays with my 3 year old until i get home). Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2018, 07:30 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,548,648 times
I think trying to choice in is your only option. District boundaries are not flexible. This information was readily available when you moved in to this house. Shouldn’t be a surprise.

Old 02-21-2018, 07:45 AM

401 posts, read 486,914 times
From what I know being involved in Adams 12, choice and transporting yourself is likely your only option other than selling your current home and buying in a neighborhood that has a school that makes you feel more comfortable. We choice into a different school because we moved and wanted to keep our child in the same school, yes we have to juggle the transport issue but it has been worth it.

Old 02-21-2018, 08:38 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
For "some insane reason", your house is zoned to a school in the district you actually live in, instead of one in a district you don't live in. And you think this other district that you don't live in should not only provide a seat in their school for your child, they should also provide transportation?

Seriously?

No. There is no loophole. Finding out what school a house is zoned for is readily available information before you purchase or move into a house.

Old 02-21-2018, 08:56 AM

4,026 posts, read 2,711,590 times
Boundary lines happen, and have to be drawn somewhere.

I can understand the initial assumption, but only to a certain extent. My first house was almost literally across the street from a school in the Aurora School District. The street in question, however, was the dividing line between ASD and the CCSD--with my house falling in the Cherry Creek School District....the nearest school in that district being two blocks away. So on first glance, it would be understandable if I looked at the school across the street and thought, "I guess that's where my kids would go someday."

Now, I didn't really bother to check, but I also didn't have children, and had no immediate plans to have them (it was a wish, but it didn't happen.) Also, I viewed that townhouse as a 'starter home', and had I married and had children, I would have tried to sell and buy a SFH instead, in which case, I *would* have checked the local schools out. (And if moving hadn't panned out, then it would have been on me for the initial house-buying decision *I* made, not the school district.)

If you bought the house already having a child, or knowing you were planning to have them and raise them in that house, and didn't confirm the feeder school/district for your address, then that's on you, and not the local districts to make an exception for you. You can certainly choice, but transportation is again, on you, and not them.

Old 02-21-2018, 01:01 PM

356 posts, read 281,332 times
I'm sorry you're in this situation. The only thing I can think of is to double-check where your tax dollars go. I had a neighbor who's house was in District 1 according to the boundaries, but she was actually paying taxes to District 12 the entire time they lived there and all of her kids went to District 1. If you are paying District 14 taxes, then that is where you child has to attend if you want transportation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver